Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have done it for one complete year, and it was pointless and boring, but I learnt something from it, so I think that's the important thing right?

Did I make a bad decision to quit?

I'll tell you why it was pointless, I thought I would help teachers or students especially, but all I did was ask people where they are going (that's annoying and just nosy). If they had a valid reason then I'd let them through.

What's worse is that when they do have a valid reason there is ANOTHER prefect on the other side of the hallway (it's a big glass wall with a door), who is only like 2 metres from where I'm standing and they would ask the same question! There are too many prefects and literally anyone just got chosen.

I was going to apply for head girl but it was a popularity contest on the first round and I don't want to go to people to ask for them to vote for me. Plus I would have to continue my prefect duties which really put me off.

From my experience I did learn something about speaking to the students. Don't worry about what I learnt lol, I'd like to keep it to myself :P

I don't think that not being a prefect will reduce your chances of studying medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Not the best idea to quit something, only because it doesn't look very good and I'm not sure if can write it on applications, etc... now? Personally, I would have stuck it out because it shows commitment.

ReputationRep:
    You probably should've just played it out until the end of the year, then it's looks better on your applications, but if you didn't enjoy it, then I guess you did the good thing

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well if you think it was the right decision then fair enough

ReputationRep:
    But will colleges and unis think poorly of my commitment? I don't have to mention how long exactly I have done it do I? I usually don't quit with these type of things, it's my first time.

ReputationRep:
    i was picked for prefect in highschool (only 10 people were picked) but i said no because i wasn't picked for Head Girl. I was angry because she got to wear a black blazer whereas i was stuck w navy. But I understand why she was picked: super pretty, super smart, super polite. Me: average brains, average looks, average polite. 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Punkrockfan)
    i was picked for prefect in highschool (only 10 people were picked) but i said no because i wasn't picked for Head Girl. I was angry because she got to wear a black blazer whereas i was stuck w navy. But I understand why she was picked: super pretty, super smart, super polite. Me: average brains, average looks, average polite. 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽
    Lool that sounds unfair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geniequeen48)
    Lool that sounds unfair.
    Lmfao, no its fine😂 i was over it in 2 days😁

ReputationRep:
    Omg I dont even bother putting I was a prefect on my c.v and havent since I was about 18. If you have work experience and volunteering experience there are much better things you can talk about to unis/employers.

Being a prefect is so insignificant. Unis wont give a flying ****, I didnt mention it either time I applied to uni

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I don't think being a prefect is worth the time. In my school, prefects have to spend their lunch breaks on duty and don't get much for it. You can apply to a sixth form college just fine if you have good grades and a half decent personal statement (which nobody really cares about at this stage) without mentioning that you were a prefect. And when you get to the point where you're applying for university, you should probably just forget that you were ever a prefect.

LOL I remember being Deputy Head Boy in middle school, and prefect. Let me tell you a waste of time. But you're probably older thaan me soo :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dingooose)
    To be honest I don't think being a prefect is worth the time. In my school, prefects have to spend their lunch breaks on duty and don't get much for it. You can apply to a sixth form college just fine if you have good grades and a half decent personal statement (which nobody really cares about at this stage) without mentioning that you were a prefect. And when you get to the point where you're applying for university, you should probably just forget that you were ever a prefect.
    But I learnt something from it which I thought was good to say? Lol

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.