Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Advice really needed ASAP PLEASE,

I am a very happy person with a good life but for some reason I seem to have started having panic attatcks and depressing thoughts, this has beeen not stop for a week.

I haven't visited a GP in 5 + years and have never visited about mental health.

I would like to know about peoples experiences of visiting a GP for anxiety issues?

I have a good life and do not want to be classed as "mentally ill", this on a medical record could ruin a career i am interested in.

I basically want to see if what i'm going through is normal & not a result of a serious mental or physical problem.

I worry so many people have anxiety and depression that doctors are unable to offer real help and instead just hand out tablets. How understanding would a doctor be of my medical record problem?

I would welcome any thoughts

ReputationRep:
    This is the 21st century, every GP in the UK should be trained to deal with mental health triggers compassionately. It's good you've identified the problem, not recognising it sooner will have worse consequences than just losing a potential career.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Not all GPs will just hand out tablets.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I went to the doctors a few months ago because I was having panic attacks and suffering from anxiety. The doctor did put me on medication and also put me on a waiting list to see a psychiatrist for CBT.

I was very reluctant to take the medication and didnt start taking it immediately but I have since started and have been amazed how much of an improvement I have seen. There are some medications you have to take every day and some you can take as and when you feel an attack coming on.

At the end of the day, the doctor cant make you take any medication and if you really don't want to then you can let them know and they can suggest alternative ways to deal with panic attacks. Its all about talking to your doctor and working out what will be best for you.If you have any questions let me know.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Your medical record won't be passed on to ANY job unless you agree to it.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by XElizzaX)

At the end of the day, the doctor cant make you take any medication and if you really don't want to then you can let them know and they can suggest alternative ways to deal with panic attacks. Its all about talking to your doctor and working out what will be best for you.If you have any questions let me know.
    This is true. I said I didn't want to take medication and it was just "ok, fine".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Your medical record won't be passed on to ANY job unless you agree to it.
    But can you be refused a job for not passing it on? Just a thought.

ReputationRep:
    I can almost guarantee you that untreated mental health problems will be more of a barrier to your future career than getting help would be.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice, genuinely means a lot, never had anything like this before so its SO nice to get help.

I'll look up the rules but i certain jobs do require a medical health record or a signature by GP before starting.

Obviously health comes before career but I don't want to risk a career over something that may be gone next week.

Has anyone suffered intense anxiety without reason and had is disappear without reason?

I have booked a appointment with my GP btw.

ReputationRep:
    I know there are a few careers where they ask for a medical report but I think these are quite rare. I am currently on a grad scheme and had to be signed off due to anxiety and was actually promoted whilst I was off so a I think employers are becoming more understanding

Since I have started being more open with people about my anxiety I have spoken to quite a few people who have had panic attacks/anxiety. For some of them it was a short term thing but it is still good that you are going to the doctor. I think panic attacks are very common, some people can have one or two and then be fine, others may need a little help (medicine/therapy).

Good luck at the doctors

ReputationRep:
    yeah thanks,

I've casually opened up to people in last day or so. Seems what i'm going through is stupidly common,

Not sure if that is scary or comforting

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 10, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.