Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think a Corbyn Britain would be like? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Whether you're labour or Conservative, Green or Lib Dem, whether you're left wing or right. Share your vision of why or why not a Corbyn Britain wouldn't work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Better for students than it is now.

ReputationRep:
    Very little difference to what it has been for the past decade

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be very similar to if the Sparrows from Game of Thrones were in charge.

ReputationRep:
    Slightly better for anyone who isnt massively rich.

ReputationRep:
    Within ten years Scotland would be independent, Northern Ireland forcefully reunited with the Republic and Wales would be doing it's utmost to pave the way for its own independence.

A non-nuclear rump England with nationalist movements in Cornwall and Yorkshire would be laughed off of the world stage, with Germany or even India or Brazil taking our 'permanent' Security Council Seat at the UN. Incursions into our airspace by American and Russian planes would be constant as PM Corbyn would take us down a path of neutrality and our island would be used as a stage for each country to show off its newest war-planes. The UN, pressured by Latin America would encourage the 'return' of the Falkland Islands to Argentina. Known terrorist leaders would visit the mosques of London, parading about at the tax payers expense like a visit from the pope, heading a joint session of the Houses of Parliament to lecture us on the evils of our nation while securing billions in foreign aid to train jihadi soldiers.

Mass unskilled immigration into the country would ensue with communities being punished if they refused to settle and house non-English speaking 'refugees'. The so called National Education Service would go from crisis to crisis as bureaucrats try to decide which lessons the country can no longer afford to teach, losing subjects like Chemistry and Physics while maintaining Religious Education, Women's studies and Arabic lessons. School class sizes of 40 students would be the norm. Every student in England would have a free university place secured for them as thousands of elite foreign students from China and India shun our once brilliant universities. Graduates from British Universities would find themselves unemployable overseas.

The economy would falter as the UK crumbled, with unemployment reaching 22%. Millionaires would flee as they are forced to pay preposterously high taxes and take their investment with them. The offices of London skyscrapers would be refit into plush new apartments for immigrants as the native population live in crumbling housing estates. The royal family would be scrapped and tourism would shrink. British traditions and culture would be restricted as not to offend new citizens. London would be unrecognisable as the nominally independent city-state would frequently erupt into ethnic riots and have to be closed off from the rest of the Republic of South Britain. Amnesty international would decry the blockade of Tower Hamlets. ISIS agents would destroy Stonehenge, and countless cathedrals across the country, transforming St Paul's Cathedral into a mosque much like in Istanbul.

The polluting railways would be decommissioned, fracking forgotten and petrol supplies rationed. Women only, Muslim only and Transgender only coaches would be run by the National Transport Service, protecting the vulnerable groups from harassment by white men.

I could very easily go on, but in short, the UK would become a fractured collection of ethnically diverse regions devoid of unified culture, mass unemployment and no military would make us the laughing stock of the world and we would have to rely on economic aid from Poland to ensure the safety of their citizens living here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mertblog)
    Whether you're labour or Conservative, Green or Lib Dem, whether you're left wing or right. Share your vision of why or why not a Corbyn Britain wouldn't work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It'd be an absolute embarrassment.

ReputationRep:
    No union.
    No overseas territories.
    No NATO membership.
    No place on the UNSC.
    More Muslims and third world immigrants.
    More religious and gender segregation.
    No more monarchy.
    Less high skilled jobs as firms cut back their global headquarters here, so we only see the employment thru need for a presence in the British market.
    ISIS and Hamsas representatives and preachers able to frequent the UK with their friendly messages of peace.

I'm not an emotional guy but I imagine I'd be close to tears over the state of our country by the time he left.

ReputationRep:
    Corbyn is not the Messiah, despite the shared initials, but the hysterical whining about the state of the Union under his premiership is thoroughly amusing considering our current PM and cabinet veer from disaster to disaster and alienates the constituent nations at every point. It still genuinely amazes me that the man had a career in PR.

Another Corbyn fear is that we'll be diminished on the world stage. Again, our current leadership (as revealed by the Hillary memos) is something of a mockery Stateside and our position as Europe's pre-eminent nation has been diminished so thoroughly under the weak-chinned nature of Cameron and Clegg's administration that Germany are now the go-to-guys for the US. In Europe, we are likewise seen as a bit of a joke as Cameron repeatedly blusters only to back down and, as mentioned in the first paragraph, seems incapable of opening his mouth without upsetting someone.

I'm not suggesting we'd enjoy a meteoric rise to surpass China as a superpower under Corbyn, but if he was elected it'd be a sign that perhaps the British people think there's more important things to worry about. Self-aggrandizing post-imperialist posturing on the world stage is bad enough; but when you're really, really bad at it like Cameron then it's just embarrassing.

ReputationRep:
    A total and utter mess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    No union.
    No overseas territories.
    No NATO membership.
    No place on the UNSC.
    More Muslims and third world immigrants.
    More religious and gender segregation.
    No more monarchy.
    Less high skilled jobs as firms cut back their global headquarters here, so we only see the employment thru need for a presence in the British market.
    ISIS and Hamsas representatives and preachers able to frequent the UK with their friendly messages of peace.

I'm not an emotional guy but I imagine I'd be close to tears over the state of our country by the time he left.
    Come on rakas you know thats a load of rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    Come on rakas you know thats a load of rubbish.
    A little hyperbole but he's indicated he is sympathetic to every one of those policies.

He was also talking about voluntary taxation for the military recently, a horrid idea.

ReputationRep:
    A little hyperbole but he's indicated he is sympathetic to every one of those policies.

He was also talking about voluntary taxation for the military recently, a horrid idea.
    You mean a lot.

Of your points:
    He's pro-union (excluding NI)
    He's not against every overseas territory
    That one is true (but wouldnt get past the party)
    When did he say that one?
    He'd take more refugees yes
    Not happening anytime soon
    Potentially not sure on that one
    Doubt he'll deal properly with IS and it wouldnt get past Labour.

That ones a bit silly i agree.

ReputationRep:
    Why are people saying he would destabilise the union when the Tories oversaw a referendum that very nearly saw the end of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you remember when they wanted to bring in the National Minimum Wage and everyone went mental, saying that it would destroy enterprise and wreck the economy....

Just putting it out there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    Why are people saying he would destabilise the union when the Tories oversaw a referendum that very nearly saw the end of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The SNP were already in government before the Tories came to power. Those who think the referendum was the Tories fault should probably remember that cuts had barely started in May 11.

At any rate, the fact that the potential PM of the UK wants rid of at least one part of it is offensive to our nation and should be reason enough alone not to elect him labour leader.

ReputationRep:
    The SNP were already in government before the Tories came to power. Those who think the referendum was the Tories fault should probably remember that cuts had barely started in May 11.

At any rate, the fact that the potential PM of the UK wants rid of at least one part of it is offensive to our nation and should be reason enough alone not to elect him labour leader.
    The desire for a referendum was borne out of frustration at Tory governments which concentrate their focus on SE England. David Cameron did nothing to secure a No vote and his presence was more of a hindrance than anything else. If NI want to rejoin the ROI then that's up to them, the place is a basket case in need of stability.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    The desire for a referendum was borne out of frustration at Tory governments which concentrate their focus on SE England. David Cameron did nothing to secure a No vote and his presence was more of a hindrance than anything else. If NI want to rejoin the ROI then that's up to them, the place is a basket case in need of stability.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If that were true then the SNP would not have already gained power in 07, long after the Tories had left power. I agree that independence is driven by a Scotland-London dynamic (we feel it even in Yorkshire) but blaming the Tories for that is being blindly partisan. Labour ignored Scotland as much as the Thatcher-Major governments.

I don't really agree. Polling actually suggested Cameron was viewed more positively than Miliband and Clegg and in the end the result came down to income it seems. The poor and the far left voted to destroy the union, the middle classes (even Tory hating up there) voted to remain.

NI does not want unity with Ireland, its some members of the English left that want them gone. Just like the Falklands and Gibraltar have voted overwhelmingly to be British.. Yet Corbyn and the extreme left want them gone.

ReputationRep:
    A failed state, which is why he will never be PM.

ReputationRep:
    If that were true then the SNP would not have already gained power in 07, long after the Tories had left power. I agree that independence is driven by a Scotland-London dynamic (we feel it even in Yorkshire) but blaming the Tories for that is being blindly partisan. Labour ignored Scotland as much as the Thatcher-Major governments.

I don't really agree. Polling actually suggested Cameron was viewed more positively than Miliband and Clegg and in the end the result came down to income it seems. The poor and the far left voted to destroy the union, the middle classes (even Tory hating up there) voted to remain.

NI does not want unity with Ireland, its some members of the English left that want them gone. Just like the Falklands and Gibraltar have voted overwhelmingly to be British.. Yet Corbyn and the extreme left want them gone.
    Yes it was an anti establishment movement but the jist of my argument is that Corbyn does not seek to remove Scotland from the UK and his line of politics has a lot more traction up here than that of say Liz Kendall. If the Northern Irish wish to stay that is of course up to them and despite his own preferences I believe Corbyn will respect that, just as Cameron would have had to respect a Scottish Yes vote. Plus if Corbyn got the Sinn Fein abstainees to actually turn up...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.