Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i don't mean revision techniques and stuff, i mean what 3 units can count towards the overall 90% that is needed for an A*?

in normal maths i'm doing c3, c4 and s2. in FM i'm doing fp2, m2 and d2. for an A* in maths i need 90% across c3 and c4 (and 80% overall but that's implicit) but for FM i'm a bit confused - apparently you get an A* by having 90% across your 3 BEST A2 MODULES - couldn't i get this across M2, D2 and S2? or does FP2 have to be included? thanks

edit: I am on AQA

ReputationRep:
    Any A2 units, bar C3 and C4. In theory, you could have M2, D2 and S2 make up the A*, but FP2 needs to be in FM.
    The best three are automatically used to get the A*

(Original post by H0PEL3SS)
    Any A2 units, bar C3 and C4. In theory, you could have M2, D2 and S2 make up the A*, but FP2 needs to be in FM.
    Is this true for other exam boards as well, d'you know?

ReputationRep:
    do really well in all units

ReputationRep:
    So are you saying one of the three A2 units MUST be FP2? Despite the fact that M2, D2 and S2 might be your 3 best?

ReputationRep:
    I'm with edexcel so not sure if it's exactly the same but imagine it would be. S2, M2, D2 and FP2 need to average to above 80 (to get an A) and the best 3 of the 4 need to average to above 90 (to get an A*)

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by tanyapotter)
    So are you saying one of the three A2 units MUST be FP2? Despite the fact that M2, D2 and S2 might be your 3 best?
    No, I think he's saying that FP2 has to be one of the modules you take in further maths generally; it doesn't have to be included in the best 3 calculation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    No, I think he's saying that FP2 has to be one of the modules you take in further maths generally; it doesn't have to be included in the best 3 calculation.
    okay. so if M2, D2 and S2 go towards further maths (if they're the best 3), what would be my applied module in normal A2 maths? (because fp2 can't contribute to it, right?)

ReputationRep:
    okay. so if M2, D2 and S2 go towards further maths (if they're the best 3), what would be my applied module in normal A2 maths? (because fp2 can't contribute to it, right?)
    M1, D1 or S1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

M1, S1 and D1, I presume? :3 And yeah, FP2 can't contribute to applied modules because it's a pure module. You might want to do M3, S3 or other such applied modules but I've heard they're scarily difficult so it's your call, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smartalan73)
    M1, D1 or S1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    wait so the applied module for normal maths doesn't have to be an A2 module?! wow! thanks

suddenly the dust has cleared

ReputationRep:
    M1, S1 and D1, I presume? :3 And yeah, FP2 can't contribute to applied modules because it's a pure module. You might want to do M3, S3 or other such applied modules but I've heard they're scarily difficult so it's your call, really.
    i'm sorry it took so long to understand - i just didn't know until just now that the applied module for normal maths doesn't have to be an A2 module!

ReputationRep:
    Is this true for other exam boards as well, d'you know?
    I believe it's true for all the main exam boards (AQA, OCR, Edexcel, WJEC) but I'm not sure about CIE

No. Just like you can't have C3 in FM, you need to have your FM modules in FM, that's just common sense. But, the best 3 A2 units may not include FP2, but you'd still get the A*, assuming you meet the conditions.

I believe it's true for all the main exam boards (AQA, OCR, Edexcel, WJEC) but I'm not sure about CIE
    Thank you. I did maths with WJEC. Do you know if it's possible to do further maths with a different exam board? I'm just curious - if I do further maths in my gap year, I'll probably do it with WJEC since my school only do their exams in maths and the sciences.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. I did maths with WJEC. Do you know if it's possible to do further maths with a different exam board? I'm just curious - if I do further maths in my gap year, I'll probably do it with WJEC since my school only do their exams in maths and the sciences.
    Don't know, never seen it happen.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.