Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on doing an extended project and have been a little lost for ideas. I think it would be best on basing my research subject around literature, and possibly feminism as it seems like a specific approach, narrowing the scope. I was thinking of using the title, 'was the presentation of female characters in 19th century literature an accurate portrayal, considering the social context?'. Maybe this would be too broad of an approach, but I was considering using 'Jane Eyre' written by Charlotte Bronte, a short story 'the yellow wallpaper' by Charlotte Gilman and possibly 'Goblin Market' a poem by Rossetti or 'Tess of the d'Urbevilles' by Thomas Hardy as they were all written in the 19th century and touch on the same themes, also highlighting issues which would introduce theories of feminism. I'm unsure on if to pursue this idea or find another. If anybody has advice, it would be highly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I think that sounds really good. I'm doing an EPQ too right now though so I'm not an expert but as a genuine idea that sounds really interesting - one that you can definitely write a lot about. It might do to add a "To what extent...was the presentation..." because even though without it it's still the same, with a "Was?" it's like Yes/No whereas a TWE is otherwise obviously lmao you know this, my school suggests to go for TWE questions anyway. I think Tess by Hardy would be a good comparison to the other writers especially because as a man you can look at how he perceived women and whether he idealised them and if this really was the case. TYW is such a fantastic choice too, I love Gilman. Honestly with such a good question you might even want to try just using all those texts. Hope this helps, I thought I'd just offer my thoughts lmao! Good luck xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CourtneyxWood)
    I'm planning on doing an extended project and have been a little lost for ideas. I think it would be best on basing my research subject around literature, and possibly feminism as it seems like a specific approach, narrowing the scope. I was thinking of using the title, 'was the presentation of female characters in 19th century literature an accurate portrayal, considering the social context?'. Maybe this would be too broad of an approach, but I was considering using 'Jane Eyre' written by Charlotte Bronte, a short story 'the yellow wallpaper' by Charlotte Gilman and possibly 'Goblin Market' a poem by Rossetti or 'Tess of the d'Urbevilles' by Thomas Hardy as they were all written in the 19th century and touch on the same themes, also highlighting issues which would introduce theories of feminism. I'm unsure on if to pursue this idea or find another. If anybody has advice, it would be highly appreciated
    I also think it sounds really good. I got an A* in EPQ, so feel free to ask me any questions you have. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by instn)
    I think that sounds really good. I'm doing an EPQ too right now though so I'm not an expert but as a genuine idea that sounds really interesting - one that you can definitely write a lot about. It might do to add a "To what extent...was the presentation..." because even though without it it's still the same, with a "Was?" it's like Yes/No whereas a TWE is otherwise obviously lmao you know this, my school suggests to go for TWE questions anyway. I think Tess by Hardy would be a good comparison to the other writers especially because as a man you can look at how he perceived women and whether he idealised them and if this really was the case. TYW is such a fantastic choice too, I love Gilman. Honestly with such a good question you might even want to try just using all those texts. Hope this helps, I thought I'd just offer my thoughts lmao! Good luck xxx
    thank you so much xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dixietrix)
    I also think it sounds really good. I got an A* in EPQ, so feel free to ask me any questions you have. Good luck
    thank you! I really hope I can make something good out of it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dixietrix)
    Have you got any tips that you could offer us? Like on the log and timings and research? I'm slightly in the dark because I missed the sessions we had in school and we had a bad experience this year with them. Our school marked them as As but when they were marked by the exam board most went down at least 2 grades, I really hope this doesn't happen to me so whatever help you can offer, I would be so grateful for!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by instn)
    Have you got any tips that you could offer us? Like on the log and timings and research? I'm slightly in the dark because I missed the sessions we had in school and we had a bad experience this year with them. Our school marked them as As but when they were marked by the exam board most went down at least 2 grades, I really hope this doesn't happen to me so whatever help you can offer, I would be so grateful for!!
    I guess the main thing would be to just do an hour or two of work each week, so it doesn't pile up on you. Most of my class ended up writing up the report in the Easter holidays right before the deadline, which is not the best thing when you're revising for exams. I would really recommend doing a long term plan with set deadlines for each section and a brief idea for what needs to be done each week, you can adjust this anyway and put in both the initial and final plan in the appendix.

Our teacher said the main thing with the production log is to show how your project has developed. For example, how you narrowed down the field to your topic and how/why the wording of your question might have changed. Also with the research try to use as many different types of sources as possible e.g. books, documentaries, even podcasts. It shows 'depth' to your research, instead of just a list of websites.

I'm sure your project will be great. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to my teacher today about the idea and she said that since I'm doing A2 literature, the subject would be too specific so I need to pick something else 😔😔

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 10, 2015
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.