Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you hate Indians or Pakistanis? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimoni)
    It's because she's an undercover spy... And if you don't agree with her, she's got contacts...
    yeah if you get a knock on the door in the middle of the night, don't answer just run for your life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    yeah but the US knew where the enemy was and who they were and what weapons they had
    the opinion of the public to whom the president was addressing was broadly sceptical. that is the point around which we were working.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    can we not go there?
    are you suggesting that the balkans may be the next domino in the row? i can't see it my self and i think the history of that place is a mess

ReputationRep:
    are you suggesting that the balkans may be the next domino in the row? i can't see it my self and i think the history of that place is a mess
    erm, no. i was suggesting it as a place where democracy spread after a regime had fallen.

ReputationRep:
    the opinion of the public to whom the president was addressing was broadly sceptical. that is the point around which we were working.
    there was no where near the same level of oposition to the cold war as there is to the war on terror

ReputationRep:
    there was no where near the same level of oposition to the cold war as there is to the war on terror
    in the US?

I wonder how many people, reading about the [Evil Empire'] speech or seeing bits on television, really noticed its outrageous character… Primitive: that is the only word for it. … What is the world to think when the greatest of powers is led by a man who applies to the most difficult human problem a simplistic theology – one in fact rejected by most theologians?... What must the leaders of Western Europe think of such a speech? They look to the head of the alliance for rhetoric that can persuade them and their constituents. What they get from Ronald Reagan is a mirror image of crude Soviet rhetoric. And it is more than rhetoric: everyone must sense that. The real Ronald Reagan was speaking in Orlando. The exaggeration and the simplicities are there not only in the rhetoric but in the process by which he makes decisions." - Anthony Lewis, New York Times, March 10, 1983

Something like the speech to the evangelicals is not presidential, it's not something a president should say. If the Russians are infinitely evil and we are infinitely good, then the logical first step is a nuclear first strike. Words like that frighten the American public and antagonize the Soviets. What good is that?" - Rick Hertzberg, New Yorker macher, quoted in the Washington Post, March 29, 1983.

ill leave you now

ReputationRep:
    erm, no. i was suggesting it as a place where democracy spread after a regime had fallen.
    yeah thats what i thought you meant but i wanted to check it wasnt the other first, the balkans has been instable for about 200 years since the ottoman empire fell, just abit longer than you were saying you thought it would take to sort out iraq

ReputationRep:
    in the US?

I wonder how many people, reading about the [Evil Empire'] speech or seeing bits on television, really noticed its outrageous character… Primitive: that is the only word for it. … What is the world to think when the greatest of powers is led by a man who applies to the most difficult human problem a simplistic theology – one in fact rejected by most theologians?... What must the leaders of Western Europe think of such a speech? They look to the head of the alliance for rhetoric that can persuade them and their constituents. What they get from Ronald Reagan is a mirror image of crude Soviet rhetoric. And it is more than rhetoric: everyone must sense that. The real Ronald Reagan was speaking in Orlando. The exaggeration and the simplicities are there not only in the rhetoric but in the process by which he makes decisions." - Anthony Lewis, New York Times, March 10, 1983

Something like the speech to the evangelicals is not presidential, it's not something a president should say. If the Russians are infinitely evil and we are infinitely good, then the logical first step is a nuclear first strike. Words like that frighten the American public and antagonize the Soviets. What good is that?" - Rick Hertzberg, New Yorker macher, quoted in the Washington Post, March 29, 1983.
    the cold war was an established war that the majority of europe realised they had to win tho, and altho Reagan's rethoric was wild at times i dont think anyone was really continplating nucelar war after realising how close they had come over cuba, the war on terror doesn't have this established history of agreeement over the conflict

ReputationRep:
    the cold war was an established war that the majority of europe realised they had to win tho, and altho Reagan's rethoric was wild at times i dont think anyone was really continplating nucelar war after realising how close they had come over cuba, the war on terror doesn't have this established history of agreeement over the conflict
    if you go back to 2002, the US was very much in agreement that it was the right course of action.

ReputationRep:
    if you go back to 2002, the US was very much in agreement that it was the right course of action.
    in america yes

ReputationRep:
    With who? Itself? Don't forget that the USA was still a nation in shock, who would believe anything their administration told them.

ReputationRep:
    There goes grandma vienna agai talking about the days when she was a in her 80's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangsta2)
    There goes grandma vienna agai talking about the days when she was a bit younger
    Thats asking for trouble!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangsta2)
    There goes grandma vienna agai talking about the days when she was a in her 80's
    lol good one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carldaman)
    Thats asking for trouble!
    Are you a viennanite (member of the international verbal support group for grandma vienna)

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not, her and I are ideologically opposed, but I recognise her debating skill, and her ability to flame others. Calling her a grangma will only anger her. I try to stay on her best side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carldaman)
    Absolutely not, her and I are ideologically opposed, but I recognise her debating skill, and her ability to flame others. Calling her a grangma will only anger her. I try to stay on her best side.
    Well the best way to fight fire is with water i.e. in a cool chilled out manner

ReputationRep:
    Not in the least. I will not advocate racism.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder why Indians and Pakkis are allowed to immigrate here in limitless numbers, and whites of course are not allowed to object to it. After all, this isn't India or Pakistan.

I also wonder why India is for Indians, Pakistan is for Pakkis but Britain is a multicultural melting-pot for all races (actually only for non-white races).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asher)
    I wonder why Indians and Pakkis are allowed to immigrate here in limitless numbers, and whites of course are not allowed to object to it. After all, this isn't India or Pakistan.

I also wonder why India is for Indians, Pakistan is for Pakkis but Britain is a multicultural melting-pot for all races (actually only for non-white races).
    Why do you have such a problem with people who aren't white living in Britian seriously. It is racist and there is no point to it. Many of my friends are of asian and they have and will contribute a lot to this country and I don't see why people like you don't see them as british because that is what they are.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.