Turn on thread page Beta

Help please.. feel like complete and utter crap watch

So I've just been rejected from 2 part time jobs that I applied to. The first one, I made it past the group interview stage and was rejected following the assessment/induction session. The next one was for a food retail place, I did a trial shift for 3 hours where I had to serve customers making things like milkshakes and packaging little cakes for them. I don't know what I did wrong, I did take money off a customer which apparently I wasn't supposed to and the customer left before I could give the change back. Also I think I charged her the wrong price, but then again I had just started and was expected to remember all these prices of the food. Other than that I can't see what I did wrong. Has anyone been in a similar experience b/c I feel really bad, I'm normally quite clumsy so maybe it was my clumsiness that let me down. Ngl I did sort of struggle to package some boxes but then again it was my first ever time doing a job like that. And I was there for 3 hours! What could they have seen that was so off-putting in 3 hours? Would really appreciate some feedback please

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, loads of people get rejected from their first jobs. It's completely normal so don't worry about it. At least now you know that you must work as well as you can as you don't need to improve on.

Go out, apply for a new job and don't come back until you have one! Jk, come back but don't give up!! That's really important.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    graduates from oxbridge can't get jobs, no matter just apply for another one

(Original post by Edosawr)
    Don't worry, loads of people get rejected from their first jobs. It's completely normal so don't worry about it. At least now you know that you must work as well as you can as you don't need to improve on.

Go out, apply for a new job and don't come back until you have one! Jk, come back but don't give up!! That's really important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you

I just know that I'm not usually good at practical tasks and I am quite clumsy so I thought that may be the reason why I was rejected. But when I think of it I can't remember doing anything too crazy like spilling something lol so I don't know what they were expecting, it was my first time

ReputationRep:
    3 ****ing hours and group interviews, it's disgusting. They should just be honest, save themselves the trouble and select names out of a hat. HR consultants have a lot to answer for.

OP, part time unskilled retail jobs are literally a lottery. Buy enough tickets and you will eventually win a prize. Do not imagine there is actually any objective reason for your having failed.

(Original post by interact)
    graduates from oxbridge can't get jobs, no matter just apply for another one
    :O Are u serious or being sarcastic? Thanks though , yeah I guess I'll have to keep on trying

(Original post by scrotgrot;59221101[b)
    ]3 ****ing hours and group interviews, it's disgusting[/b]. They should just be honest, save themselves the trouble and select names out of a hat. HR consultants have a lot to answer for.

OP, part time unskilled retail jobs are literally a lottery. Buy enough tickets and you will eventually win a prize. Do not imagine there is actually any objective reason for your having failed.
    :rofl: Ikr!

But really? Why else would they take me on for an interview, put me on a trial shift, if it wasn't the trial shift that was the objective reason I failed?

Thank you btw

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry. Everyone makes mistakes, especially when nervous about a possible job!

I've been rejected from 420-ish jobs (since leaving uni) so we just have to peservere

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    :rofl: Ikr!

But really? Why else would they take me on for an interview, put me on a trial shift, if it wasn't the trial shift that was the objective reason I failed?

Thank you btw
    [img]http://img.memecdn.com/slavery-it-gets-****-done_o_848436.jpg[/img]

(Original post by holson)
    Don't worry. Everyone makes mistakes, especially when nervous about a possible job!

I've been rejected from 420-ish jobs (since leaving uni) so we just have to peservere

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ikr, it's so nerve wracking when the customers and everyone is watching what you're doing and you're new to it all! Indeed we shall! Have you been through a trial shift sort of thing before? I just feel like I must have been really bad to be rejected after being accepted for a trial shift

(Original post by scrotgrot)
    [img]http://img.memecdn.com/slavery-it-gets-****-done_o_848436.jpg[/img]
    Link doesn't work?

ReputationRep:
    Ikr, it's so nerve wracking when the customers and everyone is watching what you're doing and you're new to it all! Indeed we shall! Have you been through a trial shift sort of thing before? I just feel like I must have been really bad to be rejected after being accepted for a trial shift
    No, I haven't. Well, I did in 2011 for a summer job but tbh they didn't give a toss what I did there

A trial is just a trial, don't be so hard on yourself

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Link doesn't work?

I'm sorry I don't follow lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry I don't follow lol
    In giving you a trial shift even though they knew they were going to reject you (although the criticism would still hold even if you had been accepted) they got x hours of free labour off you

In giving you a trial shift even though they knew they were going to reject you (although the criticism would still hold even if you had been accepted) they got x hours of free labour off you
    Lol I didn't even think of that...too busy mourning over my rejection haha. But why do you say the bit in bold? Maybe it's because they knew by my CV that I hadn't worked in that sort of environment before

ReputationRep:
    Lol I didn't even think of that...too busy mourning over my rejection haha. But why do you say the bit in bold? Maybe it's because they knew by my CV that I hadn't worked in that sort of environment before
    I am going off what you said about your suspicions that they knew they weren't gonna choose you, but like I say it doesn't matter wrt the free labour. Fwiw trial shifts are not the end of the world in my view but they should not be longer than two hours

I am going off what you said about your suspicions that they knew they weren't gonna choose you, but like I say it doesn't matter wrt the free labour. Fwiw trial shifts are not the end of the world in my view but they should not be longer than two hours
    Huh I didn't say that lol but anyway you're saying that regardless, they shouldn't have used me for free labour?

ReputationRep:
    Huh I didn't say that lol but anyway you're saying that regardless, they shouldn't have used me for free labour?
    Well no and as I say there should be limits to trial shifts or at least compensation when you are hired but whatevs it's not going to kill you

ReputationRep:
    :O Are u serious or being sarcastic? Thanks though , yeah I guess I'll have to keep on trying
    serious

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 10, 2015
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.