The Student Room Group

Should I quit my job and study computing?

Hello,

Would it be a good idea to quit my job and go for a Computing course (BSc (Hons) with a Foundation Year) if I don't know exactly what I like? I am hoping it will let me discover what I like and what I'm good at while there. The way I see it is, if I don't try I won't know. I didn't think University was really a goal of mine, but it turns out it is. I just want to prove myself because I think I'm slightly more intelligent than previously shown...

So, anyone who has studied Computing (not Computer Science) please give me all the advice and tips you can. Have you since left and found work? Was it worth it? Was the course so hard that you wanted to rip your hair out?

Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Techno22
So, anyone who has studied Computing (not Computer Science) please give me all the advice and tips you can. Have you since left and found work? Was it worth it? Was the course so hard that you wanted to rip your hair out?

I'm studying Computer Science at the moment, and I've not found it exceptionally difficult as yet. Obviously that'll depend on your experience, and which uni you attend, but it should be manageable if you keep up with the workload.

I've only done the first two years, so not looking at graduate work yet - but I'm on placement at the moment, and didn't struggle too much finding a job for that; there're good opportunities out there.

Have you considered a part time course, if you'd rather not quit work?
Computer Science will give you a lot of options, and their are people who come out of university who find jobs. When you go to uni, make the most out of societies, volunteer work, try to get good grades in your first year so you can apply for summer work experience.

I'm into my second year of Computer Science and the first year wasn't that difficult, obviously you will have to go to the lectures, do the reading, practice the questions, ask students and teacher for help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending