Applying DPhil for 2016/2017 cycle, possible to start in January? Watch

mhzia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey all! I just completed a MSc at Oxford and had applied for DPhil (albeit pretty late as the program was still open to applications). I sent my application in before the ultimate 31 August deadline but my referees unfortunately sent their letters in late. My application is, therefore, not going to be considered for the 2015/2016 cycle. But I was wondering, since I had found a supervisor willing to take me on as a graduate student, if I applied early during the 2016/2017 cycle, could I possibly start in January 2016? I've been told by DPhil friends at Oxford, a DPhil, although technically starts with the official term dates, can be started at anytime. Does anyone know if this is possible or has ever happened? Specifically (and just to reiterate) applying for 2016/2017 cycle and starting in January.

TL;DR - Applying for DPhil in 2016/17 cycle, and wondering, if applying early, can start in January 2016.
MonteCristo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My understanding is that it is possible to begin early but would need to be driven by your new department as something they wanted to happen. As the deadline for 2016/17 applications isn't until mid-January, it's hard to imagine that they would be able to get your application through all the necessary processes in time for you to formally register that month.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads