Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

For the past five years, I've studied at home. After doing well in my IGCSEs (A in English, B in Maths, B in Geography plus GCSE Science at B, an FCSE French Distinction and an OCR Nationals IT Distinction), I studied Maths and Government & Politics A levels with the National Extension College.

Unfortunately, I didn't take to the maths A level as I'd hoped but didn't bail soon enough resulting in an E at AS and failing the A2 because of a lack of motivation. Thankfully I did better in politics and passed with an overall C.

Since completing the exams in June, I've had plenty of time to think and I've applied for a couple of jobs, including an apprenticeship I'm sitting an assessment for tomorrow. However I've also come to the realisation, somewhat later than helpful perhaps, that studying further might well be a good thing for me.

This has put me in an interesting position as the next step I should take isn't obvious! I understand there are Access courses, Foundation degrees and years etc. I really want to find out what the right path for me is but there seem to be so many options.

I enjoyed A level Politics and it's developed into quite a passion for me in general so if I could continue studying it, I'd like to do that.

So I'm looking for advice really; any help is welcome!

ReputationRep:
    You could take another couple of A levels which complement Politics: maybe history and sociology. You could even fit these in around your apprenticeship if you don't mind hard work. That would really keep your options open.

An Access to HE course in humanities is another possibility, if you can fund it. I'm not quite sure whether you would have to pay fees, considering your age and the fact that you already have level 3 qualifications. Some universities don't like Access students who are under 21, but as you have been home-educated, they may be inclined to be flexible on that point.

You may be able to get a place on a foundation year without further qualifications. They are treated as year 0 of your degree, so you would get the same student finance arrangements as if you were starting in year 1. If you google 'foundation year humanities' you should find more information.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.