Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I am really stuck as to where to apply for undergraduate medicine this year, I am a gap year student and about to take another year out due to several reasons. the breakdown of my application is as of the following:

GCSE: 5A* (maths, triple science) 5A (English) 2B triple Distinction
    went to underachieving school, less than national average
    AS: AAAA (chem, bio, maths, history)
    A2: AAA (chem, bio, maths)work experience / volunteering:
    - charity shop (BHF)
    - restaurant (both years of college, offered management position)
    - teaching / volunteering in year 6 for 6months
    - W/E on wards, A&E, with Physiotherapist / occupational therapists
    - currently work as HCA in a hospital on cardiac ward (helped and learnt lots here i.e patient care and pathway from start to end, emergency situations, infection prevention, policy and procedures, role of Dr's, junior doctor roles etc) for roughly 1 year
    - also currently work as support worker for adults with learning disabilities for roughly 1 year

other:
    - basketball team in secondary school
    - recreational badminton in college
    - used to organise events in community / seminars at temple
    - involved in community quite a lot, attend temple, groups etc
    - care for 2 family members atm who are very ill (one is terminal & degenerative)

I will be sitting both the UKCAT and BMAT (for first time this year). In the past haven't done so great on UKCAT got 2510 last year. My personal statement is quite good and reflective, finding it hard to incorporate all of family events that have happened suddenly this year

Last year applied to: Bristol, Liverpool, Lancaster, Exeter... got an interview for Bristol early on but no offer. they said they very much liked my personal statement

year before last applied: Southampton (access), brighton and sussex, Liverpool and got interview for brighton and sussex but no offer.

Any help or advice would be great please and also alternative courses to medicine???

THANKS!!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 9, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.