Turn on thread page Beta

S3 or M2?? please help watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Im doing Further Maths in One year im considering to do: FP1,FP2,D1,D2,M1,...

I have already done S1 and S2 and got 90UMS in both, Also I have already done A-level Physics.

I enjoy statistics more than mechanics but my school dont offer S3, so ill have to self-study it.

My teacher advised me to study M2, although the topics doesnt seem difficult i dont really enjoy mechanics.

What do u guys think should I take S3 or M2?? is S3 easy to self-teach?? how is M2 compared to S3, which one is harder??

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing both. I would hardly call S3 Maths - it's more learning definitions and there's a lot of memorising. Take M2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    I'm doing both. I would hardly call S3 Maths - it's more learning definitions and there's a lot of memorising. Take M2.
    Thank you!! How do find the difference between M1 and M2. and S2 and S3.

As both M1 and S2 were very easy, I also think S2 is even easier than M1.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by dragozox)

I found that for M1 --> M2, the topics were similar, but the theory behind it was a fair bit more complex.

As was said above, S3 isn't too hard - if you do lots of questions, and just get used to what they ask, you'd be able to do very well at that exam!

S2 --> S3 is definitely a lot easier than M1 --> M2!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    I found that for M1 --> M2, the topics were similar, but the theory behind it was a fair bit more complex.

As was said above, S3 isn't too hard - if you do lots of questions, and just get used to what they ask, you'd be able to do very well at that exam!

S2 --> S3 is definitely a lot easier than M1 --> M2!
    Thank you!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragozox)

The jump between M1 to M2 is about the same as S2 to S3, assuming you have the same level of skill in both mechanics and statistics. It's M3+ that's a killer. Personally, I find S2 and S3 fun but I'd imagine a lot of people wouldn't. M2 and S3 are both relatively short modules as well, but it's your choice in the end. Chapter 2 of S3 will leave you questioning whether S3 really is a Maths module or not. Chapter 3 is nitpicky and I've heard the same about 4, but the others are relatively easy and feel like a direct extension of S1 and S2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    The jump between M1 to M2 is about the same as S2 to S3, assuming you have the same level of skill in both mechanics and statistics. It's M3+ that's a killer. Personally, I find S2 and S3 fun but I'd imagine a lot of people wouldn't. M2 and S3 are both relatively short modules as well, but it's your choice in the end. Chapter 2 of S3 will leave you questioning whether S3 really is a Maths module or not. Chapter 3 is nitpicky and I've heard the same about 4, but the others are relatively easy and feel like a direct extension of S1 and S2.
    Ahah.. Thank you for the support, I ended up choosing S3
    I read on another thread that u r doing Further maths this year, Same as I do, I think we will c each other a lot on student room :P good luck.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.