Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The deal is that I have just moved into my student accommodation, and my year starts in a couple of days, I have a job, but it only covers the rent. I do not receive maintenance grant due to being an EU student, and I managed to get a bad credit score because I went into overdraft a couple of times, so I cannot apply for a student account with any bank.

Does anyone know what I could do to support myself? Or is this basically it and I should just go home?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poisonedcookie)
    The deal is that I have just moved into my student accommodation, and my year starts in a couple of days, I have a job, but it only covers the rent. I do not receive maintenance grant due to being an EU student, and I managed to get a bad credit score because I went into overdraft a couple of times, so I cannot apply for a student account with any bank.

Does anyone know what I could do to support myself? Or is this basically it and I should just go home?
    Many universities have hardship funds etc, but they may be restricted to UK nationals.

ReputationRep:
    You really should have worked this out BEFORE you got to uni! Did you not think about it?

The only things I can think of is either borrowing money from family or trying to get hardship funds from your university- although I doubt they will cover your living expenses for all three years. I don't understand how you didn't see this coming....

ReputationRep:
    If you can't afford uni then why did you come?

ReputationRep:

I'm afraid EU students are expected to be able to have their own source of funds. Can your parents not help you at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenx301)
    You really should have worked this out BEFORE you got to uni! Did you not think about it?

The only things I can think of is either borrowing money from family or trying to get hardship funds from your university- although I doubt they will cover your living expenses for all three years. I don't understand how you didn't see this coming....
    The problem was that I have been living here for about 14 years of my life, but there was an issue with my application and I was denied maintenance loan on the grounds of my nationality. Most get the Home student status at this point, but some of my circumstances were slightly different and I wasn't expecting it at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    I'm afraid EU students are expected to be able to have their own source of funds. Can your parents not help you at all?
    They can a little, but it's definitely not enough to survive :/

ReputationRep:
    The problem was that I have been living here for about 14 years of my life, but there was an issue with my application and I was denied maintenance loan on the grounds of my nationality. Most get the Home student status at this point, but some of my circumstances were slightly different and I wasn't expecting it at all.
    SF entitlement is based on "Ordinary Residence" in the UK (or things like ILR/DLR/refugee status, which are unlikely to apply as you're from the EU). It has nothing to do with your nationality.

Did SF give you a full explanation? Are you sure you don't have grounds for appeal?

ReputationRep:

Hello, I've been in a similar situation. You should contact the money advice team in the university you're about to start and tell them about the situation. They can help you trace up your application and find out why all this is happening. Also if they find out you're eligible they may provide you emergency crisis loan (if they have one) for you to use till you get your sf paid (beware this has to be paid back, depending on the university you go to). Also as a few people said you should apply for hardship fund.

If it's too difficult you could consider deferring maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the above poster. If you cannot get any assistance after appealing with SFE, then defer your place / take a leave of absence and work hard and save up for a year or two, then complete your degree when you're in a better position financially.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.