Turn on thread page Beta

Would I get a loan, for the third time, or is it too late? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

They say it's never too late, but it might be in my case, due to some bad choices I made when I was younger, uh-oh.

I'm trying to get a bit of info as to whether I would get a full loan + maintenance from student finance, but I can't seem to get any info anywhere, I was wondering if I have blown my chances at further education.

I am interested in returning to university to train to be a primary school teacher, I would be looking at starting in September 2016, I am really unsure as to whether I would qualify for another student loan but I need to know as if I am going to apply to universities I will need to gain more experience in teaching to support my application, not knowing beforehand could waste a lot of time and I am struggling to find answers anywhere...my situation is this:
    • I'm 32
    • I studied for 1 year on a degree back in 2002, I finished the first year then decided not to carry on as the degree was pretty bad and I felt it was a waste of time and money.
    • I went back to university in 2006 and I didn't even complete the first year as I had a bit of breakdown, I remember having to pay back the SLC some money at the time.
    • I have been out of education since 2006 and have also been in and out of the UK, repaying my loan when I have been working in the UK. I've just returned from living in Canada for 13 months.
    At the moment I owe the student loans company something like £11,500 - I have been repaying my loan over the years when I have been earning enough money.

Would the student loans company loan me money to cover 3 years tuition and maintenance given that I have already been (and technically failed) university twice before? Is there any way of getting an answer? I asked on the student finance forum but to no avail, I was wondering if anyone is in a similar situation.

Thanks!

(Original post by spoonmerchant)
    Hi,

They say it's never too late, but it might be in my case, due to some bad choices I made when I was younger, uh-oh.

I'm trying to get a bit of info as to whether I would get a full loan + maintenance from student finance, but I can't seem to get any info anywhere, I was wondering if I have blown my chances at further education.

I am interested in returning to university to train to be a primary school teacher, I would be looking at starting in September 2016, I am really unsure as to whether I would qualify for another student loan but I need to know as if I am going to apply to universities I will need to gain more experience in teaching to support my application, not knowing beforehand could waste a lot of time and I am struggling to find answers anywhere...my situation is this:
    • I'm 32
    • I studied for 1 year on a degree back in 2002, I finished the first year then decided not to carry on as the degree was pretty bad and I felt it was a waste of time and money.
    • I went back to university in 2006 and I didn't even complete the first year as I had a bit of breakdown, I remember having to pay back the SLC some money at the time.
    • I have been out of education since 2006 and have also been in and out of the UK, repaying my loan when I have been working in the UK. I've just returned from living in Canada for 13 months.
    At the moment I owe the student loans company something like £11,500 - I have been repaying my loan over the years when I have been earning enough money.

Would the student loans company loan me money to cover 3 years tuition and maintenance given that I have already been (and technically failed) university twice before? Is there any way of getting an answer? I asked on the student finance forum but to no avail, I was wondering if anyone is in a similar situation.

Thanks!
    I suggest emailing them directly as, strictly speaking, you're only supposed to get funding for your first degree (with the exception of graduate entry medicine). You're also a somewhat unique case so the general advice on their website is probably not applicable to you.

ReputationRep:
    Normally students are entitled to one course plus a 'gift year', basically you can fail/drop out of one year and still get funded... as you have dropped out twice you would qualify for funding for 2 years of your course but that is all. However, I'm not sure whether the same applies to mature students.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

• I'm 32

Thanks!
    You will need to fund year 1 of your course yourself, but you will have years 2 and 3 covered, assuming you aren't behind on repayments because then it gets a bit complicated. You say you had a breakdown, do you mean an actual mental break down which can be verified by doctors, and the university you were attending at the time? If so, then you may be able to claim that year back and not have to repay it and therefore have the three years funding still available to you.

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked into getting qualified as QTLs? You dont have to go the degree route for that

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

• I'm 32

Thanks!
    SuperCat007's advice is very good. Whether you get full funding really depends on what happened in 2006. However, even if you did not 'withdraw' properly I think you probably have good grounds for applying for full support given that you were unlikely to know the financial implications of your actions at the time but nor were you in a position to really deal with that at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    SuperCat007's advice is very good. Whether you get full funding really depends on what happened in 2006. However, even if you did not 'withdraw' properly I think you probably have good grounds for applying for full support given that you were unlikely to know the financial implications of your actions at the time but nor were you in a position to really deal with that at the time.
    Sadly you can't plead ignorance. When you sign the declaration to say you understand the terms of the loan, that includes an understanding that the only way you can get the money back is if you can prove illness/mitigating circumstances which prevented you completing the year. This does include going through the correct procedures when dropping out which normally includes also notifying SFE at the time, though they're very selective with what they remember about you. So if you have doctor's letters and letters from the uni that should be enough to prove that illness caused you to drop out at the time which you could not control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperCat007)
    Sadly you can't plead ignorance. When you sign the declaration to say you understand the terms of the loan, that includes an understanding that the only way you can get the money back is if you can prove illness/mitigating circumstances which prevented you completing the year. This does include going through the correct procedures when dropping out which normally includes also notifying SFE at the time, though they're very selective with what they remember about you. So if you have doctor's letters and letters from the uni that should be enough to prove that illness caused you to drop out at the time which you could not control.
    Oh, I was not suggesting he plead ignorance. Quite the opposite. The problem is whether he was removed correctly on medical grounds in 2006. Having said that, even if things were not done correctly he probably has some grounds to argue that he was not in a good position to ensure things were done properly. That is what I meant.

ReputationRep:
    I am in a similar situation except i had funding for 2 yrs of a degree in 2006 then i had to leave. In 2011 i went back to uni on a new degree and got full funding. It took me 4 yrs to get to the 3rd year then due to circumstances i could not complete the 3rd year. I want to go back to uni but so unsure about funding. Did you get funding??

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.