The Student Room Group

St Andrews Medical School Applicants - 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TattyBoJangles
Technically, you just have to pass. Though do be aware that you graduate from St Andrews with a degree that's graded in the usual style (First, 2:1 etc).

I'm not sure exactly what happens if you fail, but I think there are quite good processes in place. As in, you do have to pass everything but there are opportunities to resit. If there are concerns about your academic performance I believe you get called in to speak with the pro deans but I'm not sure exactly.

Thanks ! do you know what year St A switched to the MMI interview format? I am assuming when you interviewed, it was still the old traditional format but I don't know when they started using MMI !
Original post by sunburner
Thanks ! do you know what year St A switched to the MMI interview format? I am assuming when you interviewed, it was still the old traditional format but I don't know when they started using MMI !

Ooh I'm not sure actually. I'm thinking last year was the first year? We were all quite surprised when they did, I remember that!
Original post by Okorange
First year grades don't count for your degree classification or for anything else, they only count if you wanted to apply separately to Cambridge.

Hey, can I have some clarification as to whether you referring to an application to the Cambridge graduate course after graduating, or to some kind of transfer for the 3 clinical years?

(Just asking as a curious applicant)
Original post by setarcoppiH
Hey, can I have some clarification as to whether you referring to an application to the Cambridge graduate course after graduating, or to some kind of transfer for the 3 clinical years?

(Just asking as a curious applicant)

As a transfer for the 3 clinical years.
Original post by Okorange
As a transfer for the 3 clinical years.

Thanks. :smile:
Do you know if this transfer scheme still exists? Cambridge is definitely not in the list of transfer unis on the website.
How competitive is it?
Original post by setarcoppiH
Thanks. :smile:
Do you know if this transfer scheme still exists? Cambridge is definitely not in the list of transfer unis on the website.
How competitive is it?

Yes, it definitely still exists. I don't believe transferring to Cambridge has ever been official, but it has always happened and is supported by the school. St Andrews does send out an email sometime in 2nd or 3rd year to inform students about the option. To be eligible you need a 1st in every semester in both first and second year and after that it is based on your extracurriculars, grades (i.e. being top of your year vs top 20%) and interview.

Cambridge generally takes 1 person a year although I have heard of years where they took 2.

Unofficial transfers have existed elsewhere, I know of a St Andrews student who transferred to King's in the past as well.
Hey guys. With the new mmi format and everything, does anyone know if academics will still be considered for their decision post interview?
Have all interview invites been sent now ?
Mousey - yes

Burner - no
Original post by Bogshed
Mousey - yes

Burner - no

Thanks but how do you know? (Asking because I cant find any source of info on it) . Do You know approximately when all invites should have been sent ?
Reply 110
When does St Andrews finish giving interviews/start rejecting people? I've not heard anything from the uni at all since I've applied so I'm getting kind of worried :s-smilie:
Thanks but how do you know? (Asking because I cant find any source of info on it) . Do You know approximately when all invites should have been sent ?

Historically SA have always given interviews out in dribs and drabs right up til March. If you haven't got one yet don't worry - it's just the way they seem to work.
I'm an English applicant and have my interview next week!! Bit nervous! Does anybody have any tips? Or anybody already had interviews at St A?
Original post by Bogshed
Mousey - yes

Burner - no

Hey yeah I thought so since thats the way theyve been doing in previous years. i looked on the website though and it said the outcome would be judged on the basis of global ukcat score and interview score (no mention of academics beyond ukcat). Im hoping academics are still considered.....
Reply 114
hey. i applied to st andrews for medicine, although I did get a crap ukcat score of 607.5 with a band 2 in situational judgement. how are my chances?
Original post by Hood15
hey. i applied to st andrews for medicine, although I did get a crap ukcat score of 607.5 with a band 2 in situational judgement. how are my chances?

Hey there. Well your SJ is good, and they use this in one of their stations, so if you do get an interview use this to your advantage. I'm not sure how much they look at UKCAT score tbh. Because it is below average, they may have to look at the rest of your application, but I'm really not sure. Don't want to be too harsh/ mislead you
Original post by muchensmile
When does St Andrews finish giving interviews/start rejecting people? I've not heard anything from the uni at all since I've applied so I'm getting kind of worried :s-smilie:

Don't get worried at all. Although I have my interview next week, St Andrews often give interviews right the way up to March, so I really wouldn't worry. No news is good news is how I see it.
ANyone heard of anyone getting a rejection yet ?
Reply 118
ANyone heard of anyone getting a rejection yet ?

Everyone I have asked about St A has said they have heard nothing haha! I think it's maybe people who have applied for the English route, or have no preference, that have heard back...Maybe, that's just a guess!
Original post by madmed16
Everyone I have asked about St A has said they have heard nothing haha! I think it's maybe people who have applied for the English route, or have no preference, that have heard back...Maybe, that's just a guess!

Wait, I dont remember at any point expressing a preference or lack thereof ?? Was this part of UCAS or something

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending