The Student Room Group

how do you get an A* in further maths?

i don't mean revision techniques and stuff, i mean what 3 units can count towards the overall 90% that is needed for an A*?

in normal maths i'm doing c3, c4 and s2. in FM i'm doing fp2, m2 and d2. for an A* in maths i need 90% across c3 and c4 (and 80% overall but that's implicit) but for FM i'm a bit confused - apparently you get an A* by having 90% across your 3 BEST A2 MODULES - couldn't i get this across M2, D2 and S2? or does FP2 have to be included? thanks

edit: I am on AQA
(edited 8 years ago)
Any A2 units, bar C3 and C4. In theory, you could have M2, D2 and S2 make up the A*, but FP2 needs to be in FM.
The best three are automatically used to get the A*
Original post by H0PEL3SS
Any A2 units, bar C3 and C4. In theory, you could have M2, D2 and S2 make up the A*, but FP2 needs to be in FM.

Is this true for other exam boards as well, d'you know?
do really well in all units

So are you saying one of the three A2 units MUST be FP2? Despite the fact that M2, D2 and S2 might be your 3 best?
I'm with edexcel so not sure if it's exactly the same but imagine it would be. S2, M2, D2 and FP2 need to average to above 80 (to get an A) and the best 3 of the 4 need to average to above 90 (to get an A*)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tanyapotter
So are you saying one of the three A2 units MUST be FP2? Despite the fact that M2, D2 and S2 might be your 3 best?

No, I think he's saying that FP2 has to be one of the modules you take in further maths generally; it doesn't have to be included in the best 3 calculation.
Original post by Hydeman
No, I think he's saying that FP2 has to be one of the modules you take in further maths generally; it doesn't have to be included in the best 3 calculation.

okay. so if M2, D2 and S2 go towards further maths (if they're the best 3), what would be my applied module in normal A2 maths? (because fp2 can't contribute to it, right?)
okay. so if M2, D2 and S2 go towards further maths (if they're the best 3), what would be my applied module in normal A2 maths? (because fp2 can't contribute to it, right?)

M1, D1 or S1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

M1, S1 and D1, I presume? :3 And yeah, FP2 can't contribute to applied modules because it's a pure module. You might want to do M3, S3 or other such applied modules but I've heard they're scarily difficult so it's your call, really.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by smartalan73

wait so the applied module for normal maths doesn't have to be an A2 module?! wow! thanks

suddenly the dust has cleared
Original post by Hydeman
M1, S1 and D1, I presume? :3 And yeah, FP2 can't contribute to applied modules because it's a pure module. You might want to do M3, S3 or other such applied modules but I've heard they're scarily difficult so it's your call, really.

i'm sorry it took so long to understand - i just didn't know until just now that the applied module for normal maths doesn't have to be an A2 module!
Original post by Hydeman
Is this true for other exam boards as well, d'you know?

I believe it's true for all the main exam boards (AQA, OCR, Edexcel, WJEC) but I'm not sure about CIE

No. Just like you can't have C3 in FM, you need to have your FM modules in FM, that's just common sense. But, the best 3 A2 units may not include FP2, but you'd still get the A*, assuming you meet the conditions.
I believe it's true for all the main exam boards (AQA, OCR, Edexcel, WJEC) but I'm not sure about CIE

Thank you. :smile: I did maths with WJEC. Do you know if it's possible to do further maths with a different exam board? I'm just curious - if I do further maths in my gap year, I'll probably do it with WJEC since my school only do their exams in maths and the sciences.
Original post by Hydeman
Thank you. :smile: I did maths with WJEC. Do you know if it's possible to do further maths with a different exam board? I'm just curious - if I do further maths in my gap year, I'll probably do it with WJEC since my school only do their exams in maths and the sciences.

Don't know, never seen it happen.

Quick Reply

Latest