Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I got my results this August and am now taking a gap year as I didn't know what I wanted to do. I've decided on biological sciences but need to now decide where to apply.
    I've put it off all summer and buried my head in the sand but now i'm running out of time...haven't yet written a personal statement!!
    I achieved 3A*s (biology, chemistry and maths) and don't know whether I should be considering Cambridge. I haven't got long at all to decide
    The thing that puts me off is the interview! I am a shy person and I know id be extremely nervous and not come across well...plus I don't have anything that would prove i'm super into the subject (I haven't volunteered at a lab every weekend for example like I read on someone's personal statement)

I don't want to waste my grades but don't know where to apply help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeccaLou33)
    Hi!
    I got my results this August and am now taking a gap year as I didn't know what I wanted to do. I've decided on biological sciences but need to now decide where to apply.
    I've put it off all summer and buried my head in the sand but now i'm running out of time...haven't yet written a personal statement!!
    I achieved 3A*s (biology, chemistry and maths) and don't know whether I should be considering Cambridge. I haven't got long at all to decide
    The thing that puts me off is the interview! I am a shy person and I know id be extremely nervous and not come across well...plus I don't have anything that would prove i'm super into the subject (I haven't volunteered at a lab every weekend for example like I read on someone's personal statement)

A lot might depend on your UMS as an A* can vary quite a bit. However you are guaranteed an interview and pooling with your grades.

Try asking the Peterhouse admissions team - they are running a thread in the Cambridge forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You'll get an interview and then take it from there.

You don't need to volunteer at a lab every weekend.

Just show an interest, any particular areas that interest you?

A book on biochem maybe

Or medicinal chemistry and drugs on the Internet, learning about them

Any olympiads you might have done?

ReputationRep:
    Those grades are fantastic congrats!
    Well since you're taking a gap year why don't you volunteer for things that relates to the course you're interested in?
    All the best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkybinoculars)
    Those grades are fantastic congrats!
    Well since you're taking a gap year why don't you volunteer for things that relates to the course you're interested in?
    All the best!
    Yes but she won't be able to put these on her PS.

Maybe have a tiny bit of what you plan to do related to the course. Online ones perhaps, nothing too strenuous
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by BeccaLou33)

The interviewers are experienced and very used to that. Don't let it put you off. They are looking for academically strong people - not the loudest and most self-confident. Many (most?) people who get offers think they had a poor interview.

Go for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.