Turn on thread page Beta

Opinions- A level English Literature, Business studies and Media Studies :) watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    So I received an email back from a school who offered me a place to repeat year 12 with these courses. Originally I had planned to become a private candidate to finish my A levels next year but as I had got a reply finally, I'm thinking otherwise. Please be honest with me even if it may sound blunt, what do you think about this combination of A levels along?

As a repeat student with this combination of A levels and not so spectacular GCSEs 1A 4Bs 3Cs 1D what can I do at university? I've been really interested in courses like Law and Business management lately but I don't know if good universities would consider me. Most repeat students are doing traditional A levels. I'll also have to compete with the new students and new a levels where entry requirements will change. It's already September so I need to make a quick decision without wasting more time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherry82)
    Hey guys,
    So I received an email back from a school who offered me a place to repeat year 12 with these courses. Originally I had planned to become a private candidate to finish my A levels next year but as I had got a reply finally, I'm thinking otherwise. Please be honest with me even if it may sound blunt, what do you think about this combination of A levels along?

As a repeat student with this combination of A levels and not so spectacular GCSEs 1A 4Bs 3Cs 1D what can I do at university? I've been really interested in courses like Law and Business management lately but I don't know if good universities would consider me. Most repeat students are doing traditional A levels. I'll also have to compete with the new students and new a levels where entry requirements will change. It's already September so I need to make a quick decision without wasting more time
    sounds good combo, can you not do law?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emsta)
    sounds good combo, can you not do law?
    Lol everyone has asked me that same question I'd really love to but due to the block choices and clashes at my current school, it could be impossible. But I still would like to ask just in case it is possible. If it is possible, I'll transfer to law asap.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Those A Levels sounds fine together to me!
    Although to do a Law degree you don't necessarily need to do Law A Level (or so I've heard) it might be worth doing it at A Level if you can, more to see if you actually enjoy than anything.

Don't worry about having to 'compete with the new students.' Majority of universities don't really mind if you've repeated a year, unless it's like, Oxbridge or something. I'm currently at Liverpool University and I repeated Year 12 for various reasons (did Biology, Maths, combined English) and non of the universities I applied to seemed to be fussed about it.

So long as you've got something to put on your personal statement when it comes to applying to uni, I don't see why it would make such a big difference!

ReputationRep:
    Lol everyone has asked me that same question I'd really love to but due to the block choices and clashes at my current school, it could be impossible. But I still would like to ask just in case it is possible. If it is possible, I'll transfer to law asap.
    yeah have a look on these websites and see what subjects the unis wants- http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/ https://www.ucas.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KittKatt)
    Those A Levels sounds fine together to me!
    Although to do a Law degree you don't necessarily need to do Law A Level (or so I've heard) it might be worth doing it at A Level if you can, more to see if you actually enjoy than anything.

Don't worry about having to 'compete with the new students.' Majority of universities don't really mind if you've repeated a year, unless it's like, Oxbridge or something. I'm currently at Liverpool University and I repeated Year 12 for various reasons (did Biology, Maths, combined English) and non of the universities I applied to seemed to be fussed about it.

So long as you've got something to put on your personal statement when it comes to applying to uni, I don't see why it would make such a big difference!
    Thank you x
    I guess I was worried mainly because my new subjects are not traditional subjects any more like the sciences and maths so feared I may be at a disadvantage compared to those that do. I'll just hope it goes well- thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Thank you x
    I guess I was worried mainly because my new subjects are not traditional subjects any more like the sciences and maths so feared I may be at a disadvantage compared to those that do. I'll just hope it goes well- thanks again
    I don't see why would matter to much. Not everyone enjoys maths and sciences.
    And besides, English Lit is considered a 'traditional subject' as far as I know
    Hope all goes well for you!

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.