Turn on thread page Beta

Which maths should i choose based on my other A levels? Mechanics or Statistics? watch

ReputationRep:
    For my A levels I have chosen Psychology, English Literature, Maths and History. At the moment I am in the statistics class but am worrying as I have read that it is not as interesting or well respected as mechanics and I think I would enjoy both. I haven't taken any sciences so could anyone advise me if one compliments any of my other subjects better( e.g psychology) or if one is more enjoyable as I have the chance to change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellxnd)
    For my A levels I have chosen Psychology, English Literature, Maths and History. At the moment I am in the statistics class but am worrying as I have read that it is not as interesting or well respected as mechanics and I think I would enjoy both. I haven't taken any sciences so could anyone advise me if one compliments any of my other subjects better( e.g psychology) or if one is more enjoyable as I have the chance to change.
    I believe if you were to do psychology at uni. there is some statistics involved though I don't think it's at a very deep level.
    I remember friends who studied psychology used to come to us maths students for statistics help.

I personally found statistics more enjoyable than mechanics.

ReputationRep:
    Statistic. Mechanics is more for if you were going to do engineering or similar subjects which you won't with these.

ReputationRep:
    Not as well respected... lol

ReputationRep:
    STATS I would not at all advise doing mechanics if you're not studying physics as I believe it is way more difficult without the additional tutoring on the physics side. Stats is fairly straightforward as long as you don't mind graphs charts and probability. I was originally studying physics and hated it, so I dropped it a few months in therefore I was advised to move maths group to study stats rather than mechanics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurahague)
    STATS I would not at all advise doing mechanics if you're not studying physics as I believe it is way more difficult without the additional tutoring on the physics side. Stats is fairly straightforward as long as you don't mind graphs charts and probability. I was originally studying physics and hated it, so I dropped it a few months in therefore I was advised to move maths group to study stats rather than mechanics.
    It's not that its without physics, really my mechanics helped the physics. But with future careers it would be pointless to do mechanics with those choices, statistics would be more useful. Also OP its not less respected, it just depends what you are going into.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    From your A-level choices Stats seems like less hassle. I'd only recommend Mechanics if you really like Maths and/or Physics.

And to me, stats was interesting and I'm not sure if it'll make a difference to your application.

ReputationRep:
    Stats easier

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest stats as it will help your Psychology - the subject is Maths and your certificate will not say which applied modules you've done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    It's not that its without physics, really my mechanics helped the physics. But with future careers it would be pointless to do mechanics with those choices, statistics would be more useful. Also OP its not less respected, it just depends what you are going into.
    That's what I was saying its pointless to study it when its not really needed, I would only have done it if I was studying physics

ReputationRep:
    Ha, this just makes me giggle to be honest Of course it's respected. And it's also only one module in your whole Maths A Level anyway.
    I'd say Stats personally. I did that one, and it's really easy. Personally, I found it a little dull, but from what I've heard, it's much easier than Mechanics which is why I did Stats. Make life easy for myself!
    If you're going to go on to Engineering or something similar at university, then mechanics would be better. However, if not it doesn't really matter. Although I have heard if you do a Psychology degree, for example, Stats would stand you in good stead.

ReputationRep:
    maths is maths.... they're both well respected.. i'm on the stats course, because we don't have the choice of mechanics... but i wish i could have done mechanics - i think i'd be more suited to it

ReputationRep:
    did both, got an A in stats and a B in mechanics. Stats is so much easier in my opinion and both are well respected. Its only one module so go for the easier one!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.