Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically I don't take chemistry at A2 or AS and would like to do medicine. I was thinking about completing this year then taking a year out to study chemistry then apply for medicine. Ive asked a few unis if the would accept this and only one got back saying they ask for the a-levels being done over 2 years. I was wondering if anyone has done this or knows of any ui that would allow this.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    As far as I known most medical schools want you to do A levels within 2 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dont)
    Basically I don't take chemistry at A2 or AS and would like to do medicine. I was thinking about completing this year then taking a year out to study chemistry then apply for medicine. Ive asked a few unis if the would accept this and only one got back saying they ask for the a-levels being done over 2 years. I was wondering if anyone has done this or knows of any ui that would allow this.

Thanks
    Look into foundation courses- depending on your circumstances you may be able to get in to a foundation year leading straight into the normal course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dont)

Thanks
    Also I think uea is the only med school which doesn't require chemistry a level. Worth looking into.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got offers from Kings and Barts this year and I studied AS Chemistry at night classes as I did a humanities degree....haven't got the full A Level. Not sure if it's the same for 2016 entry but worth checking the websites. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dont)

Thanks
    Just take it at AS then you'd be covering the entry requirement that either Chem or Bio is taken to AS level. A lot of universities would consider your application then. If you haven't begun your AS yet then I'd take Chem to A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dont)

Thanks
    This is a link to Med Schools A level requirements, showing which require Chemistry at A2, AS or not at all:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...el-requirement
    You could sit Chemistry in your year out and that would still count as having completed A levels within 2 years, as long as you meet the required minimum 3 As at A2 out of those you are sitting this time round, as most Med Schools insist their 3 As are achieved at one sitting (and you could then add the required Chemistry later, each A level having only taken 2 years). I would clarify this exact situation with any Med Schools you are interested in, but my understanding is that this would be acceptable to them.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.