Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This summer I took my AS exams in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics with ABBC respectively. I am planning on applying to Maths at Manchester University which asks for 3 As and I was only one mark off another A. I have dropped chemistry this year because getting that grade was a flook and I definitely could not continue at this standard, whereas physics I should have got higher and have much more of a love for the subject

However, one of my Maths Modules, S1, did not go well at all. In class and in tests I was consistently getting between 67 and 74 out of 74. But in my exam I only got 51 which meant I got a C. When I got my paper back I realized pretty much all of my mistakes were simply reading information wrong. On one question I misread two pieces of vital information and lost the 8 marks that would have got me an A in the module.

HELP please because doing Maths at Manchester has been my dream for so long and now I am scared that I wont even get an interview.

What should I do?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbeymaysykes)

HELP please because doing Maths at Manchester has been my dream for so long and now I am scared that I wont even get an interview.

What should I do?!
    AB in Maths/FM looks fine ... I don't think Manchester insists on FM. It's the C in Physics that strikes me as the weak spot in a subject closely aligned to Maths.

In terms of what you should do, you might talk to your teachers about how to deal with the C in your PS and what they might say to help in your references.

ReputationRep:
    This summer I took my AS exams in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics with ABBC respectively. I am planning on applying to Maths at Manchester University which asks for 3 As and I was only one mark off another A. I have dropped chemistry this year because getting that grade was a flook and I definitely could not continue at this standard, whereas physics I should have got higher and have much more of a love for the subject

However, one of my Maths Modules, S1, did not go well at all. In class and in tests I was consistently getting between 67 and 74 out of 74. But in my exam I only got 51 which meant I got a C. When I got my paper back I realized pretty much all of my mistakes were simply reading information wrong. On one question I misread two pieces of vital information and lost the 8 marks that would have got me an A in the module.

What should I do?!
    You don't have to declare individual module marks ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    You don't have to declare individual module marks ...
    I'm pretty sure that Manchester ask you to declare your Maths module marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ian.slater)
    AB in Maths/FM looks fine ... I don't think Manchester insists on FM. It's the C in Physics that strikes me as the weak spot in a subject closely aligned to Maths.

In terms of what you should do, you might talk to your teachers about how to deal with the C in your PS and what they might say to help in your references.
    I can understand where you are coming from but I am planning on resitting two of the three modules in physics because once again it was a weird anomaly and I was expecting much better.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure that Manchester ask you to declare your Maths module marks
    The website says:
    "Unit grade information The University of Manchester welcomes the provision of unit grade information which, like all other available information, will inform the consideration of applications. As detailed above, unit grades form part of the offer conditions for this degree programme. "

I don't interpret that as meaning you have to unless it says that elsewhere?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 8, 2015
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.