Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    About 4 months ago i was driving along and I was about to drive around a bend when a car coming from bend went into my lane and narrowly avoided hitting the car on the front but hit into the side denting it and took the wing mirror out. It was a tight bend and in your lessons you are taught to drive around it slowly. At the scene the person who was 18 admitted fault so I didn't ring the police he seemed like a genuine person. It was my first crash so I was in shock and don't know what to do he said he didn't have his insurance details so he would ring later.

I manage to drive home and rang the police then just to mention it. I rang my insurance to let them know and give them the drivers name and registration. I went to the hospital and I did suffer from whiplash. Anyway the person text me saying that I shouldn't ring the insurance he would just get my car fixed at the garage I told him it was too late as Iv already done it he said ok he will too. He came round one on the night with his dad coz his dad wanted to look at my car they took a picture of my car and off they went saying they were going to the hospital this was 8 hours after the crash.

My case is still ongoing as he is saying that I drove into his lane and hit his car but my car had no front damage to it. It got sent to the insurance garage and they said it was written off I was surprised coz it didn't look that bad but apparently needed a whole new side panel. My solicitors (I have a whiplash claim in) said they will it an offer in but I don't want a split 50/50 liability as it wasn't my fault .

Also I'm still paying my insurance for a car that I don't have which I don't understand. Apologies as this is a long story but I just want to know is there anyway I'm going to win like if I let it go to court and how does a 50/50 liability work if I do have a whiplash claim. I'm just unhappy that this lad could get away with it when he knows it was his fault.

ReputationRep:
    Don't admit fault if it wasn't your fault. stick to your guns, otherwise you'll appear to have lied to them earlier even though you haven't. If there weren't any witnesses to the crash then its going to be a struggle to prove who was at fault sadly, just stick to your story

Its not just a panel, but any damage underneath and then the expense of fitting the panel, getting the colour to match etc.

Its scrotes like that which are making me consider getting a dashcam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    Don't admit fault if it wasn't your fault. stick to your guns, otherwise you'll appear to have lied to them earlier even though you haven't. If there weren't any witnesses to the crash then its going to be a struggle to prove who was at fault sadly, just stick to your story

Its not just a panel, but any damage underneath and then the expense of fitting the panel, getting the colour to match etc.

Its scrotes like that which are making me consider getting a dashcam.
    I had a passenger in the car and he had 2 of his mates in his car but according to my insurance in England passengers aren't classed as witnesses. I did see couple of people walking past but because i was in shock i didnt ask and they didnt offer to be a witness.

I am going to stick to my guns just a bit worried if it does go court then i may lose or it may go to a 50/50 liability, im just hoping the text messages count for something. When i eventually get a car i will be investing in a dash cam so this doesnt happen again i just wish i had phoned the police on the scene.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.