Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know both are very different degrees but I urgently need help as I almost cry thinking about it. I am in yr12 and have chosen maths further maths biology chemistry and economics alongside general studies. Ever since I was little I wanted to be a dentist as its good pay and is in the medical career branch (both my parents are doctors). However I have a passion for maths and looking into economics I really enjoy it! My sixth form is basically saying it's too hard to do 5 a levels and encouraging me to drop one in a month after testing all the subjects, do I carry on doing all? do I go into dentistry and drop economics? Dropping both biology and chemistry is a really upsetting idea for me as I am quite good at them. So I need advice what is better please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queenleelee)
    I know both are very different degrees but I urgently need help as I almost cry thinking about it. I am in yr12 and have chosen maths further maths biology chemistry and economics alongside general studies. Ever since I was little I wanted to be a dentist as its good pay and is in the medical career branch (both my parents are doctors). However I have a passion for maths and looking into economics I really enjoy it! My sixth form is basically saying it's too hard to do 5 a levels and encouraging me to drop one in a month after testing all the subjects, do I carry on doing all? do I go into dentistry and drop economics? Dropping both biology and chemistry is a really upsetting idea for me as I am quite good at them. So I need advice what is better please
    You don't need economics to study it at uni, but you do need bio and chem for dentistry (I believe), so you can keep both career paths open by dropping economics.

ultimately, no one can make the decision for you. don't feel pressured by your parents to do what they want you to do, because it is always your choice. dentistry is a commitment but i doubt that you're committed if you're also interested in economics and seemingly money. Dentistry will provide you with stable and high income, but that is all. Economics, if you study at a very top uni, offers you the chance to make a lot of money if you make the right decisions.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 10, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.