Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In your eyes, is it more important to be very principled, or compromise/revise your ideals in order to achieve power and implement your policies/principles? Which is more important for a party?

ReputationRep:
    Power, always. Never lose sight of your principles, they're important of course, but parties exist to win elections and be viable Governments. That must come first. The country is more important than self-indulgent ideology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    Power, always. Never lose sight of your principles, they're important of course, but parties exist to win elections and be viable Governments. That must come first. The country is more important than self-indulgent ideology.
    I agree, dogmatism is a recipe for failure.

ReputationRep:
    Principles. Always.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    Principles. Always.
    Why? Even if doing so means you're unable to implement them, if you're not in power?

ReputationRep:
    Principles, but you should be prepared for compromise, as you will always find they clash.

ReputationRep:
    Both- which is why I hope corbyn wins.

ReputationRep:
    principle - if you can't get elected for being true to yourself, then you shouldn't be in politics. you should be true to your convictions, not to your lust for power.
    on that note, the prime minister shouldn't appoint ministers - parliament should - parliament should have a lot more power to stop power coming before principle
    and from that, the right of recall should be extremely effective so that politicians cannot discard the reasons they were voted for
    I've had enough of politicians who've never opposed their party - that's ridiculous and pathetic

ReputationRep:
    Principle.

ReputationRep:
    Power. No use having principles if you can't implement them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mixture of both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenC1997)
    In your eyes, is it more important to be very principled, or compromise/revise your ideals in order to achieve power and implement your policies/principles? Which is more important for a party?
    Power.

Being truly principled and convicted means walking directly forward through A to B, through the Grand Canyon and over the top of Mt Saint Helens. There's a small chance you'll make it to enact your pure agenda but you'll have mostly likely being bitten by a Rattlesnake and mauled by a bear.

Compramising means allowing your principles to tell you where you should be going but allowing yourself to follow the path through Napper Valley and the country estates, past Las Vegas where you stop off for some fun and then still arriving suited up and looking serious ready to get on. A diluted agenda will still give you small victories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Both- which is why I hope corbyn wins.
    I'm interested to know when Corbyn has proposed compramise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I'm interested to know when Corbyn has proposed compramise?
    Research it.
    I think you can have both principles and power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Research it.
    I think you can have both principles and power.
    I agree you can in rare cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I agree you can in rare cases.
    I just think with the other 3 candidates it's so predictable- they'll all slump to a defeat like milliband did.

With corbyn, he may get crushed but there's just a chance- albeit a small one that he court succeed- there's an unknown surrounding it and a bit of mystery and that's far more exciting then a predictable slump.

And besides if he looks like getting hammered - he won't stay to fight the general election.

I personally would think there were plans to hand over to someone younger and more charismatic further down the line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    Principles, not policies. Your principles might be to serve your people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenC1997)
    Principals change the narrative of the public if it is what they want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    principles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    principles
    Posting off a mobile, get a life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.