Turn on thread page Beta

BEggining of AS level physics work watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey all

So ive been set a homework for tomorrow and for the most part it is rather straightforward. However, this one question has me stumped, and its annoying me as i feel it should be straightforward.

An athlete is performing a long jump.
    at takeoff his horizontal speed is 8.0m/s and his vertical speed is 2.8m/s

a) show that the total time the athlete spends in the air is about 0.6 seconds, assuming his centre of gravity is at the same height at take off and landing

Now, i feel as if this question has something to do with to do with the fact that he is accelerating upwards at 2.8m/s and gravity pulling him down at 9.81m/s having an affect on the time, but im not 100% sure on how to show that the athlete spends 0.6 seconds in the air using the data given to me.

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED

EDIT: Turns out i am an idiot, with a little further looking i got it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 8, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.