Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riffraff)
    They see some examples of prospective or existing legislations in america as hypocritical e.g. everyone has the right to liberty and happiness so long as it impinges on no-one elses rights, and the proposed law to ban gay marriages.
    how is that hypocritical??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    India is a country
    Pakistan is a country
    America is a country
    Actually, America is two continents.
    The United States of America, which is what most people mean when they say America, is a country.
    It would be a very good idea to say precisely which you mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    There has recently been a thread posted entitled "Do you hate Americans", it has spanned some 500 posts yet no-one seems to have objected to the title.

I speculated as to if the thread would have been acceptable should the question have been asked about people from India or Pakistan. I thought that any such thread would have been deleted with the originator branded a racist.
    Good Point, when i first saw this thread my first thought is that it was rather racist but i agree it is only the same as do you hate america, but for some reason this doesn't seem racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    There has recently been a thread posted entitled "Do you hate Americans", it has spanned some 500 posts yet no-one seems to have objected to the title.

I speculated as to if the thread would have been acceptable should the question have been asked about people from India or Pakistan. I thought that any such thread would have been deleted with the originator branded a racist.

If the question had been asked "do you hate America?" then it would have been valid because it would have been asking about the country as an entity however as it was AmericanS it was refering to the people as a population and this is surly asking about them as a race.

So, personally I think that the Indian and Pakistanis are a fairly nice bunch who work hard and bring valueable labour to our country. What do you think?

However the main point of this thread is to see how people react. If this thread gets flagged up as "racist" or unacceptable then surly the Americans one has to go too?

Youve a good point, i also think the reactions to either title would vary greatly.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    Actually, America is two continents.
    The United States of America, which is what most people mean when they say America, is a country.
    It would be a very good idea to say precisely which you mean.
    <pedantalert>

Considering that the refernce to america/americans was based on a thread discussing the USA and it's inhabitants and government I assumed that I could get away with a colloquialism. Obviously I was wrong :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Oh deary me.

ReputationRep:
    i think 'hate' is a powerful word. i dont hate anyone, but i disagree with certain things.im an indian but im trying to look at things with an unbiased view.most indians hate the guts outa muslims.but i think that muslims are the only religious people that all stick to their islamic religion. i admire them for that, although i disagree with the whole world terrorism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neha p)
    .most indians hate the guts outa muslims.
    except the Indian Muslims?

ReputationRep:
    muslims are the only religious people that all stick to their islamic religion.

bull. Most of the muslims i know have sex, or have kissed people of the opposite sex, or at the very least speak to members of the opposite sex; all of which go against the religion. It is normal to see muslim girls wearing the same form-fitting jeans and figure-hugging tops that westerners wear; again, against the religion.

A bit off the topic, but anyway, there are hypocrytical muslims just like any other religion. It's quite arrogant to state that one group of people are perfectly adherent to their rules any more so than another. And it's not true anyway.

Now the original discussion may resume

ReputationRep:
    you're so right mark_kk

maybe its because the people who like to throw the racist term feel that people in the 3rd world, from minorities, or just people who've had to go through the tinniest amount off difficulty in life need to protected in someway.

People who throw the racist accusations arround also tend to be (dare i say it) liberals, who love to put down the great satan and its citizens at any opportunity and make up some of the biggest load of crap to support it. Kinda reminds me of Nazi anti-semitism.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=grace]bull. Most of the muslims i know have sex, or have kissed people of the opposite sex, or at the very least speak to members of the opposite sex; all of which go against the religion. It is normal to see muslim girls wearing the same form-fitting jeans and figure-hugging tops that westerners wear; again, against the religion.

You are right there, i was focusing on those true terrorist ppl who died and shook the world on 9/11 for there religion. but the girls are naughty, just like you said. i was going on holiday to india and i saw a couple of them slipping under their black thing just as the plane landed. sorry, u are completely correct there! xx

ReputationRep:
    mark_kk has an excellent point.

btw: To whoever said that Americans weren't a race, as America had people of various religions and nationalities in it...
    Hmmm I suppose India and Pakistan don't then? :rolleyes: Well, there's at least one Saudi-Arabian Muslim who I can think of who's *probably* in Pakistan.

ReputationRep:
    You are right there, i was focusing on those true terrorist ppl who died and shook the world on 9/11 for there religion. but the girls are naughty, just like you said. i was going on holiday to india and i saw a couple of them slipping under their black thing just as the plane landed. sorry, u are completely correct there! xx
    Those black cloak-type things must be such a b!tch to wear! I went on holiday to Dubai an it was so hot it was all I could do to wear shorts and a t-shirt... but I saw all these women there wearing those robes and I jus felt so bad for them - but then I was told not to stare at them (oops) because it's insulting.

I didn't really go in for the vibe of the place tbh.

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    you folded like a deck of cards!!

ahh newbies..so pure, still untainted by forum bitterness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    <pedantalert>

Considering that the refernce to america/americans was based on a thread discussing the USA and it's inhabitants and government I assumed that I could get away with a colloquialism. Obviously I was wrong :rolleyes:
    Not just a colloquiallism: an assumption- shared by many people- which distorts their perception.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    except the Indian Muslims?
    In many cases unfortunately, going by Indians I have met, especially the Indian muslims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    A bit off the topic, but anyway, there are hypocrytical muslims just like any other religion. It's quite arrogant to state that one group of people are perfectly adherent to their rules any more so than another. And it's not true anyway.
    D
    It is the hypocrites who civilise religions and make them tolerable and tolerant. The dedicated members are the ones that kill for their religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    In many cases unfortunately, going by Indians I have met, especially the Indian muslims.
    Indian Muslims hate muslims?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    Indian Muslims hate muslims?
    Apologies. I read as "Indians hate the guts outta muslims except the indian muslims.", which i doubted; not, as you seem to have meant, "most Indians, except Indian muslims, hate the guts outta muslims."

ReputationRep:
    I know this may sound off-topic but why are Eurosceptics sometimes labelled anti-European? They may not like the EEC/EU but that doesn't mean they have racist views on any of the member states that belong to the EEC/EU at that time. Guess it's all about being PC...

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.