• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Watch live here: http://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2015/

Expected announcements:
    • iPhone 6S
    • Apple TV improvements
    • Potentially a new iPad
    Use this thread to discuss it - I'll be here from shortly before 6pm to commentate!

ReputationRep:
    I was going to make this thread when I got home, you just beat me to it :ahee:

Anyway, what I'm expecting;
    *New incremental iPhones. We'll get a new generation of processor and 4K capable cameras as headline features, but I don't think the 6S/7 will be any more revolutionary than that. There may be battery or software improvements to accompany these changes, but nothing that's going to set the world on fire.
    *New iPads. They'll either get announced this week or at an event later this year, but we'll get them before Christmas. Again I wouldn't expect a huge amount of change, but an updated chipset and ApplePay support are likely.
    *El Capitan release or announced release date. Simple enough really, it's expected before the end of the year and now is the prime time to announce it or release it.
    *New Apple TV or a tease of it. Apple's been too complacent in recent years, there's a swarm.of devices that can beat the AppleTV in some combination of price, power and features. Apple won't compromise on price, so we're likely to see something with 4K playback and potentially a focus on running iOS games at high resolutions.

Things less likely to happen;
    *4K iMacs. We already have a 5K one, but a 4K model is highly likely to emerge eventually according to data taken from preview builds of El Capitan. However it's likely to be a mobile focussed event and I think we're more likely to see a 21.5" 4K model announced in the spring.
    *MacBook Air updates. A proper update is long overdue, but the newly revived MacBook will be eating into its niche and reducing its popularity. I reckon we're more likely to see the MBA phased out next year in favour of a MacBook with more expansion and a lower price tag. However if we do see a MBA update, it will gain ForceTouch, or lose a few hundred quid, and otherwise remain similar.

I think we'll see other minor announcements too, but on the hardware front that's what I'm anticipating.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully the fix that will stop my poxy MBP not be **** any more. That said, the fix will either be "buy a new MBP" or "defy your manager's ridiculous edicts and order an XPS or the forthcoming Surface Pro 4.

Nything else might as well be a pile of manure for all I care. It'll all be incrwmental tweaks with nothing even remotely uniquw or revolutionary.

ReputationRep:
    Having bit of trouble with iphone 5, cannot hear caller etc, battery doesnt last long. I love the iphones as so easy to use, hopefully will look at getting a 6 when the prices start coming down.

ReputationRep:
    I think Apple will just gain customers with how bad Microsoft is doing lately. Two bad operating systems back-to-back.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by KBradders)
    I think Apple will just gain customers with how bad Microsoft is doing lately. Two bad operating systems back-to-back.
    Is Windows 10 really turning out to be that bad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roving Fish)
    From what I have read up 10 will be better than 8, but probably not as good as 7.

Back on topic, would love to see what Apple will actually announce.

ReputationRep:
    Quite a lot wrong with it from what I've seen. Unsupported CPUs, incompatible graphic cards etc. Then there has been security issues with it - namely Microsoft taking details of your computer activity for personalised advertising and people not realising. Besides that, not too keen on them keeping the live tiles in the start menu. Live tiles belong on touch screen devices, not normal laptops and desktop PCs.

I'm keeping my gaming laptop on Windows 7, but I think that will be the last ever Windows machine I will have.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Stream now live.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    So far:

- New models of Watch (aesthetics only, no hardware updates from the looks of it)
    - iPad Pro (bigger iPad)
    -- 12.9" Retina Rscreen
    -- A9X chip (1.8x faster than A8X)
    -- 360 times faster GPU
    -- Utilises Metal
    -- Faster than 80% of portal PCs in the last 12 months (CPU)
    -- 90% for Graphics
    -- 10 hour battery life
    -- 4 speaker system, automatically adjusting to orientation
    -- 3 x volume than iPad Air 2
    -- 6.9mm thick
    -- 700g weight
    -- Keyboard accessory, like Microsoft Surface
    -- Apple Pencil with a cheeky voiceover from Jony Ive. The accessory recharges by lightning connector and will be incredibly specific. Aimed at illustrators etc.
    - Touch iD
    - Starts at around £550 (with Apple Tax)
    - Out in November

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised to see the iPad Pro announced here as opposed to getting its own event.

ReputationRep:
    A Lightning connector just sticking out of the stylus? I see lots of snapped connectors incoming.

It will be interesting to find out if there's a proper digitiser or just software/hardware tricks.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Gofre)
    A Lightning connector just sticking out of the stylus? I see lots of snapped connectors incoming.
    That part is insane. (I'm updating my post above yours)...

Snap snap snap snap.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    LOL Microsoft.

ReputationRep:
    LOL Microsoft.
    "It's a thrill to be here today"

Running through translate;

"My boss said he'll fire me if I don't go".
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Gofre)
    "It's a thrill to be here today"

Running through translate;

"My boss said he'll fire me if I don't go".
    List of things you don't expect to see at an Apple reveal:
    • Microsoft
    • Steve Jobs

ReputationRep:
    As somebody who uses Netflix, NowTV and Amazon Prime TV, as well as the standard on demand services from BBC and Channel 4, Apple TV pulling search results from all services at once is majorly appealing. Hopefully the price is competitive with the sub-£50 devices like Chromecast and FireTV stick that are easily the most popular devices of this type.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Those guys are earning stacks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I found it funny that GILT lady runs a fashion app but can't get a bra that hides her nipples. That'll be embarrassing for her in playback.

Also - iPhone please.

ReputationRep:
    Apple Tv is sick, getting one <3

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.