Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    I know this may sound off-topic but why are Eurosceptics sometimes labelled anti-European? They may not like the EEC/EU but that doesn't mean they have racist views on any of the member states that belong to the EEC/EU at that time. Guess it's all about being PC...
    Eurosceptics aren't anti-European. They're not even sceptic when it comes to the EU. They're more or less the people who don't think there should be further integration between the EU countries. When the Treaty of Rome was signed in 1957, noone said that there was going to be a European superstate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimoni)
    I don't get it, I never said it was OK to hate America. I think hatred towards any culture is wrong.
    However. If you dislike what America is doing policitally, as do I, then you're entitled to that opinion.
    Post #46 :"I don't think you can compare hating (or at most disliking) america to India and Pakistan."
    That is the statement I disagree with.

Initially, you justified your statement by saying that "hatred" (dislike is probably the proper term) against America was politically motivated, whereas hatred/dislike towards India/Pakistan was racially motivated.

Vienna said that you can also dislike India/Pakistan on political grounds.

You accepted her point, but you argued, that still there was no comparison between "hatred" towards America and India/Pakistan, because dislike towards America is more justified as American politics affect the whole world.

That's the point I'm disputing here. My argument is that the mere fact that America is powerful, does not make "hatred" towards it any better than "hatred" towards any other country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Eurosceptics aren't anti-European. They're not even sceptic when it comes to the EU. They're more or less the people who don't think there should be further integration between the EU countries. When the Treaty of Rome was signed in 1957, noone said that there was going to be a European superstate.
    It used the phrase "ever-closer union"...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pepper)
    I wouldn't say that I hate them, as they're not worth hating. But I dislike Pakistanis/Indians.

I'm the first to admit that I'm racist, and I'm ashamed of it.
    Why do u hate Pakistani's and Indians? You didnt really justify why. I'd like to know, I'm quite curious?...i guess

ReputationRep:
    So you agree with Bush's unfair treatment of the Israeli conflict?
    i wouldnt say unfair. unfortunately, he has to bend to the Palestinians to counter the whole media bias. im fairly comfortable with his policies in this area.

In my opinion, It's this injustice, in the full view of the whole world (a huge majority of which is muslim) which is stirring up anti-american sentiment from Islamic cultures at the moment.
    oh, so you think the bias is against Palestine!! hehe..my mistake..and naivety!

what if it was fair, it wasnt an injustice? would the volatile muslim world feel any different?

ps. there is no injustice btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizero)
    Post #46 :"I don't think you can compare hating (or at most disliking) america to India and Pakistan."

Initially, you justified your statement by saying that "hatred" (dislike is probably the proper term) against America was politically motivated, whereas hatred/dislike towards India/Pakistan was racially motivated.

You accepted her point, but you argued, that still there was no comparison between "hatred" towards America and India/Pakistan, because dislike towards America is more justified as American politics affect the whole world.

That's the point I'm disputing here. My argument is that the mere fact that America is powerful, does not make "hatred" towards it any better than "hatred" towards any other country.
    You can easily dislike the US for racial reasons: too many mexicans, asians and catholics.

ReputationRep:
    Please don't use the term 'packi'. It's generally considered offensive.

I'm Pakistani...I agree with you, I find it extremely offensive. Meh...

back to the thread topic though...I dont hate Americans at all. I love America, it's a beautiful country with friendly people...well judging by the places I've been too. They are respectful, polite and have a great sense of humour.

I think it's just this whole war on terror thing that has made people hate America...and I know some people that do. Being a Muslim...Pakistani-muslim to be more precise, I find that the 9/11 attacks were disgusting.

I think it's wrong to generalise...whether its on America's behalf or other races. I think its wrong for people to say ALL jews are wrong...or ALL muslims are wrong or that ALL americans are wrong...I think if there was a non-human race (being really unrealistic here...) and they witness a group of humans shooting someone and they generalised saying all humans are wrong that would be wrong. OK am i being confusing....sorry

Yeah so God Bless America..it's not the civilians' faults that they went to war with Iraq..why blame them :confused:

ReputationRep:
    You can easily dislike the US for racial reasons: too many mexicans, asians and catholics.
    no. because they would be Hispanic, Afro or European Americans. if you discriminate on race, it makes no sense to 'hate americans'.

ReputationRep:

Ok, I see your point.. If we put it in terms of 'dislike' instead of 'hatred'.. hatred for me implies it could be racially motivated. However.. With power comes responsibility (*resists urge to use cliché*), America has far more global intervention than any other country in the world

the mere fact that America is powerful, does not make "hatred" towards it any better than "hatred" towards any other country
    So, if you compare the dislike towards America (the world's superpower) to the hatred towards a Nation such as.. Iceland. Which would be more justified?
    I am not saying it is alright or "better" for people to dislike America over other countries, what I am saying though is that it is understandable

ReputationRep:
    kimoni's argument is based upon the assumption that the US are hated because of their politics, the indians because theyre non-white. the latter being unacceptable, the former justified. i disagree.

ReputationRep:
    Excuse me, but 'too many'?
    Are you saying there's something wrong with mexicans, asians and catholics then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    kimoni's argument is based upon the assumption that the US are hated because of their politics, the indians because theyre non-white. the latter being unacceptable, the former justified. i disagree.
    So do you believe that it is acceptable to 'hate' someone because they are non-white, or that it is unnacceptable to 'hate' someone for their politics?

I stand by my argument that it is unnacceptabe to dislike someone because of a factor they can't help, i.e. their skin colour. If you disagree with someone's political views, then that's your opinion.

...the indians because theyre non-white.
    And as you well know, not all Americans are white!

ReputationRep:
    wen i read nehas post about muslims bein tha onli race that totally abides by their religion...i wos like wtf....i knw full fact that ain't tru....but i aint gna b 1 2 argue that tha majority of them do! ....but not sayin that utha races dnt!

i c wat u mean m.kk.....wen u say i hate americans many people will agree and diss them down no sweat...but wen u say summat like i hate indians/pakistanis....u get loads of them sayin that ur bein racist...so yea it works both ways!

ReputationRep:
    I am not saying it is alright or "better" for people to dislike America over other countries, what I am saying though is that it is understandable
    people can hate whoever they like for whatever reason. we disagree that hatred towards one is more acceptable than the other.

ReputationRep:

Perhaps the (percieved?) way in which America uses its power is justification enough for disliking it; assuming that by America you mean its administration, and not its citizens. Purely in terms of its politics, how can you hate India or Pakistan if its impact (at least on a govermental scale) on global politics is small.

ReputationRep:

oh yea???? :rolleyes: 2 many mexicanz??? now y do i think that wos 1 of tha ********. argumentative points u cud *** up wiv seein as there is a Country called ...believe it or not sammy boi....'Mexico'!.....well well.....so 2 many mexicans ....damn rite there shud b cuz it is their damn country or do u own tha ****** place????....next u'll b sayin that england has 2 many english people living there? :rolleyes:

u need 2 do ur research m8y!!!

ReputationRep:
    So do you believe that it is acceptable to 'hate' someone because they are non-white, or that it is unnacceptable to 'hate' someone for their politics?
    i disagree that you can be objective in justifying hatred of americans, with hatred of anyone else. the point was that people might hate indians for a variety of other reasons, but youve assumed that it is universally a racial hatred.

I stand by my argument that it is unnacceptabe to dislike someone because of a factor they can't help, i.e. their skin colour. If you disagree with someone's political views, then that's your opinion.
    and im telling you that to assume all hatred of indians is racist and all hatred of americans is political is plain wrong.

And as you well know, not all Americans are white!
    quite. thats my point.

ReputationRep:
    Heh...about four posts actually address the topic title. :P
    I've got nowt against Indians or Pakistanis.

ReputationRep:

People who hate Pakistan and India however, have little political information to base their sentiments on. Why would anyone hate Pakistan/India for the same reasons as America, as far as I know they have not tried to interfere and fiddle with other countries' politics as America has so infamously done.

so? why must it revolve around politics?

Any hatred towards India/Pakistan is generally racism,

spare the generalisations.

So if hatred towards Indians and Pakistanis is not to be justified on racial or political grounds, what, Vienna, do you think is is justified on?

In the UK racism exists, there's no denying that, but I think in the UK its based on purely racial grounds; a combination of a lack of cultural understanding combined with the perception that they take all our jobs/cars/money/commit crime/abuse our welfare system.

Just to clarify, I don't think racism is at all justified, but some people will base their racial prejudices on the above myths.

ReputationRep:
    people can hate whoever they like for whatever reason. we disagree that hatred towards one is more acceptable than the other.
    Dislike, not hate.
    Do you not think it's understandable that people dislike America for their politics?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.