Turn on thread page Beta

If I want to gain muscle do I eat at my TDEE, or above? watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok so Ive gained a few pounds of fat over the summer and fell of the fitness wagon but I want t resume my fitness plan.

I have work out my TDEE and right now it has come to 1800 cals if I work out 3x per week. My work outs last a long time, upto about two hours so I'm not sure if I should eat above my TDEE to gain some muscle.

Obviously Ill be gaining both fat and muscle which I don't want to do since I'm looking a little chunky these days but I guess theres no other way?

Thoughts? Im a girl btw
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Being a girl means that gaining muscle for you is harder and will be most easily achieved in a caloric surplus (more than your TDEE). You can just eat your TDEE, maintain your current weight and so called "recomp" however your gains will be slower as a result. When gaining weight as a woman, I'd recommend eating a 200 calorie surplus so you don't put weight on too fast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Being a girl means that gaining muscle for you is harder and will be most easily achieved in a caloric surplus (more than your TDEE). You can just eat your TDEE, maintain your current weight and so called "recomp" however your gains will be slower as a result. When gaining weight as a woman, I'd recommend eating a 200 calorie surplus so you don't put weight on too fast.
    Should the 200 cals concept of just carbs? Because Ive worked out my protein and fat macros and Im guessing the remainder should be carbs?

Also will I likely get even fatter?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by tootles44)
    Should the 200 cals concept of just carbs? Because Ive worked out my protein and fat macros and Im guessing the remainder should be carbs?

Also will I likely get even fatter?
    Work out how much protein you need (1-1.5g of protein per kg of bodyweight is fine), the rest should come from fat and carbs, how much of each is up to you.

If you feel you are already overweight, then eating a surplus is not for you and you should eat roughly 250-500 calorie deficit per day depending on how much you want to lose.

ReputationRep:
    Work out how much protein you need (1-1.5g of protein per kg of bodyweight is fine), the rest should come from fat and carbs, how much of each is up to you.

If you feel you are already overweight, then eating a surplus is not for you and you should eat roughly 250-500 calorie deficit per day depending on how much you want to lose.
    I'm not overweight by any means, I just feel a little skinny-fat and stomach/thighs have gotten thicker imo I reckon if I eat at a deficit I will be too skinny/bony

Also since its been about two months or so, should I resume my original workout plan where I was trying to gain strength? Or find a new one?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by tootles44)
    I'm not overweight by any means, I just feel a little skinny-fat and stomach/thighs have gotten thicker imo I reckon if I eat at a deficit I will be too skinny/bony

Also since its been about two months or so, should I resume my original workout plan where I was trying to gain strength? Or find a new one?
    Fair enough, then I would recommend you stay in a low surplus of around 2-400 calories. You'll gain weight, but it should be less than a lb a week. Hopefully half that.

Depends on what your training routine is?

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, then I would recommend you stay in a low surplus of around 2-400 calories. You'll gain weight, but it should be less than a lb a week. Hopefully half that.

Depends on what your training routine is?
    These are all 4x6, with leg raises 4x8-10 and planks 90 secs

RDLs
    Squat
    Dumbell bench press
    Chip ups
    Dumbell shoulder press
    T bar rows
    leg raises
    Planks

The reps change depending on how far Ive progressed but I find myself a little lost when m doing it. Not sure if I should create my own plan as this was made by a trainer, and I don't want to rely on someone when I want to progress, if you know what I mean

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.