Turn on thread page Beta

Career not related to degree? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm going into my second year and I have realised that I'd really like to work at the university either in the outreach team or students support. This isnt directly related to my degree (health and social care). I'm worried people will think im not meeting my full potential (but they dont know i have an anxiety disorder and i dont want to explain that to everyone). I'm also worried that the employers will wonder why i'm not doing something else too.
    However i love my course and am really good at it so dont want to do anything else.
    Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it matters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hevachan)
    I'm going into my second year and I have realised that I'd really like to work at the university either in the outreach team or students support. This isnt directly related to my degree (health and social care). I'm worried people will think im not meeting my full potential (but they dont know i have an anxiety disorder and i dont want to explain that to everyone). I'm also worried that the employers will wonder why i'm not doing something else too.
    However i love my course and am really good at it so dont want to do anything else.
    Like always, ask the university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FreakySheep)
    Like always, ask the university.
    My question is more about what peoplss opinions will be. I know that it wont stop me getting the job but i can imagine i will be asked about it.. thanks for your reply though
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The majority of grad jobs don't specify a degree subject, so I don't think it'd matter much.

You need to focus on what interests you about outreach, and maybe try to get some work experience there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My question is more about what peoplss opinions will be. I know that it wont stop me getting the job but i can imagine i will be asked about it.. thanks for your reply though
    Oh, fair enough, sorry!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.