The Student Room Group

Resitting an A level externally?

I got a U at AS level Physics, and thus my school won't allow me to take it at A2. I really need it for Engineering, which is what I want to do at University.

Is there a way to apply to take both AS level, and A2 level Physics at an appropriate time at the end of the year, sitting the exams externally? I would be on Edexcel.

I know there are huge changes taking place to the way A levels are done, and the syllabus is changing for many subjects. If I were to externally sit said exams, would I do them under the new system, or the old one? You get the same A level at the end, correct? There are primarily changes to the way AS levels work, in that now your grade only comes from A2?

I just want to sit Physics externally, and at the end of the year, come results day, have a Physics A level. I don't care of the costs, I just want to know that it's possible.

Thanks.
Reply 1
You failed AS, and now you want to do AS and A2 in one year? Are you having a laugh?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by willotherwisedie
I got a U at AS level Physics, and thus my school won't allow me to take it at A2. I really need it for Engineering, which is what I want to do at University.

Is there a way to apply to take both AS level, and A2 level Physics at an appropriate time at the end of the year, sitting the exams externally? I would be on Edexcel.

I know there are huge changes taking place to the way A levels are done, and the syllabus is changing for many subjects. If I were to externally sit said exams, would I do them under the new system, or the old one? You get the same A level at the end, correct? There are primarily changes to the way AS levels work, in that now your grade only comes from A2?

I just want to sit Physics externally, and at the end of the year, come results day, have a Physics A level. I don't care of the costs, I just want to know that it's possible.

Thanks.

I'm in a similar position. If you're planning to do it in a year, it means you'll do it under the old system but you'll have to find a centre to sit your exams and practicals. It's definitely possible but it's not easy. I'm thinking of doing Chem, Phys and maths in a year after getting Us in Chem and Physics for missing my exams due to extenuating circumstances but I'm realising this could be almost impossible as it's so much to do. If it's only Physics you're thinking about doing, that's fine.
Original post by Cherry82
I'm in a similar position. If you're planning to do it in a year, it means you'll do it under the old system but you'll have to find a centre to sit your exams and practicals. It's definitely possible but it's not easy. I'm thinking of doing Chem, Phys and maths in a year after getting Us in Chem and Physics for missing my exams due to extenuating circumstances but I'm realising this could be almost impossible as it's so much to do. If it's only Physics you're thinking about doing, that's fine.

Yeah, it's only Physics. I actually just emailed an examination centre about sitting my Physics AS and A2 externally with them. I asked if I'd be doing it under the old or new system. If it's the old one, then that's good. I believe they take coursework too. Hopefully, I'll get a reply later and if they choose to accept me, I'll be dropping my Business A level and taking 2 in school, and one out of school.

It won't be easy, but I'm prepared to put the work in.
Original post by ubisoft
You failed AS, and now you want to do AS and A2 in one year? Are you having a laugh?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't fail my AS because I'm terrible at Physics. I failed it because I was lazy and didn't put the work in. I'm willing to put the work in at this point, which is why I want to sit the exam externally. Physics isn't a large course either way. AS level is small, but complex.

It's my decision to sit it all in a year, and the end grade is my grade to live with, not yours, so there's really no need to ridicule me.
I didn't fail my AS because I'm terrible at Physics. I failed it because I was lazy and didn't put the work in. I'm willing to put the work in at this point, which is why I want to sit the exam externally. Physics isn't a large course either way. AS level is small, but complex.

It's my decision to sit it all in a year, and the end grade is my grade to live with, not yours, so there's really no need to ridicule me.

I agree with the above. A2 is so much more difficult than AS so it'll be very difficult to suddenly start getting As especially if doing exams externally AND all in one year whilst doing other A levels?

Psychics is known to be a very difficult subject, I wouldn't risk it. I resat some exams privately (just A2) and that was hard enough. Would be best for you to just retake the year if you're so set on physics.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah, it's only Physics. I actually just emailed an examination centre about sitting my Physics AS and A2 externally with them. I asked if I'd be doing it under the old or new system. If it's the old one, then that's good. I believe they take coursework too. Hopefully, I'll get a reply later and if they choose to accept me, I'll be dropping my Business A level and taking 2 in school, and one out of school.

It won't be easy, but I'm prepared to put the work in.

Cool. Wow your school let you continue we two a levels? You're so lucky. I requested for that in my previous school but they said no so I left.
Original post by cherryred90s
I agree with the above. A2 is so much more difficult than AS so it'll be very difficult to suddenly start getting As especially if doing exams externally AND all in one year whilst doing other A levels?

Psychics is known to be a very difficult subject, I wouldn't risk it. I resat some exams privately (just A2) and that was hard enough. Would be best for you to just retake the year if you're so set on physics.

I've always wondered, is A2 that bad? Is it impossible to do well in a year from scratch with as levels or is it possible but just requires a lot of hard work? I just get scared sometimes because it's portrayed as almost impossible to do well in.
Original post by Cherry82
I've always wondered, is A2 that bad? Is it impossible to do well in a year from scratch with as levels or is it possible but just requires a lot of hard work? I just get scared sometimes because it's portrayed as almost impossible to do well in.

A2 is much more difficult than AS, that goes for all subjects. You have to do a considerable amount of revision to get a good grade for your A2s.

It may not be bad to do an entire A level in 1 year if that's your only subject but alongside other A2s? I don't see a successful outcome with that
A2 is much more difficult than AS, that goes for all subjects. You have to do a considerable amount of revision to get a good grade for your A2s.

It may not be bad to do an entire A level in 1 year if that's your only subject but alongside other A2s? I don't see a successful outcome with that

Tbh that's nonsense. I've seen plenty of people do science a levels in a year alongside their A2s. You have a year. Focus on achieving the grade you want by putting in the effort every day from day 1. Only lazy people would argue otherwise imo.
Original post by High Stakes
Tbh that's nonsense. I've seen plenty of people do science a levels in a year alongside their A2s. You have a year. Focus on achieving the grade you want by putting in the effort every day from day 1. Only lazy people would argue otherwise imo.

It's not realistic at all, especially if you got a U first time and it wasn't even A2.
It's not realistic at all, especially if you got a U first time and it wasn't even A2.

I'd argue that it depends on whether the U was a result of the subject being too challenging or there being a lack of discipline and study time.

For instance my friend got an E in Chemistry at AS and wasn't allowed to continue it so they did the exams at a private centre and walked out with an A*.

You can try to impose your 'realistic' views on others, but frankly they're just a reflection of yourself. Perhaps you find A levels very hard but in the eyes of many, they're not.
Original post by High Stakes
I'd argue that it depends on whether the U was a result of the subject being too challenging or there being a lack of discipline and study time.

For instance my friend got an E in Chemistry at AS and wasn't allowed to continue it so they did the exams at a private centre and walked out with an A*.

You can try to impose your 'realistic' views on others, but frankly they're just a reflection of yourself. Perhaps you find A levels very hard but in the eyes of many, they're not.

I didn't say it's impossible, I said it would be very difficult and is also pretty unrealistic in the OPs position, I don't know about your friends situation...

I'm sure everyone found A levels somewhat difficult, what's your point? I still passed.

Quick Reply

Latest