Which maths should i choose based on my other A levels? Mechanics or Statistics?

Watch
ellxnd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
For my A levels I have chosen Psychology, English Literature, Maths and History. At the moment I am in the statistics class but am worrying as I have read that it is not as interesting or well respected as mechanics and I think I would enjoy both. I haven't taken any sciences so could anyone advise me if one compliments any of my other subjects better( e.g psychology) or if one is more enjoyable as I have the chance to change.
nucdev
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ellxnd)
For my A levels I have chosen Psychology, English Literature, Maths and History. At the moment I am in the statistics class but am worrying as I have read that it is not as interesting or well respected as mechanics and I think I would enjoy both. I haven't taken any sciences so could anyone advise me if one compliments any of my other subjects better( e.g psychology) or if one is more enjoyable as I have the chance to change.
I believe if you were to do psychology at uni. there is some statistics involved though I don't think it's at a very deep level.
I remember friends who studied psychology used to come to us maths students for statistics help.

I personally found statistics more enjoyable than mechanics.
Vikingninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Statistic. Mechanics is more for if you were going to do engineering or similar subjects which you won't with these.
midgemeister7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not as well respected... lol
laurahague
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
STATS I would not at all advise doing mechanics if you're not studying physics as I believe it is way more difficult without the additional tutoring on the physics side. Stats is fairly straightforward as long as you don't mind graphs charts and probability. I was originally studying physics and hated it, so I dropped it a few months in therefore I was advised to move maths group to study stats rather than mechanics.
Vikingninja
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by laurahague)
STATS I would not at all advise doing mechanics if you're not studying physics as I believe it is way more difficult without the additional tutoring on the physics side. Stats is fairly straightforward as long as you don't mind graphs charts and probability. I was originally studying physics and hated it, so I dropped it a few months in therefore I was advised to move maths group to study stats rather than mechanics.
It's not that its without physics, really my mechanics helped the physics. But with future careers it would be pointless to do mechanics with those choices, statistics would be more useful. Also OP its not less respected, it just depends what you are going into.
Kevin De Bruyne
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
From your A-level choices Stats seems like less hassle. I'd only recommend Mechanics if you really like Maths and/or Physics.

And to me, stats was interesting and I'm not sure if it'll make a difference to your application.
Rabadon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Stats easier
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd suggest stats as it will help your Psychology - the subject is Maths and your certificate will not say which applied modules you've done!
laurahague
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Vikingninja)
It's not that its without physics, really my mechanics helped the physics. But with future careers it would be pointless to do mechanics with those choices, statistics would be more useful. Also OP its not less respected, it just depends what you are going into.
That's what I was saying its pointless to study it when its not really needed, I would only have done it if I was studying physics
KittKatt
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ha, this just makes me giggle to be honest Of course it's respected. And it's also only one module in your whole Maths A Level anyway.
I'd say Stats personally. I did that one, and it's really easy. Personally, I found it a little dull, but from what I've heard, it's much easier than Mechanics which is why I did Stats. Make life easy for myself!
If you're going to go on to Engineering or something similar at university, then mechanics would be better. However, if not it doesn't really matter. Although I have heard if you do a Psychology degree, for example, Stats would stand you in good stead.
alex144
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
maths is maths.... they're both well respected.. i'm on the stats course, because we don't have the choice of mechanics... but i wish i could have done mechanics - i think i'd be more suited to it
oliviaschuermans
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
did both, got an A in stats and a B in mechanics. Stats is so much easier in my opinion and both are well respected. Its only one module so go for the easier one!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.18%
I'm not sure (26)
4.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (179)
31.74%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.13%
I'm not a current university student (267)
47.34%

Watched Threads