The Student Room Group

Are 5Alevels a good idea?

I am currently in Year 11 and initially I was going to take 4 alevels:
-Maths
-Further Maths
-Physics
-Computing
(I want to become a Software Engineer in the future)
I also really want to do Spanish because I have always wanted to learn a second language, I currently do Spanish at GCSE and am targeted an A.

Would all these Alevels be too much for me, I believe am capable and really enjoy Maths, Computing and Physics (Targeted A*'s).

Is Spanish at Alevel time consuming? Would it be a good idea?

-UPDATE-

5AS levels, and 4Alevels at the end of the day (dropping one).
Is it possible to drop maths because I will carry on with Further Maths?
If I was to drop Spanish would I have grasped the language?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If you think you've got a good chance of getting 4A*'s, then I wouldn't.

You could always do spanish to AS if you really want to.

You can always build on your GCSE and go from there reading the news, financial news, watching programmes on youtube in spanish, travelling to Barcelona for £20 with megabus to use your language and getting a english speaking job in Spain to get your language going and see how it goes from there.
would you willing to be spending all your free time studying, consider how you may not be able to partake in extra curricular activities - universities love that stuff!
also, if you want to do spanish as you like it as a subject why dont you just do it at AS and not take it onto A2 as the stress levels tend to double up whilst doing A2, speaking from experience.. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by MunaFuzzyG
I am currently in Year 11 and initially I was going to take 4 alevels:
-Maths
-Further Maths
-Physics
-Computing
(I want to become a Software Engineer in the future)
I also really want to do Spanish because I have always wanted to learn a second language, I currently do Spanish at GCSE and am targeted an A.

Would all these Alevels be too much for me, I believe am capable and really enjoy Maths, Computing and Physics (Targeted A*'s).

Is Spanish at Alevel time consuming? Would it be a good idea?

Hello! I would really just say its down to you. I did 5 AS levels last year and if I'm completely honest it was a lot of work. I've dropped down to 3 this year simply because more than that is unnecessary. To do 5 A levels well you have to be good and VERY dedicated to your studies. I spent countless hours revising and ultimately scored average across the board (2 As 2Bs 1 c). I personally regretted doing 5 because I spent a lot more time on other subjects which I didn't even need and I now I'm going to need to work a lot harder this year. At one point I did feel like I was going to go crazy. On saying this I don't want to be all NO and put you off because its your decision but it'll be hard. The upsides are that you'll be an all rounder so you can put it on your personal statement and that further maths pretty much makes normal maths a walk in the park. I do know someone who got 5A*s at a level so its not impossible. Just really difficult haha
Reply 4
Original post by Protagoras
If you think you've got a good chance of getting 4A*'s, then I wouldn't.

You could always do spanish to AS if you really want to.

You can always build on your GCSE and go from there reading the news, financial news, watching programmes on youtube in spanish, travelling to Barcelona for £20 with megabus to use your language and getting a english speaking job in Spain to get your language going and see how it goes from there.

Am abit confused on your first statement...
Thank you for the reply.
Reply 5
Original post by cookiemunch
would you willing to be spending all your free time studying, consider how you may not be able to partake in extra curricular activities - universities love that stuff!
also, if you want to do spanish as you like it as a subject why dont you just do it at AS and not take it onto A2 as the stress levels tend to double up whilst doing A2, speaking from experience.. :smile:

I want to do 5AS, then 4A2 (dropping one). Is it possible to drop Maths because would it be necessary if you do Further Maths at A2? If I was to do Spanish at AS would I have grasped the language? I am someone who is able to balance studying with extra curriculum activities, as I like Sports and literally go to the library after school every day!
Thank you for the reply!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Tas Kola
Hello! I would really just say its down to you. I did 5 AS levels last year and if I'm completely honest it was a lot of work. I've dropped down to 3 this year simply because more than that is unnecessary. To do 5 A levels well you have to be good and VERY dedicated to your studies. I spent countless hours revising and ultimately scored average across the board (2 As 2Bs 1 c). I personally regretted doing 5 because I spent a lot more time on other subjects which I didn't even need and I now I'm going to need to work a lot harder this year. At one point I did feel like I was going to go crazy. On saying this I don't want to be all NO and put you off because its your decision but it'll be hard. The upsides are that you'll be an all rounder so you can put it on your personal statement and that further maths pretty much makes normal maths a walk in the park. I do know someone who got 5A*s at a level so its not impossible. Just really difficult haha

Thank you for the reply!
Am I able to drop Maths at A2 if I do Further Maths?
Yeah a fair amount to be honest, since you've studied until GCSE anyways it'll just be a build up - based on the exam board and curriculum you follow that is. why dont you have a look at the spec in advance?
If I was to do Spanish at AS would I have grasped the language?

I did AS German and A2 Italian and found that by the end of the German AS I had a grasp of the majority of the grammar and much more vocab. From my experience the A2 is more focused on the study of literature and I learned very little new grammar and a bit of new vocab. I would say do the AS then working on it in your free time afterwards is probably the best way to learn the language. There will be less pressure learning it in your own time and you will learn stuff relevant to you.
Reply 9
Original post by DestinySky
I did AS German and A2 Italian and found that by the end of the German AS I had a grasp of the majority of the grammar and much more vocab. From my experience the A2 is more focused on the study of literature and I learned very little new grammar and a bit of new vocab. I would say do the AS then working on it in your free time afterwards is probably the best way to learn the language. There will be less pressure learning it in your own time and you will learn stuff relevant to you.

Thank you very much!
Reply 10
Yeah a fair amount to be honest, since you've studied until GCSE anyways it'll just be a build up - based on the exam board and curriculum you follow that is. why dont you have a look at the spec in advance?

Thank you :biggrin:
I normally teach myself everything in the Summer before School and was going to do that for Alevel also.
Thank you very much!

You'e welcome :smile:
You can't drop maths and keep further maths. If you drop one of them - it has to be further maths.
Way way way too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
1) You don't need more than 3 A levels to be accepted by ANY UK University.

2) A*A*A* will always look better than BBBBB.
No problem! Generally at A2 people do both maths and further or just maths because with further maths you're guaranteed an A/a* for maths as it helps so much. I wouldn't recommend dropping maths as a lot of the content crops up in further. Hope that helps
Reply 16
Original post by ¡Muy bien!
You can't drop maths and keep further maths. If you drop one of them - it has to be further maths.

Okay Thanks.
Reply 17
Original post by returnmigrant
1) You don't need more than 3 A levels to be accepted by ANY UK University.

2) A*A*A* will always look better than BBBBB.

That is not my reasoning though, I just really want to do all those 5 subjects. :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by Jenneyjones67
Way way way too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

5AS and 4Alevels at the end of the day?

Actually, more academic universities such as Oxford, LSE, UCL etc don't really care about extra curricular activities at all! In my personal statement I never mentioned one thing to do with extra curricular activities and was still given an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest