Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I just started year 12 and have been trying to find medical related work experience for a while now. I have tried an elderly home, and my local NHS trust, who said they would deal with the enquiry but I have heard nothing back. Apparently contacting your local trust is all you can do to get work experience in a hospital/GP, but has anyone tried anything else? Also, my local GP said I can't do work experience there because of confidentiality. I'd really appreciate any help or tips, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Getting medical work experience is very difficult. I personally did it through my father because he has contacts. However you do not have to have work experience at a hospital or a GP surgery (its good if you do but you don't have to).Try volunteering at an elderly home, your local hospice, disability centres, youth clubs etc. Also try volunteering at your local charity shops such as the British Heart Foundation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChloexCharlotte)
    Hello! I just started year 12 and have been trying to find medical related work experience for a while now. I have tried an elderly home, and my local NHS trust, who said they would deal with the enquiry but I have heard nothing back. Apparently contacting your local trust is all you can do to get work experience in a hospital/GP, but has anyone tried anything else? Also, my local GP said I can't do work experience there because of confidentiality. I'd really appreciate any help or tips, thanks!
    Keep pestering your local hospital - find out if they have a work experience coordinator. If they do, bother them until you get a decent answer. If not, try whoever is in charge of volunteering.

At the same time, start emailing consultants' secretaries (you should be able to find the relevant contact details on the hospital's website) - write a good covering letter and CV and send emails out en masse.

Eventually someone will say yes - you don't need masses of experience, a few days will do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Keep pestering your local hospital - find out if they have a work experience coordinator. If they do, bother them until you get a decent answer. If not, try whoever is in charge of volunteering.

At the same time, start emailing consultants' secretaries (you should be able to find the relevant contact details on the hospital's website) - write a good covering letter and CV and send emails out en masse.

Eventually someone will say yes - you don't need masses of experience, a few days will do.
    Ok thank you I will try that

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.