The Student Room Group

21 never had a job, how to get one?

I want to keep this brief. Like the title says, I've never had a job and need one now more then ever. The problem is I have no clue how to apply as my CV has nothing on it apart from a few work experiences but no references. I've got passes in all my gcses and A's at A-levels. I just feel bad when I apply as I have no references of work and my CV looks empty so I just think what's the point, I'll be rejected.

Reasons for me avoiding work is due to me being a little socially anxious and that I've never really needed money. But I believe now that working would be good for me, but I've got no clue how to make my CV appear good and find work. A friend recommended lying on my CV, but I don't know if this would work.

I would be incredibly grateful for advice as I feel like I am stuck and can't escape this predicament.
You can have teachers writr references

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you at uni, OP. I didn't really have a job until 21 tbh, and only a "proper" job some 6 weeks ago

At any rate OP what are your strengths? I wonder how good your CV is as well?
(edited 8 years ago)
I dropped out of university so I don't really think I can use teachers or tutors as references. My strengths; well I'm not sure exactly. But if I'm being honest I would say I'm just fairly average in everything. I can communicate well when speaking, my maths is good enough for a job say working the tills. I'm punctual. The only experiences I've had are working in a law firm for work experience, but this was back in 2011. Then working in my family shop from January to July.

To be fair to myself, I think I could do a job effectively after picking up on what it entails. The problem is I don't know how to get to the stage where I can perform the said job.
Why don't you try volunteering or getting more experience? You may get a job from it.
Original post by EloiseStar
Why don't you try volunteering or getting more experience? You may get a job from it.

I didn't know it was possible. I wouldn't mind volunteering, but how long do you think I would have to do it for? Because there is something I wish to do in the future which will require money. Could I possibly use the people I volunteer for as a reference also?
I needed a job during my gap year to pay for some travelling before uni, so I went in to a large agency on the high street and asked what they had. I had no experience at that stage but got a few weeks work in a couple of factories doing easy, manual labour and saved money quickly. This was a few years ago now and I don't know how much things may have changed since then. Good luck!
Original post by Chrollo-Lucilfer
I didn't know it was possible. I wouldn't mind volunteering, but how long do you think I would have to do it for? Because there is something I wish to do in the future which will require money. Could I possibly use the people I volunteer for as a reference also?

Depends how good you are and if there's any jobs. My brother did work experience and was offered a job after a few days. Yes you can use them as a reference.
Original post by EloiseStar
Depends how good you are and if there's any jobs. My brother did work experience and was offered a job after a few days. Yes you can use them as a reference.

Any idea how long I should do it before I start using them as a reference? Or even ask them if I can. Where's do you apply for jobs? I know there are sites like gum tree, but any other ways?
Any idea how long I should do it before I start using them as a reference? Or even ask them if I can. Where's do you apply for jobs? I know there are sites like gum tree, but any other ways?

I'd say two months so they can evaluate you as a worker. They'd know how well you work much sooner but it's only polite you wait a while. Ask them before. I usually go to the company's website.
Reply 10
I want to keep this brief. Like the title says, I've never had a job and need one now more then ever. The problem is I have no clue how to apply as my CV has nothing on it apart from a few work experiences but no references. I've got passes in all my gcses and A's at A-levels. I just feel bad when I apply as I have no references of work and my CV looks empty so I just think what's the point, I'll be rejected.

Reasons for me avoiding work is due to me being a little socially anxious and that I've never really needed money. But I believe now that working would be good for me, but I've got no clue how to make my CV appear good and find work. A friend recommended lying on my CV, but I don't know if this would work.

I would be incredibly grateful for advice as I feel like I am stuck and can't escape this predicament.

Have you thought about doing a Higher Apprenticeship? Providing you have A-levels, and can get references from your college / sixth form, you get trained to degree level and paid at the same time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending