The Student Room Group

which subjects???

What GCSE subjects am I required to take if i want to do medicine in university?
Please help ASAP.
Double science (triple science recommended), a humanity and language are recommended. Other than that, core subjects such as english and maths. The more A & A* you get at GCSE the better.
Reply 2
I would certainly recommend Triple Science. It may also be worthwhile seeing if you can do statistics or something like that at your school as it is more relevant. I would say you want to aim for the EBacc and above.
Okay thank you, also another question is, do i need to take English Literature, or is English Language enough??
Reply 4
english language is usually all they ask for, but in my school i have to do both. :frown: but do look around because some unis may be different. I'm also in the same position as you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Seeing as you will be competing with lots of people for all medicine courses it's better to go the full way instead of halfway (academically that is). Therefore if poss, take English Lang AND Lit (n.b. You will be competing with many private school students and it's compulsory for them to do both Lit and Lang as Lang is seen as softer). Definitely 100% do triple science- for obvious reasons. And don't do any fad subjects like sociology or citizenship if that's possible at your school- do the more traditional subjects like History and Geography. Uni's also love it if you do any MFL (it's sometimes listed in their GCSE requirements) I'm sure they're not picky about which one. Also don't do any foundation GCSE's as the max you can get is a C and you realistically want all A's and A*'s.

Good luck!!
(My sis does medicine at Cambridge!!)
Original post by McBambi
Seeing as you will be competing with lots of people for all medicine courses it's better to go the full way instead of halfway (academically that is). Therefore if poss, take English Lang AND Lit (n.b. You will be competing with many private school students and it's compulsory for them to do both Lit and Lang as Lang is seen as softer). Definitely 100% do triple science- for obvious reasons. And don't do any fad subjects like sociology or citizenship if that's possible at your school- do the more traditional subjects like History and Geography. Uni's also love it if you do any MFL (it's sometimes listed in their GCSE requirements) I'm sure they're not picky about which one. Also don't do any foundation GCSE's as the max you can get is a C and you realistically want all A's and A*'s.

Good luck!!
(My sis does medicine at Cambridge!!)

Woahh, I really want to get into Cambridge. If possible can you tell me what all GCSE's she took and her grades ^-^ oh btw you mentioned universities like it if you take 'mfl' but what is mfl? Also I just moved to the UK and im joining 10th but I have never learned history, geography, and eng literature. Do you think its possible to catch up with the syllabus in time? Thanks :smile:
Original post by randomperson11
Woahh, I really want to get into Cambridge. If possible can you tell me what all GCSE's she took and her grades ^-^ oh btw you mentioned universities like it if you take 'mfl' but what is mfl? Also I just moved to the UK and im joining 10th but I have never learned history, geography, and eng literature. Do you think its possible to catch up with the syllabus in time? Thanks :smile:

MFL is modern foreign languages, eg. French, Spanish, German. Sure, as long as you've got good English, you will be definitely able to catch up, don't worry! : )
Reply 8
Hey so I'm now a year 11 student and I've recently sat four gcses last year. I got
Biology: A
Psychology: A* (i had to pick this)
Geography: A
Statistics: A

Apparently you need all a*s t o get into cambridge? If i get as or a* next year (hopefully), do you think I have a chance of getting into cambridge or oxford medicine?

(sorry i know its stupid :P )
Original post by randomperson11

There is lots of GCSE data from Cambridge here.

Original post by #_#
Hey so I'm now a year 11 student and I've recently sat four gcses last year. I got
Biology: A
Psychology: A* (i had to pick this)
Geography: A
Statistics: A

Apparently you need all a*s t o get into cambridge? If i get as or a* next year (hopefully), do you think I have a chance of getting into cambridge or oxford medicine?

(sorry i know its stupid :P )

See Cambridge and Oxford's GCSE data. You want lots of A*s.

Never take GCSEs or A-levels early. So many outstanding pupils come out with worse results than they would have otherwise got and you gain absolutely nothing.

Quick Reply

Latest