The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge for Classics?

Hi,
I'm applying for Classics, and I'm going for Oxbridge, but I'm not sure whether to choose oxford or Cambridge. I only decided relatively late that I was applying for classics (let alone Oxbridge) and I think I will only have time to visit the oxford open day.
To give you some background info, I am in year 13, so applying this year, and I study maths, biology and latin. I dropped chemistry. (Was originally applying for medicine hence heavily science based). I got over 95% UMS in maths, bio and latin AS level and I got 90% UMS in chemistry (which I've dropped). I can't tell you whether I like the 'feel' of oxford or Cambridge more because I haven't been to either yet (although I'm going to oxford soon). But I'm trying to make up my mind based on the course structure so would be very grateful if someone could elucidate what the differences between the oxford and Cambridge classics course is and what uni you think would be better for me based on the info I have provided above. I have looked on the websites for each university, but I find it quite hard to follow! (Bear in mind I am just applying for plain Classics, not classics and something else!) And in your opinion which one do you think has the more interesting classics course?
Thanks in advance!
I think @Lucilou101 studies Classics at Oxford so she may be able to suggest something!
Hi,
I'm applying for Classics, and I'm going for Oxbridge, but I'm not sure whether to choose oxford or Cambridge. I only decided relatively late that I was applying for classics (let alone Oxbridge) and I think I will only have time to visit the oxford open day.
To give you some background info, I am in year 13, so applying this year, and I study maths, biology and latin. I dropped chemistry. (Was originally applying for medicine hence heavily science based). I got over 95% UMS in maths, bio and latin AS level and I got 90% UMS in chemistry (which I've dropped). I can't tell you whether I like the 'feel' of oxford or Cambridge more because I haven't been to either yet (although I'm going to oxford soon). But I'm trying to make up my mind based on the course structure so would be very grateful if someone could elucidate what the differences between the oxford and Cambridge classics course is and what uni you think would be better for me based on the info I have provided above. I have looked on the websites for each university, but I find it quite hard to follow! (Bear in mind I am just applying for plain Classics, not classics and something else!) And in your opinion which one do you think has the more interesting classics course?
Thanks in advance!
Original post by Phoebus Apollo
Hi,
Thanks in advance!

Hey :smile:

The main difference is that the course at Oxford is 4 years, whereas at Cambridge it would be 3.

From what I know about the course at Cambridge, you choose an area earlier on - which you then focus on. Be it language, literature, archaeology etc. Whereas the Oxford course is designed so that you study a bit of everything for the first 5 terms (Mods), and then choose 8 papers from over 80 to take for your final papers (Greats).

The Classics department at Oxford is much larger, but obviously that doesn't always reflect quality. Both departments are very good and you would get an excellent education at either.

If you have any questions about the Oxford course - I'm happy to answer them :smile: it's a very rewarding degree but it is very challenging (that goes for Cambridge as well).
Original post by Lucilou101
Hey :smile:

The main difference is that the course at Oxford is 4 years, whereas at Cambridge it would be 3.

From what I know about the course at Cambridge, you choose an area earlier on - which you then focus on. Be it language, literature, archaeology etc. Whereas the Oxford course is designed so that you study a bit of everything for the first 5 terms (Mods), and then choose 8 papers from over 80 to take for your final papers (Greats).

The Classics department at Oxford is much larger, but obviously that doesn't always reflect quality. Both departments are very good and you would get an excellent education at either.

If you have any questions about the Oxford course - I'm happy to answer them :smile: it's a very rewarding degree but it is very challenging (that goes for Cambridge as well).

Thanks so much for your reply! How much flexibility/variety is there in the Greats in terms of what you can choose? :smile:
Also, if you get an interview at oxford, do you have a higher chance of getting in after than if you get an interview at cambridge (because I heard cambridge interview almost everyone)?
Reply 5
I can't advise you about Classics - but I strongly advise you to at least visit Cambridge and have a look around. Most (all?) colleges will let you in to have a look around their public spaces if you tell the porters (the people at the entrance gates) you are a potential applicant.

Cambridge is smaller than Oxford and does, imho, have a different "feel". You might like it - you might not. Definitely visit though...

Also join the 2016 Applicant's thread :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3554013
Thanks so much for your reply! How much flexibility/variety is there in the Greats in terms of what you can choose? :smile:
Also, if you get an interview at oxford, do you have a higher chance of getting in after than if you get an interview at cambridge (because I heard cambridge interview almost everyone)?

Quite a lot - there's a limit to around 4/5 in each section (Literature, Philosophy, History, Archaeology etc), to try and encourage you to have a bit of variety, and you have to do 4 text based to keep up your language - but it's pretty much a very wide choice.

This page has all the options - https://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/examregs/2014-15/hsoflitehuma/studentview/

Oxford interviews around 96% of Classics applicants, so not really. It's statistically easier to get in at Cambridge as its 2 applicants per place rather than 3 - but that's much of a muchness.

If you can visit on the 18th Sep, the Classics faculty and all the colleges will be open at Oxford :smile:
With your UMS scores I'd say you have a good chance of securing an interview at Cambridge, providing you have a good PS + GCSE grades. Oxford place more of an emphasis on GCSE grades which is something to consider.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by aworldalone
With your UMS scores I'd say you have a good chance of securing an interview at Cambridge, providing you have a good PS + GCSE grades. Oxford place more of an emphasis on GCSE grades which is something to consider.

GCSE grades are only used as a contextual factor by Cambridge. "Poor" grades at GCSE would not prevent a good application and in fact can be a good thing if you have improved academically at AS/A2 because it shows an upward trajectory. AS performance is MUCH more important for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Hi,
I'm applying for Classics, and I'm going for Oxbridge, but I'm not sure whether to choose oxford or Cambridge.

Many Cambridge colleges have an open day on the 19th Sept. You could do Oxford on Friday and Cambridge on Saturday...

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/events/college-open-days

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest