Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm living with two mates in Birmingham, and we're wondering about Council Tax. The thing is two of us are students (on placement, the council is convinced we should be charged council tax but I know for a fact that we shouldn't) and the other is currently on Job Seeker's Allowance.

At the moment money is very tight, as the two of us with a pay cheque are having to cover the other guy's rent until he can get a job, I'm just concerned about getting slapped with a council tax bill, I know how much they can sting. Does anyone know if we have to pay (2 of us are students and one is on JSA). Honestly, I need to know how to make the best of this situation, any unexpected bill would knock us on our asses.

I know we will at least get a 25% reduction in council tax because only one of us in the house might be eligible, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows any other way we can reduce the bill, because we have just enough to live off at the moment.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    The guy on jsa will have to pay it but it will be seriously reduced, shouldn't be much more than a few pound a week if hes on JSA, you obviously already knew that you two as students should be exempt.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    The guy on JSA should apply for (if he hasn't done) housing benefit and council tax support.

I would have thought you were still classed as students if on placement. You need to speak to the financial support / students unions for clarification.

ReputationRep:
    You will need to provide evidence of your student status to the Council and then only the non-student will be liable. The amount he will have to pay will vary.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, I assumed that with JSA would come all benefits to do with housing benefits, thanks, I'll get him to have a look at those.

In terms of myself and the other being exempt I know we are, I went through this last year and it's just a matter of getting a certificate from the Uni. It's just that my housemate made the mistake of calling the council first who then convinced him that we weren't exempt.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by ScrufffyJoe)
    Ahh, I assumed that with JSA would come all benefits to do with housing benefits, thanks, I'll get him to have a look at those.
    It's something he has to apply for.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.