Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone,

I'm a gap year student about to take another year out and I am really stuck of where to apply for undergraduate medicine this year for 2016 entry. I am taking another year out for various reasons and here is just a breakdown of my application:

GCSE: 5A* (maths, triple science), 5A (English), 2B, Triple Distinction
    went to underachieving school / below national average
    AS: AAAA (chem, bio, maths, history)
    A2: AAA (chem, bio, maths)

Work experience / volunteering:
    - charity shop
    - teaching / volunteering in year 6 for 6 months
    - teaching / volunteering at weekend language classes- restaurant (both years of college) was offered management position - W/E on wards, A&E, with physiotherapists / occupational therapists
    - currently work as HCA in a hospital on cardiac ward (helped and learnt lots here i.e patient care and pathway from start to end, emergency situations, infection prevention, policy and procedures, role of Dr's, junior doctor roles etc) for roughly 1 year
    - also currently work as support worker for adults with learning disabilities for roughly 1 year

other:
    - basketball team in secondary school
    - recreational badminton in college
    - used to organise events in community / seminars at temple
    - involved in community quite a lot, attend temple, groups etc
    - care for 2 family members atm who are very ill (one is terminal & degenerative)

I will be sitting both the UKCAT and BMAT (for first time this year). In the past haven't done so great on UKCAT got 2510 last year. My personal statement is quite good and reflective, finding it hard to incorporate all of family events that have happened suddenly this year

Last year applied to: Bristol, Liverpool, Lancaster, Exeter... got an interview for Bristol early on but no offer. they said they very much liked my personal statement

year before last applied: Southampton (access), brighton and sussex, Liverpool and got interview for brighton and sussex but no offer.

Any help or advice would be great please and also alternative courses to medicine???

THANKS!!!

ReputationRep:
    any suggestions anyone?
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by tath)
    hi everyone,

I'm a gap year student about to take another year out and I am really stuck of where to apply for undergraduate medicine this year for 2016 entry. I am taking another year out for various reasons and here is just a breakdown of my application:

GCSE: 5A* (maths, triple science), 5A (English), 2B, Triple Distinction
    went to underachieving school / below national average
    AS: AAAA (chem, bio, maths, history)
    A2: AAA (chem, bio, maths)

Work experience / volunteering:
    - charity shop
    - teaching / volunteering in year 6 for 6 months
    - teaching / volunteering at weekend language classes- restaurant (both years of college) was offered management position - W/E on wards, A&E, with physiotherapists / occupational therapists
    - currently work as HCA in a hospital on cardiac ward (helped and learnt lots here i.e patient care and pathway from start to end, emergency situations, infection prevention, policy and procedures, role of Dr's, junior doctor roles etc) for roughly 1 year
    - also currently work as support worker for adults with learning disabilities for roughly 1 year

other:
    - basketball team in secondary school
    - recreational badminton in college
    - used to organise events in community / seminars at temple
    - involved in community quite a lot, attend temple, groups etc
    - care for 2 family members atm who are very ill (one is terminal & degenerative)

I will be sitting both the UKCAT and BMAT (for first time this year). In the past haven't done so great on UKCAT got 2510 last year. My personal statement is quite good and reflective, finding it hard to incorporate all of family events that have happened suddenly this year

Last year applied to: Bristol, Liverpool, Lancaster, Exeter... got an interview for Bristol early on but no offer. they said they very much liked my personal statement

year before last applied: Southampton (access), brighton and sussex, Liverpool and got interview for brighton and sussex but no offer.

Any help or advice would be great please and also alternative courses to medicine???

THANKS!!!
    You'll be in a better position to decide where to apply after you do your UKCAT. Your other stats look good though. I'd suggest having a read of this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...your_Strengths

The most important thing is to apply to your strengths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    You'll be in a better position to decide where to apply after you do your UKCAT. Your other stats look good though. I'd suggest having a read of this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...your_Strengths

hey, thanks for replying.

yeah I've used that the last two years I have applied but really unsure as my application seems pretty rounded and the only part that would excel is maybe work experience / clinical skills. I doubt I will get much higher than last year on the ukcat but we shall see.

I was thinking of taking the BMAT this year and applying to brighton and sussex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)

Hi,

so I didn't do as well as i thought i would in UKCAT, got 2450 which is a 612.5 avg. can anyone recomend universities to apply to that don't use the ukcat so much? Pearsons have annotated my result to say that there was some extenuating circumstances at home that may have had an impact on the outcome of my performance but not sure as to how much universities will take notice of this.

do you think it is worth me doing the BMAT?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tath)
    Hi,

so I didn't do as well as i thought i would in UKCAT, got 2450 which is a 612.5 avg. can anyone recomend universities to apply to that don't use the ukcat so much? Pearsons have annotated my result to say that there was some extenuating circumstances at home that may have had an impact on the outcome of my performance but not sure as to how much universities will take notice of this.

do you think it is worth me doing the BMAT?

thanks
    From what I'm aware of, Bristol do not consider UKCAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greyoyy)
    From what I'm aware of, Bristol do not consider UKCAT
    Hey,

Yeah bristol use 20% academics 80% Personal statement. But thats the only non-ukcat or non bmat uni i can apply to really so stuck on the others.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Can anybody suggest where I'd be ok to apply with these stats:3a* 8a* 1cUkcat 692.5 band 1Doing ib with predictions of 40/45Currently looking at Newcastle Southampton Exeter barts Manchester st George's

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 19, 2015
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.