I just crashed my first car :(

Watch
LavenderBlueSky88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm so embarrassed! It wasn't even a proper crash just bumped into a parked car.

I've now got a bit of a crumpled bonnet. It's OK to drive around like that right? There's nothing wrong with the lights/indicators.

Waaahhhhh.
william walker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Take it to a garage.
F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
I'm so embarrassed! It wasn't even a proper crash just bumped into a parked car.

I've now got a bit of a crumpled bonnet. It's OK to drive around like that right? There's nothing wrong with the lights/indicators.

Waaahhhhh.
If the bonnet is crumpled then it might have implications on the radiator at the front and if that leaks then you've had it.

This thread is best in motoring, I'll get a mod to do it for you
XMaramena
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Waaahhhhh.
Assuming you contacted the vehicle owner to exchange details.

Take it to a garage - depending on how much damage was done, if it's purely cosmetic, things like bonnets and bumpers are easy to replace. But the concern would be if the bump tore a fuel or oil line that could be slowly dripping away.

^^Also as said above, the radiator could be damaged. Things like that are more pricey to replace, and would probably mean you getting a new car.
Mystery.
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
Hahahahaha.

Sorry m8.
LavenderBlueSky88
Rep:
?
(Original post by XMaramena)
Assuming you contacted the vehicle owner to exchange details.

Take it to a garage - depending on how much damage was done, if it's purely cosmetic, things like bonnets and bumpers are easy to replace. But the concern would be if the bump tore a fuel or oil line that could be slowly dripping away.

^^Also as said above, the radiator could be damaged. Things like that are more pricey to replace, and would probably mean you getting a new car.
Yeah he was in his car at the time, it was a bigger car and I just made a small dent in his bumper so he said don't worry about insurance which was very nice of him!

I was parking so going very slow, from what it seems it's purely the plastic that has crumpled along the corner, there is no damage to the bonnet itself . Nothing inside the car seems out of place it's purely the plastic.
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So long as the car is mechanically OK a dent doesn't matter.
... other thant he fact it's a clear advertisment to all and sundry that you can't drive.
money-for-all
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
lemme give you a tip , don't crash yer whip
LavenderBlueSky88
Rep:
?
(Original post by JC.)
So long as the car is mechanically OK a dent doesn't matter.
... other thant he fact it's a clear advertisment to all and sundry that you can't drive.
It's true! I can't!

I could just lie and say someone crashed into me though
XMaramena
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah he was in his car at the time, it was a bigger car and I just made a small dent in his bumper so he said don't worry about insurance which was very nice of him!

I was parking so going very slow, from what it seems it's purely the plastic that has crumpled along the corner, there is no damage to the bonnet itself . Nothing inside the car seems out of place it's purely the plastic.
Yup there's no requirement to inform your insurance company if you have an accident, and often just footing the repair yourself for minor cosmetics - or even entire panel replacements - will cost less than the increase in insurance premium you'll pay by getting it fixed on insurance.

I would still take it to a garage to have it checked over, and if your bumper and bonnet need replacing, I would have that done. You never know, you could have knocked a few fixings out of place on the bumper that could cause it to come loose at some point in the future.

Best safe than sorry, but good news that you didn't have to go through insurance and the other party was nice about it

What car is it?
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's true! I can't!

I could just lie and say someone crashed into me though
I once saw a bentley continental pull in to a petrol station with a big dent in the front wing not long after they were first released.
Next to the dent was a big arrow in black marker pen and the words "my husband did this" in 4 inch high letters.
kernow24
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by XMaramena)
Yup there's no requirement to inform your insurance company if you have an accident, and often just footing the repair yourself for minor cosmetics - or even entire panel replacements - will cost less than the increase in insurance premium you'll pay by getting it fixed on insurance.

I would still take it to a garage to have it checked over, and if your bumper and bonnet need replacing, I would have that done. You never know, you could have knocked a few fixings out of place on the bumper that could cause it to come loose at some point in the future.

Best safe than sorry, but good news that you didn't have to go through insurance and the other party was nice about it

What car is it?
yes there is, most insurance policies specify that you have to inform them of any incidents or accidents even if you don't make a claim.

worth having your insurance cancelled and being pretty much uninsurable for 6 years?
XMaramena
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kernow24)
yes there is, most insurance policies specify that you have to inform them of any incidents or accidents even if you don't make a claim.

worth having your insurance cancelled and being pretty much uninsurable for 6 years?
I have never had that, perhaps there are insurers that require that. But as standard, there's no law that requires such action to be taken. I should perhaps have made that a little clearer, you're right.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (76)
14.05%
I'm not sure (23)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (172)
31.79%
I have already dropped out (11)
2.03%
I'm not a current university student (259)
47.87%

Watched Threads