Turn on thread page Beta

What are your coping strategies? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ASMR used to work for my anxiety but now it has become all-consuming!

I'm going to try deep breathing see if that works. I used to be able to ignore what caused me anxiety but not any more it seems. I wake up in the morning and it just hits me.

How do you cope?

ReputationRep:
    I'm obsessed with ASMR videos

But I'm really struggling for coping strategies atm too, though one thing I'm giving a go is mindfulness meditation, whenever I do it it does seem to help, though I really struggle to motivate myself to do it

ReputationRep:
    Yoga helps a lot. If it ever gets to the point where I feel like I want to harm myself, I go for a very fast run.

Usually just keeping myself busy helps a lot, but it's getting the motivation to actually keep myself busy that's difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SammyHam)
    Yoga helps a lot. If it ever gets to the point where I feel like I want to harm myself, I go for a very fast run.

Usually just keeping myself busy helps a lot, but it's getting the motivation to actually keep myself busy that's difficult.
    I don't self harm so I don't have a go to thing to do. Keeping busy is a good one but we all need down time.

(Original post by Olie)
    I'm obsessed with ASMR videos

But I'm really struggling for coping strategies atm too, though one thing I'm giving a go is mindfulness meditation, whenever I do it it does seem to help, though I really struggle to motivate myself to do it
    Whose videos do you watch? I can't stand to be alone with my own thoughts.

ReputationRep:

Hope everything works out for you, OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NishaaaR)

Hope everything works out for you, OP.
    Thank you for your suggestions. I've taken a break from the gym over the summer due to costs and there isn't one close enough that I can walk to within a reasonable time frame. Come a weeks time and it will be included in my rent. I know it really helped me, as I could compete with myself, try to up my game weekly/monthly.

Walking in a vibrant area sounds pretty good. I love Birmingham and getting the train but with going back to university, I won't be able to manage this. Might use it for some 'me' time during the holidays though. Never thought it could help my anxiety. I'll give it a go.

ReputationRep:
    Lots and lots of music, watching dance videos or films about dance, musicals because they're super distracting. Writing a poem, writing a story/reading a story or going shopping.

for me I would say a 20 minute powernap or a 20 minute walk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EloiseStar)
    Thank you for your suggestions. I've taken a break from the gym over the summer due to costs and there isn't one close enough that I can walk to within a reasonable time frame. Come a weeks time and it will be included in my rent. I know it really helped me, as I could compete with myself, try to up my game weekly/monthly.

Walking in a vibrant area sounds pretty good. I love Birmingham and getting the train but with going back to university, I won't be able to manage this. Might use it for some 'me' time during the holidays though. Never thought it could help my anxiety. I'll give it a go.
    You don't need a gym to exercise. Go to a park or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welkom)
    You don't need a gym to exercise. Go to a park or something.
    I prefer the gym. I walk during the summer, but the gym environment provides me with more comfort than a park.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, as others said going for a walk or jog helps loads, I normally use the computer for down time and watch TV but I've also recently bought a coloring book, these are getting really popular and its a great way to concentrate on something else for a few hours and doesn't require much artistic skill, something like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/books/dp/184...oks+for+adults

ReputationRep:
    Going for a walk, having a lie down and listening to a relaxation ap, having a cup of tea (I usually have chamomile but any works), writing in my diary, cleaning/organising or sitting somewhere peaceful outside and listening to the sounds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fake it until I make it. :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    I can deal with my panic attacks now, its OCD I can't deal with at the mo. I try to force myself to challenge my thoughts which is easier said than done most of the time.

My best coping methods to relax are to make sure I eat. My anxiety and OCD gets ten times worse if I don't eat or sleep, I go for a bath, interact with my cats and if all else fails, I go to bed and watch either Still Game or Rab C Nesbitt. Those two shows always help cheer me up and distract me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    I can deal with my panic attacks now, its OCD I can't deal with at the mo. I try to force myself to challenge my thoughts which is easier said than done most of the time.

My best coping methods to relax are to make sure I eat. My anxiety and OCD gets ten times worse if I don't eat or sleep, I go for a bath, interact with my cats and if all else fails, I go to bed and watch either Still Game or Rab C Nesbitt. Those two shows always help cheer me up and distract me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My OCD causes my anxiety. I have OCD for negative, health scares, consequently causing anxiety. I've convinced myself for now I'm ok. Going to bed very early is helping at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EloiseStar)
    Whose videos do you watch? I can't stand to be alone with my own thoughts.
    Loads atm

My favourites are probably GentleWhispering and MassageASMR, but there are lots of really good ones out there, I find myself watching them all the time really, even when I'm not feeling anxious or depressed

And neither can I, I can very easily fall into the trap of negative thinking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olie)
    Loads atm

My favourites are probably GentleWhispering and MassageASMR, but there are lots of really good ones out there, I find myself watching them all the time really, even when I'm not feeling anxious or depressed

And neither can I, I can very easily fall into the trap of negative thinking
    I love Dimitri! (Massage ASMR)

Try JB Green (the girl with dark brown hair and says hey y'all, there's two with the name name), Lloyd's ASMR and Ephemeral Rift.

ReputationRep:
    Sorting ou/cleaningt my room. I feel so much better whenever I do that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 16, 2015
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.