The Student Room Group

Wanting to study A level geography without GCSE

Im currently only starting 6th form and I am interested in studying Geography as an A level but I didn't do it as a GCSE. Is it possible to do this?
Reply 1
I don't know if your school would let you, as they usually want geography as a GCSE to have been taken, but from an academic point of view I think it is possible. When i started AS level the topics we did in geography I had never covered before in my GCSE because of the units system (where your school selects which units you will do out of a list) so it was like starting a completely new subject anyway. You will be missing some background knowledge, but that's easily learned by skimming through a GCSE textbook.
Reply 2
Original post by jen_2
Im currently only starting 6th form and I am interested in studying Geography as an A level but I didn't do it as a GCSE. Is it possible to do this?

a few people in A level geography class did do A level without gcse and they managed fine. i think it would have been easier if you had done gcse but as long as your school lets you then i think it should be possible. my sixth form had no problem with students not doing a geography gcse and wanting to do it at a level too
Reply 3
Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to check with my school first!
Reply 4
I agree with others, look at tectonics and the physical geography parts beforehand - it's easy to pick up. I did my geography gcse 3 years ago, and started AS and finding tectonics slightly difficult, but if you revise hard stuff as you go until you get them, you should be fine! :smile:
Reply 5
i know people who did it at my school, and they did fine, some better than those who did take it at gcse
I am in my final GCSE Year and geography has been very, very upsetting. Whether it is the units we have taken, the class itself or the teacher I don't know. I used to like geography, but now I dread every lesson.

Not saying it will be the same for you, as I've said I enjoyed geography before, it's just my GCSE years.

Geography is not conceptually difficult, but you may be behind on definitions etc. Don't go and learn every single definition, just take note of any unknown words and learn them.

You will be slightly behind, but so will core science students, who will have to learn a whole module.

You'll be fine though, can't see geography being difficult at A-Level, just more evaluative. Sorry for long post.
Reply 7
I am studying geography even though i hadn't done it in the past. Its possible

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending