Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My school does not offer an Astronomy GCSE course but I saw the GCSE online and I thought it would be a great opportunity. So, I asked my Physics teacher if he thought it would be a good idea. But the problem is I do not know how to get started with doing a GCSE outside of school (My physics teacher said that I could do the coursework with him after school). Any help to get started would be welcomed. Thanks in advance.

(Original post by SchrodingersMatt)
    My school does not offer an Astronomy GCSE course but I saw the GCSE online and I thought it would be a great opportunity. So, I asked my Physics teacher if he thought it would be a good idea. But the problem is I do not know how to get started with doing a GCSE outside of school (My physics teacher said that I could do the coursework with him after school). Any help to get started would be welcomed. Thanks in advance.
    There's a great website for this: www.astronomygcse.co.uk. It goes through each of the topics you need to know point-by-point as it is in the specification. It also gives you some advice about coursework.

However, you will need to find a centre, preferably your own school, to send off the coursework that you produce. Not having a teacher's guidance is somewhat unfortunate as they can usually help you get your coursework cleaned up and give it the best chance when it's moderated. You'll also need to find and register with an exam centre that is happy to let you sit the exam with them as a private candidate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    There's a great website for this: www.astronomygcse.co.uk. It goes through each of the topics you need to know point-by-point as it is in the specification. It also gives you some advice about coursework.

However, you will need to find a centre, preferably your own school, to send off the coursework that you produce. Not having a teacher's guidance is somewhat unfortunate as they can usually help you get your coursework cleaned up and give it the best chance when it's moderated. You'll also need to find and register with an exam centre that is happy to let you sit the exam with them as a private candidate.
    Thank you, Hydeman, so if my school will seat my exam and I give them my course work, will they do the rest? Or is there anything else, which I have to do?

(Original post by SchrodingersMatt)
    Thank you, Hydeman, so if my school will seat my exam and I give them my course work, will they do the rest? Or is there anything else, which I have to do?
    Well, first of all you need to ask them whether they're willing to do this for you as this doesn't sound like an exam they normally run so that might be a consideration - they might not want to pay for the invigilation of an exam being taken by only one person. The relevant people would be your exams officer and your physics teacher.

You'll also need to complete the coursework by a specific deadline, which is different every year but you'll need to do some research to make sure you've sent it off by then otherwise it won't be counted.

ReputationRep:
    You could do an online course and sit the exams in a local examination centre, I think you would be able to teach yourself quite well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Well, first of all you need to ask them whether they're willing to do this for you as this doesn't sound like an exam they normally run so that might be a consideration - they might not want to pay for the invigilation of an exam being taken by only one person. The relevant people would be your exams officer and your physics teacher.

You'll also need to complete the coursework by a specific deadline, which is different every year but you'll need to do some research to make sure you've sent it off by then otherwise it won't be counted.
    Thank you. Finance will not be an issue as my Mother said that she would be able to pay for it if my school wouldn't. I will do some research now and I will try and find the deadline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CSL123)
    You could do an online course and sit the exams in a local examination centre, I think you would be able to teach yourself quite well
    Thanks, by any chance, do you know which website does the course online?

ReputationRep:
    I think that this may be one:
    http://www.starlearner.com/gcse-astr...-learning.aspx
    but I suggest you read all the smallprint and check prices etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CSL123)
    I think that this may be one:
    http://www.starlearner.com/gcse-astr...-learning.aspx
    but I suggest you read all the smallprint and check prices etc
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    You wont be able to do it this year as the exsam is the 20th May. You could do it next year as you can learn the content in a year. I did mine last year, if your not sure, look at some past papers and revison stuff at www.astronomygcse.cf

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.