Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure whether I need to actually declare that I'm living with my boyfriend or not, and whether they'll take his income into consideration. I'm currently 20 years old (21 in January), I've applied for second year student finace, I've proved to Student Finance that I'm estranged from my family, so I'm entitled to the full amount, but now I'm living with my boyfriend.

I looked at some Student Finance forms, one says I'm considered to be "living with a partner if you are sharing a home with your partner but are not married or in a civil partnership. It does not matter whether you are of same sex or opposite sex." Another form (one I was told to fill out at the page whether you request to change your information) says that the partner of a supporting application should fill out the linked application if they are "the students cohabiting partner, if the student is over 25 and entered higher education in 2000/2001 or later".

Not really sure what to do, and whether I need to declare that I'm living with a partner. I'm also worried about how much it's going to affect the money I get; my partner earns £1300 a month, but technically only earns £1140 a month (he has a legal payment he has to make every month, so that's money we can't even use on bills ect.). I don't have a job, I've tried looking for one throughout this summer, and last summer, but I've had no luck at all, so I'll need to be able to save some of the money I'd be getting incase next summer is the same. I also can't work whilst studying, I find university extremely draining, and I know I couldn't take on studying and working at the same time, not even a part time job. We're also not living in the best conditions right now, we can't afford storage boxes or a wardrobe, so our belongings are scattered on the floor, and the only reason we're not still sleeping on the floor is because my partners mum let us borrow some money to buy a bed with.

I'm really desperate, and my anxiety levels are through the roof; we can't afford to lose any of the money I've been offered, especially since my travel is going to take a massive chunk out of it (at least £80 a month).
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi there.

We do not require your partner's income even if you currently live together because you are estranged and under 25.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you are over 25 and your partner flat out refuses to pay for you to go to uni, is there some form you can fill out to access the full funding? I will have to quit my job to go to uni (want to do PGCE) so will be earning nothing if I do it. My co-habiting partner and I split everything 50/50 and our money is not shared...
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi kitkat198,

You would still need to provide your partners income. We would use this to calculate what you are entitled to but, rest assured we would not directly ask your partner to pay anything towards your education.

Thanks

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.