Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    they try to make improvements but tbh they should have stopped at windows 7

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Windows 10 is everything 8 should of been, such a massive improvement. And for once Microsoft have an internet browser which I actually like using.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I feel that at times it can be quite slow. Especially during start up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treypound)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're not forced to use it - there's a roll back option in Settings, so you can go back to your previous OS within a month of upgrading. And Windows 10 is great! It essentially takes the best of Windows 7 and 8 and adds a bit more. Of course Microsoft wouldn't stop at Windows 7, because they're primarily a software company; there would be less motivation for people to upgrade their PCs if the OS stayed the same, and they'd lose market share to other companies that do update their operating systems, like Google with Chromebooks and Apple with OS X.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doctorwhofan98)
    You're not forced to use it - there's a roll back option in Settings, so you can go back to your previous OS within a month of upgrading. And Windows 10 is great! It essentially takes the best of Windows 7 and 8 and adds a bit more. Of course Microsoft wouldn't stop at Windows 7, because they're primarily a software company; there would be less motivation for people to upgrade their PCs if the OS stayed the same, and they'd lose market share to other companies that do update their operating systems, like Google with Chromebooks and Apple with OS X.
    eventually everyone will have to move to 10 as OS aren't supported forever, granted its a massive improvement to 8.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ehh.. I personally find it a massive improvement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Binary Freak)
    Ehh.. I personally find it a massive improvement.
    Im yet to upgrade I will eventually, but GNS 3 is a ***** to configure properly (to work with emulated switches)... Once I pass this exam, Im probably going to spend some time upgrading, doing a clean wipe, installing all the programs, make sure that my hard drives are correctly "mapped" ie: SSD for programs/OS, HDD for data, but to MAKE sure that the D: drive is for docs only and dont accidentally go on the SSD

Pop all the software on, configure GNS 3 properly. Run Acronis on it. Have a safe copy to use if **** hits the fan. Boom. Done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Internet)
    Im yet to upgrade I will eventually, but GNS 3 is a ***** to configure properly (to work with emulated switches)... Once I pass this exam, Im probably going to spend some time upgrading, doing a clean wipe, installing all the programs, make sure that my hard drives are correctly "mapped" ie: SSD for programs/OS, HDD for data, but to MAKE sure that the D: drive is for docs only and dont accidentally go on the SSD

Pop all the software on, configure GNS 3 properly. Run Acronis on it. Have a safe copy to use if **** hits the fan. Boom. Done.
    Ehh haven't tried GNS3 with Windows 10.. Haven't done any labbing in ages. I actually done a clean wipe on mine a while back. Always best doing a clean wipe for an OS IMO.Everything should be fine but always have something to go back on if you get hit!

Getting a new laptop for uni in a few weeks. Probably end up getting Linux on it and won't use Windows much after that.. Unless I get sick of Linux like I have done in the past.

Good luck btw!! Reminds me I got my license this week so now I can finally settle myself with exams..... Hopefully provisional and bank card should be fine for the ID

If not........... R.I.P Binary Freak - 1995-2015

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Binary Freak)
    Ehh haven't tried GNS3 with Windows 10.. Haven't done any labbing in ages. I actually done a clean wipe on mine a while back. Always best doing a clean wipe for an OS IMO.Everything should be fine but always have something to go back on if you get hit!

Getting a new laptop for uni in a few weeks. Probably end up getting Linux on it and won't use Windows much after that.. Unless I get sick of Linux like I have done in the past.

Good luck btw!! Reminds me I got my license this week so now I can finally settle myself with exams..... Hopefully provisional and bank card should be fine for the ID

If not........... R.I.P Binary Freak - 1995-2015
    Tbh Binary Freak, I reckon half the frustration from the Win 10 upgrade will be taht people didnt do a clean wipe.

Hopefully so! And thanks!! I'll probs go for other "labs" in 9 months or so cos... I want some "me time" to go to the gym and be a bit...healthier, as well as actually cook proper food...

Maybe a lil OT.. I/'ll upgrade...eventually..within this year...

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Stopped.. forever?

The whole point of Windows 10 is that it'll be the last major refresh you ever need to do. After this they will just continually patch and update 10 in the same way that your phone operating system updates without you having to do a full reinstall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Internet)
    Tbh Binary Freak, I reckon half the frustration from the Win 10 upgrade will be taht people didnt do a clean wipe.

Hopefully so! And thanks!! I'll probs go for other "labs" in 9 months or so cos... I want some "me time" to go to the gym and be a bit...healthier, as well as actually cook proper food...

Maybe a lil OT.. I/'ll upgrade...eventually..within this year...
    Yeah. That and most of the features new to it are ones that everyday users wouldn't really use so most people just go on a tangent saying it's not different.

Ehh that's what's been going on this summer.. I need me time before going or doing anything again. How's the move been?

ReputationRep:
    I agree that 7 is better than 10, and haven't "upgraded" my old laptop for that reason, however my new one will have 8 and that is getting upgraded as soon as i get it.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't go near Windows 10 because apparently there's a lot of privacy issues
    http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/

ReputationRep:
    When I updated to windows 10 my laptop decided to not recognise the screen, and I had to plug it into the tv to see anything. I'm no way near knowledgable enough to understand why or how to fix it, so I just rolled it back to windows 7. It's an old machine and I am planning to buy a MacBook in the next year so 7 is fine for me for now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What do you mean try?

What improvements?
    There's only the GUI that some people don't like more as that is an opinion on whether it's better.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.