The Student Room Group

AS Maths. Is Cambridge a lot tougher than edexcel?

I was going to take edexcel maths in the summer but did not get time and am now planning to take it with Cambridge (CIE) in October.

I was comfortable with the syllabus in edexcel but now going through the CIE book for P1 there seems to be a few areas in this that do not come into edexcel until C3/C4.

Such as Vectors and the chain rule.

Wishing I had just put in the effort in the summer now!
Hey Im in the same position,Im wondering did you end up doing CIE and if you did how did you find it?
Original post by thisismyreality
Hey Im in the same position,Im wondering did you end up doing CIE and if you did how did you find it?

CIE is definitely more rigorous and challenging: as previously mentioned, there is more content per module of pure maths, since you only do 2 pure and 2 applied papers, whereas for Edexcel you do 4 pure and 2 applied. Also the questions are less formulaic/predictable, and try to test your true understanding with contexts and problems that may not be familliar to you. Thus if you think you have the ability, definitely go for CIE, as you'll find it much more interesting, but if you consider yourself a weaker student, consider going for Edexcel instead.

Quick Reply

Latest