spurs9393
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,

I've just started AS English Lit and am determined to get an A this year and am A* overall.

The texts I'm currently studying are Coriolanus and The Great Gatsby. Are there any other books which will help me with these; either fictional novels which will help with the context, or analyses, critiques, non-fictional works etc...?

Thanks a lot!
spurs9393
Rep:
?
Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tank Girl
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi!

It's always a good idea to read other texts that the author has written- Tender is the Night is a fantastic novel written by Fitzgerald, and well worth a read. You could also read other American novels written in the same time period? (Like Hemingway). The Waste Land by TS Eliot would also be a good read, comparing Eliot's description of 'the waste land' of a post war Europe and Fitzgerald's description of the 'waste land' between West Egg and the city. (Lots has been written on this subject!).

Maybe with Coriolanus you could watch the film version- it's a good way of beginning to think critically about the themes and characters. Just don't rely on it when it comes to doing any writing on the actual play!
spurs9393
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tank Girl)
Hi!

It's always a good idea to read other texts that the author has written- Tender is the Night is a fantastic novel written by Fitzgerald, and well worth a read. You could also read other American novels written in the same time period? (Like Hemingway). The Waste Land by TS Eliot would also be a good read, comparing Eliot's description of 'the waste land' of a post war Europe and Fitzgerald's description of the 'waste land' between West Egg and the city. (Lots has been written on this subject!).

Maybe with Coriolanus you could watch the film version- it's a good way of beginning to think critically about the themes and characters. Just don't rely on it when it comes to doing any writing on the actual play!
Thanks a lot, will definitely give them a go!

Posted from TSR Mobile
citydeer
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
like the other person said read other works by the author and also maybe some other works from the same period or genre

also, some revisuon guides have good extra articles, and it depends on your shool but we had a subscription to sometbjng called e magazine, which had lots of articles about different aspects of the book - if not judt try googling 'great gatsby articles' or something like that, maybe even ask your teacher as mine had lots of articles to give us

i found articles really helpful as they showed lots of different views on the text and were also a quick read! good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.49%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.8%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.07%
I need help with my personal statement (55)
39.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (35)
25.36%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.17%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.25%

Watched Threads