Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    So I am trying to get a range of universities in my ucas application. My predicted grades for my A2s are 3 A, and a B.
    The universities that I am doubtful about are Keele, Northumbria and Huddersfield.
    Could you please let me know if these universities are good for law. I'd value it a lot if you went to one of these universities/know someone who went there, and potentially did law as well.
    Thank you very, very much.

ReputationRep:
    *bump*

ReputationRep:
    *bump again*

ReputationRep:
    if you're predicted AAAB then no, all three are absolutely crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orphan_black)
    if you're predicted AAAB then no, all three are absolutely crap.
    I know Keele is asking for AAB as an entry requirement. I am just trying to get a range of universities in, just in case if I don't achieve my predicted grades (which shouldn't happen, but I'm trying to be realistic).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saule1116)
    I know Keele is asking for AAB as an entry requirement. I am just trying to get a range of universities in, just in case if I don't achieve my predicted grades (which shouldn't happen, but I'm trying to be realistic).
    Listen mate, most unis will ask for anything above ABB so don't use that as a standard for how good the uni is (look at QMUL with is A*AA requirement vs. Oxford's AAA requirement)... difference is that unis like ones you mentioned will take anyone with any grades when it comes to results day.

Doing Law at any of those three universities will seriously hinder your chances of a career in Law. I know league tables can be unreliable at times but they're definitely a good reference point so with AAAB predictions you should ideally at least apply for Russell Group unis in the top 20: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...rankings?s=law

ReputationRep:
    If you want a safe option, go for Liverpool with its ABB requirement (a decent RG uni) or City

ReputationRep:
    Listen mate, most unis will ask for anything above ABB so don't use that as a standard for how good the uni is (look at QMUL with is A*AA requirement vs. Oxford's AAA requirement)... difference is that unis like ones you mentioned will take anyone with any grades when it comes to results day.

Doing Law at any of those three universities will seriously hinder your chances of a career in Law. I know league tables can be unreliable at times but they're definitely a good reference point so with AAAB predictions you should ideally at least apply for Russell Group unis in the top 20: http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...rankings?s=law
    Oh, okay. I'll have a look and see what I can do. Thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, okay. I'll have a look and see what I can do. Thank you very much.
    Sorry if my tone came across as harsh but your predictions are great and I don't want anyone to sell themselves short!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if my tone came across as harsh but your predictions are great and I don't want anyone to sell themselves short!
    Don't worry about it! Glad to have some advice!
    Yeah, but my progress tutor advised me to maybe include some safe options which require the grades I have now, as unis tend to use your current AS level results as a predicted grade for your whole a-level. Therefore, I panicked and basically aimed really low. It's just that none of these three universities interest me, therefore if I were to get an offer, I'd just feel miserable and probably give up...

ReputationRep:
    If you want a safe option, go for Liverpool with its ABB requirement (a decent RG uni) or City
    Did you go to Liverpool uni?

ReputationRep:
    Apply to better Universities, and keep 2 of as back ups.
    Apply to I.e. Nottingham / Bristol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyserg)
    Apply to better Universities, and keep 2 of as back ups.
    Apply to I.e. Nottingham / Bristol
    I had a look at Nottingham and the Nottingham university and it didn't attract me at all. I prefer places like Durham (which is my top 2 choice), which are slightly old fashioned and yet beautiful. I'll make sure to have a look at Bristol

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    So I am trying to get a range of universities in my ucas application. My predicted grades for my A2s are 3 A, and a B.
    The universities that I am doubtful about are Keele, Northumbria and Huddersfield.
    Could you please let me know if these universities are good for law. I'd value it a lot if you went to one of these universities/know someone who went there, and potentially did law as well.
    You should be aiming higher. Keele might be an acceptable fifth choice, but it shouldn't be anything more than that. As for Northumbria/Huddersfield, you'd be better off waiting a year and reapplying if those were your options.

On a side note, if your ultimate goal is to be a lawyer, you don't need to study law. You can take a one-year law conversion course later. The university you go to is much more important than the subject you study.

As others have said, with the possible exception of your fifth choice you should be looking at RG universities. Bristol, Durham, Nottingham, Warwick, Exeter, UCL, LSE and KCL in particular.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    You should be aiming higher. Keele might be an acceptable fifth choice, but it shouldn't be anything more than that. As for Northumbria/Huddersfield, you'd be better off waiting a year and reapplying if those were your options.

On a side note, if your ultimate goal is to be a lawyer, you don't need to study law. You can take a one-year law conversion course later. The university you go to is much more important than the subject you study.

As others have said, with the possible exception of your fifth choice you should be looking at RG universities. Bristol, Durham, Nottingham, Warwick, Exeter, UCL, LSE and KCL in particular.
    Durham is my second choice at the moment. Just trying to fill in my last three options, including some safe ones and at the same time trying to make sure that those safe ones are worth applying for and that I will enjoy them in case if my top 2 choices reject me.

ReputationRep:
    Durham is my second choice at the moment. Just trying to fill in my last three options, including some safe ones and at the same time trying to make sure that those safe ones are worth applying for and that I will enjoy them in case if my top 2 choices reject me.
    Your best bang for buck would be Liverpool. ABB is surprisingly low for an RG LLB programme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    Your best bang for buck would be Liverpool. ABB is surprisingly low for an RG LLB programme.
    Thank you so much. I'll make sure to check out their law prospectus as well as making sure to see when the open days are.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    If you want a range then I reckon you should apply to Leicester (AAB) and/ or Exeter (AAA-AAB) both are very good and are well reputed if you want to go down the solicitor or barrister group

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostrider)
    If you want a range then I reckon you should apply to Leicester (AAB) and/ or Exeter (AAA-AAB) both are very good and are well reputed if you want to go down the solicitor or barrister group
    Thanks. I've included Leicester as one of my uni choices.

ReputationRep:
    As everyone's been saying, there really is no point studying law if you don't go to a russell group if not TOP russell group university. The three that you mentioned are kind of rubbish, sorry. Have you thought about having to do LNAT? Bristol, UCL, Nottingham all require these but are also fantastic Unis. My friend's brother got an offer from Liverpool for Law at ABB but still got in with CCC (and an A in Welsh Bac) !!! Which kind of says something about the university.... Really do aim high at least for 1 or 2 choices because you don't want to regret it later in life if you've ended up on the pathway to mediocrity

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 3, 2015

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.