Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is something I've noticed for quite some time.Ive realised that I don't eat enough .I can see I've lost a lot of weight when I look at myself in the mirror.The thing is its difficult for me to eat more.I just don't get hungry.

E.g today I woke up & ate toast with jam & butter .I also had a few blueberries & red berries.Then I drank half a glass of coke.This was about 1pm.Then I showered ,got ready & was at work from 3pm until 21:35 pm.On my break at 5 I had a galaxy chocolate & a drink.I got home at 22:45 and everyone was sleeping.There was no cooked food because my parents work 12 hour shifts 8am-8/9pm my brother is really young.
    It's 2am and I haven't eaten or drank anything since my break at work.

Now that I think about it ,it makes me physically sick knowing how little I've consumed.I don't feel hungry at all,just weak & body feels light .I don't have appetite.I don't know how I can get my appetite back

P.S this has been going on for years.Back in sixth form I remember I would skip breakfast & not eat anything until after school.

#Help

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NellyMelly)
    This is something I've noticed for quite some time.Ive realised that I don't eat enough .I can see I've lost a lot of weight when I look at myself in the mirror.The thing is its difficult for me to eat more.I just don't get hungry.

E.g today I woke up & ate toast with jam & butter .I also had a few blueberries & red berries.Then I drank half a glass of coke.This was about 1pm.Then I showered ,got ready & was at work from 3pm until 21:35 pm.On my break at 5 I had a galaxy chocolate & a drink.I got home at 22:45 and everyone was sleeping.There was no cooked food because my parents work 12 hour shifts 8am-8/9pm my brother is really young.

Now that I think about it ,it makes me physically sick knowing how little I've consumed.I don't feel hungry at all,just weak & body feels light .I don't have appetite.I don't know how I can get my appetite back

P.S this has been going on for years.Back in sixth form I remember I would skip breakfast & not eat anything until after school.

#Help

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I had a very similar problem a few years ago with food. I could go on for hours without eating anything. Friends and family would then obviously comment and tease me about my weight which at most times i laughed it off.

Then i decide to make a goal of hitting 70kg in a year. I started off with a skinny frame of around 57kg. I bought myself a weight gainer protein shake and drank that every morning and evening and i was basically stuffing myself for many months. The first week was so uncomfortable due to constantly feeling like i was going to throw up. Literally my stomach stretched and my appetite grew. At the same time i hit the gym and i've gained pounds of muscle and foods like porridge oat bread, plenty of eggs, cottage cheese, chicken breasts and sweet potatoes is what really made me grow over the last 2 years. I suggest you set yourself a calorie goal. I cant give you one but there are websites out there that can help you determine your caloric intake.

I highly suggest eating something every 1.5-2 hours everyday.

ReputationRep:
    You should probably cook something for yourself or get your parents to cook you a dinner when they eat which you can reheat via microwave when you get home but otherwise...
    Best bet for you is to work out your
    BMI (can be done online just google "calculate my bmi") and then work towards eating that amount although by setting your self food breaks where you eat something small like a bar of chocolate at 4pm then at 6/8pm if your working eat something small again like fruit etc.. your eating habits are also not necessarily unhealthy (but i cant say anything because im not a professional) but for me personally I can eat between 1,200 calories which is my bare minimum (& the recommended intake for 4-6/8 year olds) but my bmi aims me for 1,400 ish due to my height so its not that bad for me aslong as i stick above 1,200 any less and it will effect my periods

I am not a professional in this field and barely have any knowledge in food my self but thats my advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are you healthy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandoraFoxx)
    You should probably cook something for yourself or get your parents to cook you a dinner when they eat which you can reheat via microwave when you get home but otherwise...
    Best bet for you is to work out your
    BMI (can be done online just google "calculate my bmi" and then work towards eating that amount although by setting your self food breaks where you eat something small like a bar of chocolate at 4pm then at 6/8pm if your working eat something small again like fruit etc.. your eating habits are also not necessarily unhealthy (but i cant say anything because im not a professional) but for me personally I can eat between 1,200 calories which is my bare minimum (& the recommended intake for 4-6/8 year olds) but my bmi aims me for 1,400 ish due to my height so its not that bad for me aslong as i stick above 1,200 any less and it will effect my periods

I am not a professional in this field and barely have any knowledge in food my self but thats my advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Think you mean BMR which is calories you would burn just existing (and you should be eating above that as you burn extra from all daily activities and exercise)

BMI is a weight to height ratio

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Think you mean BMR which is calories you would burn just existing (and you should be eating above that as you burn extra from all daily activities and exercise)

True but the BMI does help to determine your caloric intake. i'm 6ft2 its a lot harder for me compared to someone who is 5'8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)

I know what they are and I really meant bmi, i worked out what my intake should be by using my bmi as a guide

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

#Help

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Though I'm certainly no expert, eating that little could result in you developing nutritional deficiencies.
    My Mum went through a tough time a several years back (her dad died, and she hated her job at the time - looking back on it, it could have been a mild bout of depression I suppose) and as a result would rarely eat anything (like not eating for a couple of days at a time).
    She ended up with an iron deficiency before long which can make you feel weak and tired (she eventually fainted so we called an ambulance and she was taken to hospital where she had both iron and blood transfusions).
    Also, since she ate so little, apparently her stomach acid partially broke down the microvilli in her stomach meaning she can't absorb nutrients as well from her food anymore.

So, all I can say get yourself to eat somehow.
    Perhaps your body has simply become used to you being hungry and you don't feel it so much anymore (I went through a time like this during sixth form too, but you have to remind yourself that it's important to eat something even if you don't want to for the sake of staying healthy).
    Try to eat a little more, and a bit more often, even if you aren't all that hungry (just a little bit at a time is fine).
    Perhaps wake up a little earlier and go for a walk in the morning to make yourself more hungry so you feel like having a bigger breakfast?

Also, there being no cooked food for you to eat is no excuse!
    You could have easily made something simple like say pasta in the time between 22:45 and 2:00am.
    Also, maybe another thing to try if sleeping a little earlier and waking earlier in the morning.
    It could give you the time to prepare some sort of cooked meal and freeze it so you eat it later (A friend from sixth form who lived on his own used to do this).
    And you could possibly make yourself a packed lunch (like a sandwich say) to eat during your break at work. (Another friend at my sixth form used to wake up at 5:30am every morning and literally bake himself some bread to make sandwiches from xD - not that you have to go such extremes though lol).

Anyways, I don't know your full circumstances, but I hope this helps you somehow. Good luck

ps. srry for all the brackets, it's a bad habit of mine to use them too often xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandoraFoxx)
    I know what they are and I really meant bmi, i worked out what my intake should be by using my bmi as a guide

Posted from TSR Mobile
    "Best bet for you is to work out your BMI (can be done online just google "calculate my bmi" and then work towards eating that amount"

Doesn't sound like you did as following this advice would have you eating about 20 calories a day. It was badly worded, but whatever

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your responses everyone.The one about damage to microvilli scared the heck out of me.From today I'll start a food diary ,basically aim for at least 2000 calories a day.

For those who asked ,uhhmmm idk if I'm healthy or not,When I eat I try go eat a range of food.Im 5'4 and 59 kg ,UK size 8 & 10.So I don't look *small*.
    The first place I lose weight is my upper body & I can definitely tell I have lost weight there.A ribcage shouldn't be visible 0_o

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Slowly integrate more food into your diet, and try and eat more on weekends. It hopeful,y should build up your appetite.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aiming for 2,000kcal a day definitely sounds like a good starting point. It does sound like your eating patterns are very erratic, and nutritionally not ideal too, and I'm guessing you'll probably be surprised by the difference in your energy levels (and possibly mood and numerous other things) when you get into a healthy, regular eating routine (at least when I was eating very little [although due to an ED] I didn't realise just how awful I'd felt physically until I didn't feel like that anymore]).

Try to aim for eating regularly as a starting point. Some people prefer 3 main meals and snacks, others prefer smaller but more regular meals, but try to aim ideally for eating at least every 4 hours. If you can make your breakfast something which gives you energy, that would be great, but otherwise, stick to what you usually have for breakfast. If you're at work over lunchtime, try to plan it in advance so that you either prepare something the day before or have a break for lunch where you can go out and buy something. If there's no cooked food in at dinner-time, the obvious answer is to cook something yourself! But if you're too tired or not in the mood for that on the day, try to bulk cook (or ask your parents to save you some portions when they cook) and freeze them, so that you can just defrost and reheat on the day. If not, even a sandwich/wrap and salad is better than going all day with nothing. Portioned snacks are easy to get so that you can keep them in your bag or something and have them to hand throughout the day - nuts are always good, Nakd bars, dried fruit, etc etc etc. And chocolate, of course, nothing wrong with chocolate!

I'd also recommend writing down your planned intake in advance, so that you don't have to think about it at the time - it's prepared and ready so you know what you're doing, and there's no excuses for it!

ReputationRep:

#Help

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Start working out and you're appetite will grow.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Exercise it's awsome you can get away with 5 thousand calories (3.5k as a woman) if you do something intensive in cold conditions a day
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Damage in your microvilli in your stomach wouldn't result in lack of vitamin and mineral absorption, the whole science of the GI tract stops that.

You're going to have to force yourself to eat regularly. Learn to cook, or become a lover of peanut butter and jam on toast would be my basic way of looking at it.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.