The Student Room Group

Do you hate Indians or Pakistanis?

There has recently been a thread posted entitled "Do you hate Americans", it has spanned some 500 posts yet no-one seems to have objected to the title.

I speculated as to if the thread would have been acceptable should the question have been asked about people from India or Pakistan. I thought that any such thread would have been deleted with the originator branded a racist.

If the question had been asked "do you hate America?" then it would have been valid because it would have been asking about the country as an entity however as it was AmericanS it was refering to the people as a population and this is surly asking about them as a race.

So, personally I think that the Indian and Pakistanis are a fairly nice bunch who work hard and bring valueable labour to our country. What do you think?

However the main point of this thread is to see how people react. If this thread gets flagged up as "racist" or unacceptable then surly the Americans one has to go too?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
there are some nice black/asian/packi people but we need to start moving the stani's back to their country as they have flooded london
No more/less than I hate America.

I know what you mean - it's currently 'in' to hate america, so people proceed to do it.

Also, note however, india/pakistan differ not only in government (from the uk), but also in race. That's why racism is a possible attack to the question - but a weak one.
Reply 3
A good point D.C.F.

I am just waiting to see how long before someone brands me a racist, the thread gets removed and I get some bad rep.

Call it an experiment in political correctness :biggrin:.
Reply 4
was going to, but then read the rest of your post...clever experiment, however i think it would have been wiser for you to choose a more neutral nation eg. spaniards or something....some people's racist views will obviously cloud their judgement and influence this topic, however something like what i suggested would prove that the mojority of people here 'hate' america because, as pointed out already, it is cool to do so.

n.b i don't hate america, i just disapprove of some of the actions of their govt, and the way in which some of their media cooperations promote their country/products etc
Reply 5
Do Chickens Fly

Also, note however, india/pakistan differ not only in government (from the uk),

What do you mean?
Reply 6
It seems that at the moment if you say anything at all about anyone of an Asian country you are branded a racist yet it is ok to slag off the Americans. This is why I chose these places instead of a country like Spain or Italy.
Reply 7
that is irrelavent, america's govt differs from the uk govt as well....it shouldn't be an influential factor (their actions on the other hand...)
Reply 8
priya
that is irrelavent, america's govt differs from the uk govt as well....it shouldn't be an influential factor (their actions on the other hand...)

That is the point which I am trying to make. A case could be made that (on certain issues) the Indian and Pakistani governments are more aligned to Britain than France is.
But then every government differs, the assertion made by MKK is vacuous, IMO.
Reply 9
Do Chickens Fly
No more/less than I hate America.

I know what you mean - it's currently 'in' to hate america, so people proceed to do it.

Also, note however, india/pakistan differ not only in government (from the uk), but also in race. That's why racism is a possible attack to the question - but a weak one.

I think that’s an incredibly simplistic point of view, and if it’s true, it is so I would speculate to a very small extent i.e. perhaps a slight ‘jump on the bandwagon’ type reaction. You’re basically implying that it’s some sort of a fashion, ok so the question to ask is why? Why is it ‘in’ to hate America, whereas not Iceland? Then again, perhaps it’s a cyclical process, and maybe once people are done with hating America they will turn their attentions to Iceland, Luxembourg, maybe even India and Pakistan. However, I really don’t think so.

Firstly, humour aside, I know of very few people who hate Americans. The concern is usually based around American foreign policy, which has been increasingly in the public eye. Whether you believe that all of these concerns are valid or not is irrelevant, they exist and quite frankly American foreign policy carries greater weight and power than any other thus why so much attention is focused upon it. Aside from a critique of American foreign policy, which of course is important, there’s no real anti-Americanism in this country. Take one look at the TV ‘entertainment’ we watch, the junk we eat, and the rubbish that we read a good proportion of it derives from America why would that be then? Also, an even better indicator would be the number of American tourists here, and Brits heading west for their holidays. However, it’s the dominant power, and by definition due to its dominance it exerts greater influence over our lives, whether this is in the form of international conflict or TV serials. Due to this, it’s of greater relevance for people in this country to discuss America and the nature of this influence. Now, the more you talk about something, the greater the chances being of critical comments being made on matters such as international relations. With India, Pakistan, Canada and Iceland, there’s less talk on these matters, and therefore the likelihood of criticism is lower. Perhaps if people were aware of the state sponsored terrorism that has occurred in India, as indeed Amnesty International are, and if people felt it was relevant to their lives, then there would perhaps be more ‘anti-Indianism’ but frankly, exceptions aside, people in this country are either just too lazy to carry out their research, or not particularly bothered. Although, here I use the term 'anti-Indianism' in the same sense as people do with anti-Americanism, i.e. a critique of government-the common, narrow and incorrect use of the term.
Reply 10
Mark_KK
It seems that at the moment if you say anything at all about anyone of an Asian country you are branded a racist yet it is ok to slag off the Americans. This is why I chose these places instead of a country like Spain or Italy.

Who's slagging off the Americans? Give me an example of a major main stream organisation, I mean aside from the drunken louts in your local bar - who're just as good with slagging off non-white Asylum Seekers.

It's criticism aimed at American foreign policy that we're seeing with greater frequency, is that 'anti-Americanism'? When Economists' criticise the system of corporate governance and finance in Japan, are they branded anti-Japan-ists?
Mark_KK
How does "do you hate americans" compare to "do you hate indians or pakistanis"? Is it not true that there are indians/pakistanis living in america that are classed as "americans" too? Americans aren't a race - you have some racial issues!
Americans arent a race but we are a special group wouldnt you say? :wink:
Reply 13
Do I hate Indians and Pakistanis? No.
Reply 14
I think people in britain are irritated with america for a number of reasons:

They disagree with american foreign policy.

They are annoyed that Blair sucks up to Bush.

They are annoyed by what they see as the "americanisation" of their country and culture

They see some examples of prospective or existing legislations in america as hypocritical e.g. everyone has the right to liberty and happiness so long as it impinges on no-one elses rights, and the proposed law to ban gay marriages.
Reply 15
I don't hate them, just as I don't hate America. I don't agree with American foreign policy. I also generally don't like the fact that America doesn't seem to have a good welfare system due to its capatalist nation.

With India and pakastan I read the Amenesty international magazine and a lot of people seem to be from India and pakastan. This worries me a bit. I am also worried about the conflict between the two countries and it flairing up again.
Reply 16
priya
n.b i don't hate america, i just disapprove of some of the actions of their govt, and the way in which some of their media cooperations promote their country/products etc

haha, i love how people are getting specific now..
Reply 17
randdom
I also generally don't like the fact that America doesn't seem to have a good welfare system due to its capatalist nation.

Britain is a capitalist society, do we have a good one? and what is 'good'?
Reply 18
J.S.
Aside from a critique of American foreign policy, which of course is important, there’s no real anti-Americanism in this country.

in Japan?

Take one look at the TV ‘entertainment’ we watch, the junk we eat, and the rubbish that we read a good proportion of it derives from America

hmm..
nofronting
How the f**k does "do you hate americans" compare to "do you hate indians or pakistanis"? Is it not true that there are indians/pakistanis living in america that are classed as "americans" too? Americans aren't a race - you have some racial issues!

India is a country
Pakistan is a country
America is a country

How is it any different to ask if people hate the inhabitants of one country to asking the same about the inhabitants of another country?

Oh and don't swear, you only risk your entire posts being deleted

Latest

Trending

Trending