Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you hate Indians or Pakistanis? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=neha p]
    (Original post by grace)
    bull. Most of the muslims i know have sex, or have kissed people of the opposite sex, or at the very least speak to members of the opposite sex; all of which go against the religion.
    **** iim muslim but seem to have forgotten the part of the religion where it says u shud not speak to members of the opposite sex. Im gonna go and tell my paretns right away!! I mean they are such sinners, i heard my mum say something to my dad just this morning!

nooooooooo, please tell me what i can do to help them (with ur vast knowledge of the religion), to save them from this regretable position

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    There has recently been a thread posted entitled "Do you hate Americans", it has spanned some 500 posts yet no-one seems to have objected to the title.

I speculated as to if the thread would have been acceptable should the question have been asked about people from India or Pakistan. I thought that any such thread would have been deleted with the originator branded a racist.

If the question had been asked "do you hate America?" then it would have been valid because it would have been asking about the country as an entity however as it was AmericanS it was refering to the people as a population and this is surly asking about them as a race.

So, personally I think that the Indian and Pakistanis are a fairly nice bunch who work hard and bring valueable labour to our country. What do you think?

However the main point of this thread is to see how people react. If this thread gets flagged up as "racist" or unacceptable then surly the Americans one has to go too?
    I've objected to the US one for a while, but if i did it publicly i would get a whole bunch of "Its my opinion, and it cant be wrong" stuff, so i keep my mouth shut, which mind you isnt that easy on that thread

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say that I hate them, as they're not worth hating. But I dislike Pakistanis/Indians.

I'm the first to admit that I'm racist, and I'm ashamed of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I know this may sound off-topic but why are Eurosceptics sometimes labelled anti-European? They may not like the EEC/EU but that doesn't mean they have racist views on any of the member states that belong to the EEC/EU at that time. Guess it's all about being PC...
    a Europhile slur.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pugnacious)
    **** iim muslim but seem to have forgotten the part of the religion where it says u shud not speak to members of the opposite sex. Im gonna go and tell my paretns right away!! I mean they are such sinners, i heard my mum say something to my dad just this morning!

nooooooooo, please tell me what i can do to help them (with ur vast knowledge of the religion), to save them from this regretable position

if that's meant to be sarcastic, i suggest you actually go and find out more about your own religion before automatically assuming i know absolutely nothing about it. Of course it's not a sin for married people to talk to one another, why be so ridiculous as to suggest such a thing?!

But you should know (as a muslim, and i assume you know your own religion?) that it is very much a sin for a young girl to have conversation with a man whilst they are unsupervised. I know a muslim whose father beat her within an inch of her life for this very reason.

I suggest you adopt sarcasm only when you are actually correct , otherwise you sound like an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    There has recently been a thread posted entitled "Do you hate Americans", it has spanned some 500 posts yet no-one seems to have objected to the title.

I speculated as to if the thread would have been acceptable should the question have been asked about people from India or Pakistan. I thought that any such thread would have been deleted with the originator branded a racist.

If the question had been asked "do you hate America?" then it would have been valid because it would have been asking about the country as an entity however as it was AmericanS it was refering to the people as a population and this is surly asking about them as a race.

So, personally I think that the Indian and Pakistanis are a fairly nice bunch who work hard and bring valueable labour to our country. What do you think?

However the main point of this thread is to see how people react. If this thread gets flagged up as "racist" or unacceptable then surly the Americans one has to go too?
    While I see your crafty logic, I also wonder what good is going to come from this thread. You're treading a fine line by askind "do you hate pakistanis..", as someone said, HATE is a very strong word to use.
    I don't think you can compare hating (or at most disliking) america to India and Pakistan.
    People tend to dislike America over Bush's handling of the war in Iraq, his blatantly weighted bias over the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, and for dragging Blair in with him.
    People who hate Pakistan and India however, have little political information to base their sentiments on. Why would anyone hate Pakistan/India for the same reasons as America, as far as I know they have not tried to interfere and fiddle with other countries' politics as America has so infamously done.
    Any hatred towards India/Pakistan is generally racism, and if someone were to respond to your question "Do you hate Indians or Pakistanis?" with a YES, then we'd have a real flame war on our hands.

Furthermore, how do you think any Indians/Pakistanis feel reading this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by airflow)
    there are some nice black/asian/packi people but we need to start moving the stani's back to their country as they have flooded london
    Please don't use the term 'packi'. It's generally considered offensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimoni)

how do you think any americans feel reading the other thread with the exact same title pertaining to americans?!

It seems as though there is definately some kind of double standards going on here....stating that americans are hated because of the country's politics is just as bad as hating someone because of their race; either way, it's hatred.

Further more, the ordinary american individual (towards whom the 'hatred' is directed) has no more control over their country's foreign policy then Indians and Pakistanis have over their colour---> (kind of says something about so-called 'democracy', doesn't it?!)

Hatred of any type is wrong. And what you're saying is that it is perfectly okay to hate people, so long as they're not coloured.

ReputationRep:
    While I see your crafty logic,
    i thought it was blatant, but continue...

I also wonder what good is going to come from this thread. You're treading a fine line by askind "do you hate pakistanis..", as someone said, HATE is a very strong word to use. I don't think you can compare hating (or at most disliking) america to India and Pakistan.
    i cant see why not, all three are large nation states and Britain is also influenced by the culture of all three.

People tend to dislike America over Bush's handling of the war in Iraq, his blatantly weighted bias over the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, and for dragging Blair in with him.
    i dislike the Kashmir situation, the terrorist breeding ground that is Pakistan. what makes grievances against Bush any more valuable?
    as for the blatanted weighted bias, i thought everyone would love seeing Palestine having US support for once? hmm.
    to my knowledge, Tony Blair was a fervent supporter of the war and committed the UK on that grounding. im yet to find any evidence of the contrary.

People who hate Pakistan and India however, have little political information to base their sentiments on. Why would anyone hate Pakistan/India for the same reasons as America, as far as I know they have not tried to interfere and fiddle with other countries' politics as America has so infamously done.
    so? why must it revolve around politics?

Any hatred towards India/Pakistan is generally racism,
    spare the generalisations.

and if someone were to respond to your question "Do you hate Indians or Pakistanis?" with a YES, then we'd have a real flame war on our hands.
    his point.

like the americans reading the 50000th thread about them and their government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    Hatred of any type is wrong. And what you're saying is that it is perfectly okay to hate people, so long as they're not coloured.
    but especially if theyre american, or like Bush or support Israels right to defend itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    how do you think any americans feel reading the other thread with the exact same title pertaining to americans?!
    I'd imagine they would feel similar to a Pakistani reading this thread. I'm not saying I agree with the other thread at all, but note that Indians and Pakistanis are the ethnic minority, and no doubt they could easily feel oppressed.

(Original post by grace)
    Did I say that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    but especially if theyre american, or like Bush or support Israels right to defend itself.
    i know, it's ridiculous that hatred is actually in fashion

ReputationRep:
    Indians and Pakistanis are the ethnic minority, and no doubt they could easily feel oppressed.
    no offence, but that's quite ridiculous. As an individual you personally should feel no more or less opressed than a 'hated' american. Note as well that the difference between this thread and the countless others directed towards americans is that there has been MUCH hatred expressed towards the USA, whereas no one has actually said anything remotely similar about the indians/pakistanis. On the contrary, this thread was (presumabley) created because it is widely accepted that most people would never state hatred towards them, because it is not PC - whereas it seems to be perfectly fine to hate americans.

Why don't you try reading this thread with an open, un-biased mind and you'll see the point which the thread starter was trying to illustrate.

ReputationRep:
    i thought it was blatant, but continue...
    well, thanks for pulling apart all my points

i cant see why not, all three are large nation states and Britain is also influenced by the culture of all three.
    Not in such a major way as America though. American politics affect the whole world on a much greater scale than Indian/Pakistani politics

i dislike the Kashmir situation, the terrorist breeding ground that is Pakistan. what makes grievances against Bush any more valuable?
    as for the blatanted weighted bias, i thought everyone would love seeing Palestine having US support for once? hmm.
    to my knowledge, Tony Blair was a fervent supporter of the war and committed the UK on that grounding. im yet to find any evidence of the contrary.
    Fair point

so? why must it revolve around politics?
    Well for what other reasons are you going to base your 'hatred' of the Indians/Pakistanis on?

ReputationRep:
    So you agree with Bush's unfair treatment of the Israeli conflict? In my opinion, It's this injustice, in the full view of the whole world (a huge majority of which is muslim) which is stirring up anti-american sentiment from Islamic cultures at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    no offence, but that's quite ridiculous. As an individual you personally should feel no more or less opressed than a 'hated' american. Note as well that the difference between this thread and the countless others directed towards americans is that there has been MUCH hatred expressed towards the USA, whereas no one has actually said anything remotely similar about the indians/pakistanis. On the contrary, this thread was (presumabley) created because it is widely accepted that most people would never state hatred towards them, because it is not PC - whereas it seems to be perfectly fine to hate americans.

Why don't you try reading this thread with an open, un-biased mind and you'll see the point which the thread starter was trying to illustrate.
    None taken
    I sincerely doubt many people in this country 'hate' America. As I said before, I think at most dislike because of their foreign policies.
    Look, hating a whole culture in general is wrong, (could that be defined as racism, or is that that acting upon your hatred?). I dont think the hating america thread is any better than this

ReputationRep:
    Not in such a major way as America though. American politics affect the whole world on a much greater scale than Indian/Pakistani politics
    Okay, so you admit that not agreeing with a country's policies does not justify "hatred". Yet, towards America, such "hatred" is justified, because American politics have such a huge influence on the world.

In other words, it's ok to hate America, just because she is powerful!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizero)
    Okay, so you admit that not agreeing with a country's policies does not justify "hatred". Yet, towards America, such "hatred" is justified, because American politics have such a huge influence on the world.

In other words, it's ok to hate America, just because she is powerful!?
    I don't get it, I never said it was OK to hate America. I think hatred towards any culture is wrong.
    However. If you dislike what America is doing policitally, as do I, then you're entitled to that opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Britain is a capitalist society, do we have a good one? and what is 'good'?
    France also has a market economy and is a capitalist society too. The fact that it has a welfare system, albeit better (better in the way that the average Frenchman can get more out of it) than the British IMO doesn't change much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Who's ****ging off the Americans? Give me an example of a major main stream organisation, I mean aside from the drunken louts in your local bar - who're just as good with ****ging off non-white Asylum Seekers.

It's criticism aimed at American foreign policy that we're seeing with greater frequency, is that 'anti-Americanism'? When Economists' criticise the system of corporate governance and finance in Japan, are they branded anti-Japan-ists?
    Well that's the thing isn't it: people who are opposed to American foreign policy end up making a huge generality. But look at how many people still haven't forgiven the Germans for WW2. There are many Asian people (Indians and Pakistani for example!) who dislike British people from the start because in their mind, we're all colonials and oppressors. They got their image of British people from the actions of the UK government during the colonial days.
    I live in France, in Lyon where there's a strong muslim community and there have been anti-semitism problems (a synagogue was burnt down a while ago). I'm afraid to wear a shirt with the US flag on.
    What people forget too, is that there's strong opposition within the US and George W Bush is hated by half of the population.
    I was in the New England region for a few months and when I tell people that they suppose that everyone there is pro-Bush pro-Iraq. The fact is there's probably more opposition against the war and against Bush in New England than most European countries. It's something you even notice in the street.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.