The Student Room Group

Help with maths question

image.jpgHow do you do.. Number 20
Original post by RiahDawson
image.jpgHow do you do.. Number 20

Firstly do you know what to do when you have a minus sign in the exponent?
Reply 2
Original post by gagafacea1
Firstly do you know what to do when you have a minus sign in the exponent?

Well I know you usually it's

But having a fraction confuses me image.jpg
Well I know you usually it's

But having a fraction confuses me image.jpg

Great! Now isn't aa the same as a1\frac{a}{1}? Meaning that to remove the minus sign, you turn the fraction upside down (ie turning it to its reciprocal). So if you do that to 3c\frac{3}{c}, it becomes ...?

Also remember that exponentiation (raising to a number) is distributive over multiplication, and therefore division. In other words, just like how you did part 19 by putting the 2 above the p and the q, you do the same for fractions, you put it above both numbers.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Great! Now isn't aa the same as a1\frac{a}{1}? Meaning that to remove the minus sign, you turn the fraction upside down (ie turning it to its reciprocal). So if you do that to 2c\frac{2}{c}, it becomes ...?

image.jpg Ooooh now I'm starting to understand thank you ^_^" I just thought the 1 magically appears outa nowhere cause I learnt it as a rule.
image.jpg Ooooh now I'm starting to understand thank you ^_^" I just thought the 1 magically appears outa nowhere cause I learnt it as a rule.

Yes exactly! And now you have (c3)2\displaystyle \left(\frac{c}{3}\right)^2. Which btw I edited my post above to give you an idea of how to do.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Yes exactly! And now you have (c2)2\displaystyle \left(\frac{c}{2}\right)^2. Which btw I edited my post above to give you an idea of how to do.

Thank you so much
Reply 7

The question was (3c)2\left(\frac{3}{c}\right)^{-2} not (2c)2\left(\frac{2}{c}\right)^{-2} by the way.
Original post by notnek
The question was (3c)2\left(\frac{3}{c}\right)^{-2} not (2c)2\left(\frac{2}{c}\right)^{-2} by the way.

woops. Thanks !

Quick Reply

Latest